F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Winter wheels off
ARMA SPEED

05-30-2021, 05:03 AM   #1
smorg99
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e M Sport

Winter wheels off

I've been very lazy and still have my winters on, so gonna change them this week.

I'm cross with myself as I forgot to mark which corner they came off.

They're staggered so front/rear is easy but does it particularly matter if they don't go on exactly as they came off?

No difference in wear that I can see either.
      05-30-2021, 07:15 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

As long as they are not directional, it is not too critical, particularly if the wear looks pretty even, as you have observed.

BMW don't recommend putting part worn tyres in different positions, as tyres do wear to the 'corner' they are on.

I've deliberately put part worn tyres back on in different positions, to see if I can detect any difference in handling and steering precision. My own case, no discernible observations.

A lot depends on the mileage between rotational changes. Tyre rotation, as many tyre manufacturer's recommend, needs to be kept to sensible mileage (around 5,000 miles), if we are to get the best from wear and maintain optimum performance from the tyres.
Appreciate 1
smorg9967.50
      05-30-2021, 05:30 PM   #3
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
As long as the tyres are not directional, or if they are then the arrow is pointing in the correct direction, then I wouldn't worry much.

I never make a note of which corner the winters were on. I just check the tread thoroughly for damage/punctures and measure it in a few places, each wheel is always within 1mm of all the others pretty much.

225/45/18 square on 8J wheels, so all identical.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 04:37 AM   #4
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

If they are directional, you can only put them on one way so will always go back on the same corners, arrows will show you the direction of rotation.

If not then maybe not a problem, although I always put mine back on the same corners. If my nearside front has done say 12k miles and generally rotated anti clockwise during that time, if I then put it on the offside front I'm effectively running it in reverse, not sure that's a great idea. With all the stresses and strains tyres get do they not settle and wear uniquely to position on the car and to the direction of rotation?
Appreciate 0