E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Strange noise-Help !

11-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90-320d

Strange noise-Help !

Had a strange noise the last couple of weeks I cant put my finger on. I am pretty sure it wasnt there before it went in for the steering column change but I dont think it has anything to do with that anyway.
Its hard to describe really, its only there when I slow right down to a stop, like a drone. Brake pads arent that worn so can rule them out. Its as if the tyres are worn but the fronts are brand new and there is no vibration at all during driving. The rears need renewing but the noise is coming from the front I have revved the engine at standstill and everything sounds 'normal', but there is a slight hollow whistle noise as the revs drop, I have to stick my head out the window to hear it though.

Anyone have any ideas ?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a sexy 325i

Garage List
Hi there!

I have a 325i, and have been to the dealer many times reporting a slow/soft-grinding noise coming from under the car.

It seems for me anyway, it is the case of the fuel pump. The noise is a resonance transmitted into the cabin when the fuel is being pumped at a certain pressure, i.e. when the engine is under load.

BMW say there is a fix being developed and that it happens on a lot of vehicles, but on some the noise is more noticeable.

Then again, I'm not sure if this noise you experience the same noise as mine, especially as you drive a diesel.
Try turning the car off and rolling down a hill in 1st gear, to make sure it isn't your transmission or brakes.

If the noise isn't there I suggest you tell your dealer, asking them to check the fuel pump and lines.
BMW say the problem in no way affects the car mechanically and drives as normal.

Hope this helps.

TSL

-=E92 325i M Sport-Alpine White-Saddle Brown-NavPro-Bluetooth-Individual Sound-6FL-Brushed Aluminium=-
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
andy69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90-320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=TSL=- View Post
Hi there!

I have a 325i, and have been to the dealer many times reporting a slow/soft-grinding noise coming from under the car.

It seems for me anyway, it is the case of the fuel pump. The noise is a resonance transmitted into the cabin when the fuel is being pumped at a certain pressure, i.e. when the engine is under load.

BMW say there is a fix being developed and that it happens on a lot of vehicles, but on some the noise is more noticeable.

Then again, I'm not sure if this noise you experience the same noise as mine, especially as you drive a diesel.
Try turning the car off and rolling down a hill in 1st gear, to make sure it isn't your transmission or brakes.

If the noise isn't there I suggest you tell your dealer, asking them to check the fuel pump and lines.
BMW say the problem in no way affects the car mechanically and drives as normal.

Hope this helps.

TSL
Hi TSL,

No dont think it is the fuel pump, the noise you descibe is not really what im getting. I will have to wait until the next service i suppose as is out of warranty, so will ask them to check brakes etc anyway.

Its so bloody annoying though, its been great the last year this car now as its come towards the end of warranty all hell is breaking loose !
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
-=TSL=-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a sexy 325i

Garage List
lol, coincidence? hmmmm...

-=E92 325i M Sport-Alpine White-Saddle Brown-NavPro-Bluetooth-Individual Sound-6FL-Brushed Aluminium=-
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Coops
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 325i M-Sport Coupe

Strange noise

A similar noise started on mine (325i M Sport Coupe) 2 weeks ago. Dealer checked it out and said it is fuel noise. They are awaiting a fix (Mid Jan). The noise can be very anoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
i had a funny noise, when i was on the motorway only when i dropped a gear and floored it, i found out that one of my cup holders wasnt pushed in right, noise stopped
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbirch View Post
i had a funny noise, when i was on the motorway only when i dropped a gear and floored it, i found out that one of my cup holders wasnt pushed in right, noise stopped
Thats what you get for storing pint cans of Stella in them.
      12-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Thats what you get for storing pint cans of Stella in them.
well it was the passenger side one that was doing it, so it may of been me lol
Appreciate 0