BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Injector Question

05-25-2021, 07:42 AM   #1
js0228
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive and M2

Injector Question

Can anyone here help me with the question I have?

How can I tell which injector(s) are in my car? It a 2018 bmw m2 lci model. I'm getting misfire from cylinder 1 and I wanted to change all of my injector(s) just incase. The dealer was asking me if I had EU5, or if it's EU6 injector in my car. Is there a way for me to check which injector(s) that my car came with? He said I need to know in order for me to put the correct one(s) in to my car. If I change all of them to EU5 or EU6 does it still matter? Or does it only matter if I'm only changing 1? If I use (ProTool) app would it tell me which injectors are in my car?

My plugs are brand new as well as my coils.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 11:02 AM   #2
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by js0228 View Post
Can anyone here help me with the question I have?

How can I tell which injector(s) are in my car? It a 2018 bmw m2 lci model. I'm getting misfire from cylinder 1 and I wanted to change all of my injector(s) just incase. The dealer was asking me if I had EU5, or if it's EU6 injector in my car. Is there a way for me to check which injector(s) that my car came with? He said I need to know in order for me to put the correct one(s) in to my car. If I change all of them to EU5 or EU6 does it still matter? Or does it only matter if I'm only changing 1? If I use (ProTool) app would it tell me which injectors are in my car?

My plugs are brand new as well as my coils.
Our N55 M2s run the EU6 injectors. You'll want to run the EU6 injectors (No coding required). If you run the EU5s you'll need to code for it and run a custom tune.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 07:23 PM   #3
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

If you change injectors don't forget the decoupling elements they're critical to replace as well. Also you'll have to use ista to recalibrate the injectors with the flow values provided with them.
      05-25-2021, 07:31 PM   #4
rdriggett
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

What kind of dealer asks the customer which OEM parts fit their car? That's literally their job.
Appreciate 3
F87source7294.00
swampfox941186.50
      05-25-2021, 08:17 PM   #5
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdriggett View Post
What kind of dealer asks the customer which OEM parts fit their car? That's literally their job.
LoL ikr!

Might be a used car lot.
      05-26-2021, 10:35 AM   #6
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
If you change injectors don't forget the decoupling elements they're critical to replace as well. Also you'll have to use ista to recalibrate the injectors with the flow values provided with them.
There isn't a need to recalibrate the EU6 injectors with flow values if the car is EU6 designated. You only need to reset adaptations after the install.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage

Last edited by -Eidos; 05-26-2021 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
There isn't a need to recalibrate the EU6 injectors with flow values if the car is EU6 designated. You only need to reset adaptations after the install.
Don't the injectors have flow variances between them that you need to register with ISTA?

I'm not quite sure because I've never done it before, but that's what I did have to do on other platforms.
      05-26-2021, 02:53 PM   #8
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Don't the injectors have flow variances between them that you need to register with ISTA?

I'm not quite sure because I've never done it before, but that's what I did have to do on other platforms.
Our DME has the CVO function which adapts to the individual flow variances and continues to adapt over the lifetime of the injectors.

Starts on page 84 of the technical manual (This is for the S55 but it's the same for newer N55s with EU6 designation):
http://s3.bimmerfile.com.s3.amazonaw...S55-Engine.pdf

Appreciate 1
F87source7294.00
      05-26-2021, 03:21 PM   #9
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Our DME has the CVO function which adapts to the individual flow variances and continues to adapt over the lifetime of the injectors.

Starts on page 84 of the technical manual (This is for the S55 but it's the same for newer N55s with EU6 designation):
http://s3.bimmerfile.com.s3.amazonaw...S55-Engine.pdf
Ah I see. Good to know.
      06-10-2021, 07:40 AM   #10
js0228
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Our N55 M2s run the EU6 injectors. You'll want to run the EU6 injectors (No coding required). If you run the EU5s you'll need to code for it and run a custom tune.
Thank you for the information. Found out my car has EU6's
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 07:44 AM   #11
js0228
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdriggett View Post
The BMW dealer told me in their system it shows them both EU5s and EU6s for some reason. They said it could of left the factory with EU5s or the EU6s built in and that's why they asked. He did tell me that I can't mix and match so he didn't want to sell random injector to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 07:45 AM   #12
js0228
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How can I reset the adaptation? Can I do that from Protool app?

I just installed them and just drove.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #13
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How can I reset the adaptation? Can I do that from Protool app?

I just installed them and just drove.
If installed at the dealer, then they should have gone through the procedures.

If not, then the car is probably doing it's thing and self adapting already.

However if you feel any issues with driveability, you can try looking through ProTool. I don't have it, but the option to reset adaptations could be under the fueling and injector coding section or the Engine section.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #14
js0228
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If installed at the dealer, then they should have gone through the procedures.

If not, then the car is probably doing it's thing and self adapting already.

However if you feel any issues with driveability, you can try looking through ProTool. I don't have it, but the option to reset adaptations could be under the fueling and injector coding section or the Engine section.
Thank you for the info, I actually installed it myself, and my car doesn't seem anything is wrong with it. the only problem I have is this "ticking" noise from the engine. It only makes the sound in the morning (cold start) and when I'm pressing on the accelerator pedal. When the engine is warmed up, the "ticking" noise go away, and when I'm in neutral, it doesn't make the noise. Makes the "ticking" noise only when I'm pressing the accelerator pedal. When I turned off my 2nd cylinder injector (using protool app), the "ticking" noise went away (turned off all, one by one), so I thought it was the injector issue and that's why I went to the dealer to buy one, but even after the new one installed, it's still making this "ticking" noise. I tried to post a video clip that I took with my phone but I don't know how to post it here and I think the video file size is too large.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #15
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the info, I actually installed it myself, and my car doesn't seem anything is wrong with it. the only problem I have is this "ticking" noise from the engine. It only makes the sound in the morning (cold start) and when I'm pressing on the accelerator pedal. When the engine is warmed up, the "ticking" noise go away, and when I'm in neutral, it doesn't make the noise. Makes the "ticking" noise only when I'm pressing the accelerator pedal. When I turned off my 2nd cylinder injector (using protool app), the "ticking" noise went away (turned off all, one by one), so I thought it was the injector issue and that's why I went to the dealer to buy one, but even after the new one installed, it's still making this "ticking" noise. I tried to post a video clip that I took with my phone but I don't know how to post it here and I think the video file size is too large.
A lot of things can create the ticking noise that you're speaking of. Our injectors are pretty loud as is and what you're hearing could just be normal.

That said, you could try uploading onto youtube or streamable and providing the link here so we can view.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 12:41 PM   #16
js0228
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A lot of things can create the ticking noise that you're speaking of. Our injectors are pretty loud as is and what you're hearing could just be normal.

That said, you could try uploading onto youtube or streamable and providing the link here so we can view.
Thank you so much trying to help me with my problem. Check out the video I just put up. I don't think it's the injector(s) that's making this noise. If it is, I guess I can install another one since I have spare injectors for my car.

https://youtu.be/jDkR9IH8Les
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #17
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much trying to help me with my problem. Check out the video I just put up. I don't think it's the injector(s) that's making this noise. If it is, I guess I can install another one since I have spare injectors for my car.

https://youtu.be/jDkR9IH8Les
That's not normal.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 12:53 PM   #18
js0228
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's not normal.
Yea, it just started making this noise out of nowhere. If I'm in neutral the noise isn't there, and it only makes the noise when I'm pressing on the gas pedal. The weird part is, there is no CEL, no hesitation, and the car drives perfectly fine other than the noise.
Appreciate 0