E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N51 Eccentric shaft issues

05-27-2021, 05:41 AM   #1
xezo
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328xi N51

N51 Eccentric shaft issues

Hello,

Recently took my car to a mechanic to check my engine health, overall something is wrong with Eccentric shaft angles. Before the valvetronic adaptations, actual angle was 35 (deg) and specified ones are 40 (deg). After adaptations and angle changed to 37 (deg ) but still of the specified angle. No specific codes are stored in ECU, but I'm thinking could it be bad valvetronic motor or the eccentric shaft sensor ? Can it cause misfires ?

Car is mounted with LPG system, but driving with LPG is horrible. Getting misfires specific on cylinder 5 if I push it above 3k RPM. On gas, everything is fine, can push it to the redline. Took to the mechanics to fix LPG, but they say something is wrong with the engine.

Last edited by xezo; 05-27-2021 at 05:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 05:01 PM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xezo View Post
Hello,

Recently took my car to a mechanic to check my engine health, overall something is wrong with Eccentric shaft angles. Before the valvetronic adaptations, actual angle was 35 (deg) and specified ones are 40 (deg). After adaptations and angle changed to 37 (deg ) but still of the specified angle. No specific codes are stored in ECU, but I'm thinking could it be bad valvetronic motor or the eccentric shaft sensor ? Can it cause misfires ?

Car is mounted with LPG system, but driving with LPG is horrible. Getting misfires specific on cylinder 5 if I push it above 3k RPM. On gas, everything is fine, can push it to the redline. Took to the mechanics to fix LPG, but they say something is wrong with the engine.
Sounds wrong,

BMW build in some pretty tight safety system into the VVL system. If the DME is not happy with the feedback, it jumps into an emergency mode and opens the intake valve lift to max and uses the throttle body to control engine load.

Nothing in this system is going to cause misfires.
Appreciate 0