E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > M-tech bumper on a SE E90?

11-05-2008, 05:02 AM   #1
giotecno
THE DIESEL WEASEL
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Garage List
2017 BMW 330e  [0.00]
2005 320D ES  [0.00]
M-tech bumper on a SE E90?

Guys, just a quickie Can I add a mtec rear bumper to my non mtec E90 without it looking odd or out of place due to side skirts etc? and do I need additional parts beside the plastic bit on the mtec rear bumper. I like the look of my car but the mtec rear looks better. any thoughts on this? Also does anybody know if the alpina D3 front bumper uses the same parts from the normal SE E90. From pictures the fogs look the same, unlike the Mtec front. Thx
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
giotecno
THE DIESEL WEASEL
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 330e  [0.00]
2005 320D ES  [0.00]
Guys any info on this?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I would not change a rear bumper without changing the front tbh - I think it would look odd?

You could poss add the small front lips to each side of the SE front bumper to make it look more aggressive, that way you would retain all your front fogs, etc..

There are normally quite a few M sport bumpers on ebay - you might get one in the correct colour?

You have gotta be careful that whatever you do is tasteful as you will get hit when you come to re-sell or part-ex. People may wonder why just the rear bumper does not match? You either need the whole look or none of it IMO.

Can't answer your questions about the Alpina stuff, sorry.

Last edited by M3-FAST; 11-06-2008 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 02:36 AM   #4
giotecno
THE DIESEL WEASEL
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 330e  [0.00]
2005 320D ES  [0.00]
Thanks Red...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
I would not change a rear bumper without changing the front tbh - I think it would look odd?

You have gotta be careful that whatever you do is tasteful as you will get hot when you come to re-sell or part-ex. People may wonder why just the rear bumper does not match? You either need the whole look or none of it IMO.
( no offence red, not laughing at you, just our complete different views )

i changed my SE front for a Msport front bumper, i dont care that they are now classed as 'missmatched' or whatever, and besides i didnt like the Msport crappy plastic 'diffuser' that much it swayed me to an SE, now it has a Msport front its complete ! Whats this about you either need the whole look or none of it Individuality is the way to go, just not OTT. I think mine is tastefully done

Back to your original question, im not sure on the E90, but when i changed my front i needed a few extra bits ( fog lamps, fog lamp brackets, air intakes ) not sure what you will need for the back, but i wouldnt imagine it would be a straight forward job ! My advise is go to the parts department of the dealer and they will bring it up on the screen to compare the two back ends, thats what i did

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
( no offence red, not laughing at you, just our complete different views )

i changed my SE front for a Msport front bumper, i dont care that they are now classed as 'missmatched' or whatever, and besides i didnt like the Msport crappy plastic 'diffuser' that much it swayed me to an SE, now it has a Msport front its complete ! Whats this about you either need the whole look or none of it Individuality is the way to go, just not OTT. I think mine is tastefully done

Back to your original question, im not sure on the E90, but when i changed my front i needed a few extra bits ( fog lamps, fog lamp brackets, air intakes ) not sure what you will need for the back, but i wouldnt imagine it would be a straight forward job ! My advise is go to the parts department of the dealer and they will bring it up on the screen to compare the two back ends, thats what i did
tbh Chris, I would not be opposed to changing just the front, as there is nothing wrong with the SE rear bumper, but adding an M-sport rear and leaving the front untouched surely would look pretty odd? I do quite like the SE front with the seperate 'splitter' lip bits that make it look more agressive.

You are correct, it is about individuality but these are expensive bits of kit and you don't want to do too much that is going to 'hit' at re-sale time. If I viewed a car with just an odd back bumper, would make me think it had suffered a rear end bump at some time? I also agree that the M-sport bumper is pretty crap and would not choose to bolt one onto an SE if I owned one.

My point I was trying to make (possibly badly), was that if he was making the rear look sporty it might be worth trying make the front a little more aggressive to balance the look and make it look more complete.

Last edited by M3-FAST; 11-06-2008 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 12:45 AM   #7
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
tbh Chris, I would not be opposed to changing just the front, as there is nothing wrong with the SE rear bumper, but adding an M-sport rear and leaving the front untouched surely would look pretty odd? I do quite like the SE front with the seperate 'splitter' lip bits that make it look more agressive.

You are correct, it is about individuality but these are expensive bits of kit and you don't want to do too much that is going to 'hit' at re-sale time. If I viewed a car with just an odd back bumper, would make me think it had suffered a rear end bump at some time? I also agree that the M-sport bumper is pretty crap and would not choose to bolt one onto an SE if I owned one.

My point I was trying to make (possibly badly), was that if he was making the rear look sporty it might be worth trying make the front a little more aggressive to balance the look and make it look more complete.
i do respect your opinions, and in this case

( i totally agree on the aftersale value bit, but in the same way, dealers dont give you a decent price for any official specced 'toys', surely when you spend spend money on a 'fully loaded car' its gonna loose more than a car with a new ''official'' BMW front bumper ... either way its gonna depreciate, but i wouldnt spend this kind of money on a car and not enjoy owning it 100%, i dont buy a new car to just own it and keep the value )

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 03:49 AM   #8
giotecno
THE DIESEL WEASEL
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 330e  [0.00]
2005 320D ES  [0.00]
Guys your input is excellent, firstly my main worry was the side skirts as will it align properly or not? Secondly I was planning on getting a m sport rear bumper and front bumper upgrade not m sport as the fogs and bits are different, this is why I asked about the Alpina D3 front bumper as it seems the fogs and the grills look identical to the normal SE bumper except the lower apron Has the Alpina Sign and looks more aggressive
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 04:40 AM   #9
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by giotecno View Post
Guys your input is excellent, firstly my main worry was the side skirts as will it align properly or not? Secondly I was planning on getting a m sport rear bumper and front bumper upgrade not m sport as the fogs and bits are different, this is why I asked about the Alpina D3 front bumper as it seems the fogs and the grills look identical to the normal SE bumper except the lower apron Has the Alpina Sign and looks more aggressive
Makes perfect sense I am pretty sure the skirts will line up perfectly - I think just the side profile is a little more aggresive looking in M-sport guise. There are guys who have fitted M skirts to non-M 92's so pretty sure the actual 'size' and fitment will be the same. Would not make sense cost-wise to BMW to differ the mountings?

Search around on these forums, especially the US ones as M-sport is not available as standard over there, and they seem to love bolting on the Euro M-sport bits
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 05:19 AM   #10
rsyed
Lieutenant
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW

check out www.salesafter.de - they have some good deals on the m bumpers.

Insta: bmw.shitbox
Appreciate 0