BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum In car charging

05-08-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

In car charging

Can someone tell me whether this is a standard option on the X7 which is located in the centre console cup holder area.
I’m not sure I have it but I’m not sure what to look for?
Be great to charge up my iPhone but the main question is if I don’t have it how do I charge up the digital screen key
      05-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #2
CGJ999
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M-C. And X3 X-Drive 30e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
Can someone tell me whether this is a standard option on the X7 which is located in the centre console cup holder area.
I’m not sure I have it but I’m not sure what to look for?
Be great to charge up my iPhone but the main question is if I don’t have it how do I charge up the digital screen key
Hi. You should have wireless charging in your vehicle? Slide open the centre console. From memory there are the hot/cold cupholders. And a 12v socket. And then further forward there is a "tray". In your car this should be east to west orientation. Just lay your phone on that back of the phone downwards. If you don't see your phone charging on your infotainment screen. Just move the phone towards the engine a hair and you will see a blue light illuminate on the tray. You should then see your phone battery symbol charging in the main infotainment screen. Once connected I believe this uses the cars installed antenna to improve reception etc.
I have an iphone 11. With an Otterbox (Defender - i think) case (quite thick and protective but still allow wireless charging).

I think I read the other cars in the range without hot/cold cupholders. The tray is orientated North to South. But to the right handside of your UK vehicle. It was like that on a 30D I test drove.

I would take a photo but I'm away from the car for a few days.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #3
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I don’t have the heated/cool cup holders but Yes I have my slot north south closest to the steering wheel and on the left side is where the key card is located on a slightly raised panel.
However I believe there should be an illuminated blue light that confirms the phone is charging however not in mine
Also nothing showing up on the idrive?
I would of thought this was standard?
      05-08-2021, 12:47 PM   #4
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Not being familiar with every international model, I do believe that every X7 does have the wireless charging tray, which is under the center console sliding tray as CGJ999 notes. Either horizontal or vertical.

I hadn't thought about the digital key card--I don't know if it can be "recharged", whether it has the capabilty to take inductive charging. But if so, that'd definitely be where you'd do it. If nothing else, that tray is where you put either your phone with the digital key, or the digital key card, to use them as the actual car key.
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 01:10 PM   #5
CGJ999
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M-C. And X3 X-Drive 30e

Garage List
I removed the key card (credit card size?) as you don't need it in the car (from what I've found). If you have wireless charging there is a symbol on the tray. And a tiny rectangular LED.

I also thought it was standard. But maybe they have removed it now that the Display Key is not provided?

The 2020 X7 30D I test drove definitely had the wireless charging in the Nth/Sth config. No cupholders.

The temperate package (heated cup holders) was included with the Ultimate package when I spec'd the car.

Finally - Have you tried placing your phone on the tray and then closing the sliding cover? I saw a video a while back stating that this was how to engage the antenna etc. Though not convinced. Mine works fine with the cover open. And the blue light illuminates. And the infotainment screen shows the battery charging symbol and antenna reception.

I know you can retrofit the wireless QI chargers, but hardly the point. Should be standard on such a high end car.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 03:15 PM   #6
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGJ999 View Post
I removed the key card (credit card size?) as you don't need it in the car (from what I've found).
Correct--no need to always keep the key card inside the car. I keep mine in my wallet, in case I'm ever locked out of the car. With 2 keys, the key card, digital key on my phone, and the app, there's all sorts of backups to unlocking and/or operating the car.

Quote:
Finally - Have you tried placing your phone on the tray and then closing the sliding cover? I saw a video a while back stating that this was how to engage the antenna etc. Though not convinced. Mine works fine with the cover open. And the blue light illuminates. And the infotainment screen shows the battery charging symbol and antenna reception.
Yeah, no difference in phone operation, whether the cover is open or closed. May want to leave it open since phones tend to get quite hot during charging.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 03:44 PM   #7
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry guys I’ve realised that the wireless charging pad is the side where the key card was stored ��
So now I can charge my digital key.
Thanks for your help��
      05-09-2021, 09:59 AM   #8
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Just keep an eye on your phone, it gets HOT! when using the pad.
      05-09-2021, 10:02 AM   #9
JaTe
BMW Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
Just keep an eye on your phone, it gets HOT! when using the pad.
Yeah. Hot isn't good for battery longevity.

All built in wireless charging in cars I've seen don't work that well. I just plug in and call it a day lol

Retired BMWs: 1999 BMW 328i, 2005 BMW M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 11:44 AM   #10
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I’m going to use it mostly for my display key but I assume works fine with the IPhone 12 Pro?
      05-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #11
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m going to use it mostly for my display key but I assume works fine with the IPhone 12 Pro?
Yes, my iPhone 12 Pro Max with Otterbox Defender case fits perfectly in my charging tray. My tray is horizontal with heated/cooled cupholders.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 02:19 PM   #12
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Yes, my iPhone 12 Pro Max with Otterbox Defender case fits perfectly in my charging tray. My tray is horizontal with heated/cooled cupholders.
Thanks Wild Blue👍
I’ve just ordered the 12 pro max but my charging pad is vertical and should fit snuggly.
Can you tell me would the phone charge when the phone is in its leather case or do I need to have the phone free of any obstructions?
      05-09-2021, 02:28 PM   #13
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Wild Blue👍
I’ve just ordered the 12 pro max but my charging pad is vertical and should fit snuggly.
Can you tell me would the phone charge when the phone is in its leather case or do I need to have the phone free of any obstructions?
Leather should be fine. I don't have the problems that some others have had with their phones. Mine charges fine, even with the case on. It gets decently warm over time, but doesn't shut down or anything.
Appreciate 0