BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Sudden loss of power & rough idle

06-11-2021, 12:23 AM   #1
Froggi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Sudden loss of power & rough idle

I had an issue with my M2 today and was hoping to get some feedback from the community.

I was driving home on the expressway today, cruising along at a high rate of speed in 6th gear. Then I felt a thunk like my car had a hiccup and I had a sudden drop in power. So I slowed down and continued on the expressway. When I was off the expressway in stop and go traffic, I could feel the car wasn't running right. When I would press the accelerate pedal there was a significant lack of power and slow or hesitant acceleration. Also when shifting gears the acceleration was choppy. Sometimes power would kick in suddenly like it popped into gear.

There were no check engine lights, no warnings on the dash or in idrive. Vehicle status in idrive is OK.

I wasn't far, so I carefully drove it home like an old lady. When I got home I turned off the car, looked around, under, and in the engine bay and nothing visibly wrong. After a few minutes I turned the car back on and it was idling very rough. Still no warnings or lights.

Due to the rough idling, I don't think it's transmission related. But I'm no mechanic, so not sure what it could be. Has anybody had an issue like this with their M2 or any ideas what it might be? Did a quick search on the forums, but could not find anything that matched my experience.

My M2 is completely stock, purchased new in 2017. I only have 20,000 miles on it. It spends most of its time sitting in the garage. Never had any serious issue with my car. It's been bullet proof until now.

I plan to call in the morning to get it looked at by a professional. But I'm kind of freaking out tonight worried about it. And of course my warranty ended about 2 months ago.

Last edited by Froggi; 06-11-2021 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 01:21 AM   #2
toned
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C

charge pipe?
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1778902

seems to have a very similar experience then yours...

bang, loss of power, rough idle
Appreciate 1
Froggi60.00
      06-11-2021, 10:58 AM   #3
Froggi
Private
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the feedback. I took a look and that is exactly what happened. Dammit I'm pissed and disappointed in BMW that they would use such a flawed part on a performance car. If this part is prone to failure you would think BMW should do a recall. I checked my VIN and there are no recalls on my car. It's like it was purposely designed to last just past the 4 year warranty period.

I hope I didn't hurt my engine driving it home like that, about 10 miles?

Oh well... Since it has to be replaced, I guess I might as well upgrade to an aftermarket metal charge pipe, instead of replacing with the plastic OEM. Looks like VRSF, Turner, and Active Autowerke make upgrades. I'll do some more research on these.

Enjoy some pics of the damage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 04:05 AM   #4
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggi View Post

I hope I didn't hurt my engine driving it home like that, about 10 miles?
No.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 03:45 PM   #5
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Sucks but at least it's ok. Def glad I put a forge CP on my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 08:50 PM   #6
Froggi
Private
United_States
Rep

Got a VRSF charge pipe installed a few days ago. Car is running great now.
Appreciate 2