F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Jag XE P250 facelift anyone?
proTUNING Freaks

05-08-2021, 08:05 AM   #1
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Jag XE P250 facelift anyone?

Thinking about a new car and alternatives to the usual German options, all of which leave me a bit cold tbh. Anyone got any experience of the Jag XE P250 facelift? I like how it looks, its compactness and what people say about its handling and steering. The engine and 8-speed transmission combo sound a bit indifferent but an okay rather than outstanding 250hp 4-pot petrol will be fine for my needs. It seems good value since prices were significantly reduced post-facelift - even in the higher spec'd versions, you can get a lot of car for around £33k. So, what do folks reckon? Dead in the water or worth considering?
Attached Images

05-08-2021, 08:12 AM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Go for it. I posted the same in the middle of a thread a month or so back. Lots of car for the money now. Infotainment has moved on loads and in mine rock solid so far.

Dealer experience also really positive for my RRS and now the F Type too.

Great choice I would say. The front pretty much looks same as the F Type too.

Massively sub £40k
Great looking
Different
Sporty and Luxury options
Attached Images

05-08-2021, 08:20 AM   #3
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Go for it. I posted the same in the middle of a thread a month or so back. Lots of car for the money now. Infotainment has moved on loads and in mine rock solid so far.

Dealer experience also really positive for my RRS and now the F Type too.

Great choice I would say. The front pretty much looks same as the F Type too.

Massively sub £40k
Great looking
Different
Sporty and Luxury options
Cheers Chris. Im looking for the catch but cant find many - apart from the cramped rear, which wouldnt be an issue as I hardly ever take rear passengers and potential unreliabality wth electrics/tech, of course, but the latest cars have all the gubbins from the E/F Pace I think
Attached Images

05-08-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Definitely worth a test at least. Very, very handsome, especially in the right colour. Reviews always stressed how well it steers, and I have to say even our big F-Pace has nicer steering feel than my 540i Touring. If you don't care about the rear seat and boot space, I'd say worth a look for sure.

Appreciate 1
      05-08-2021, 08:31 AM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Another thumbs up here, looks good, right size, drives well.... and latest infotainment seems much better...

Dont they do a 300 though? in true forum style we need to push the more expensive version...
Appreciate 3
mcoops1757.00
RustyBitz1573.50
      05-08-2021, 08:35 AM   #6
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Another thumbs up here, looks good, right size, drives well.... and latest infotainment seems much better...

Dont they do a 300 though? in true forum style we need to push the more expensive version...
They do indeed, Ian, but it only comes with AWD, and is obviously pricier. Reviews suggest the less potent RWD version handles a little sweeter too.
JustChris17544.00
      05-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #7
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
They do indeed, Ian, but it only comes with AWD, and is obviously pricier. Reviews suggest the less potent RWD version handles a little sweeter too.
Not listening, its more expensive it must be better....

Joking aside though, I think you are right - the RWD 250 looks the sweet spot. Shame they dont do an estate for us dog owners, and dont mention the E Pace, it looks like a Maestro gone wrong! and it was stupidly expensive....not sure if they have rectified that recently?
Appreciate 5
robbiep1982.50
mcoops1757.00
Ennoch2258.50
      05-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #8
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Surely in the spirit of the forum, it should be at least an XF or even an F-Type? :
Appreciate 2
JustChris17544.00
      05-08-2021, 08:53 AM   #9
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Not listening, its more expensive it must be better....

Joking aside though, I think you are right - the RWD 250 looks the sweet spot. Shame they dont do an estate for us dog owners, and dont mention the E Pace, it looks like a Maestro gone wrong! and it was stupidly expensive....not sure if they have rectified that recently?
I didn't know they were RWD. If quality has improved (which certainly appears to be the case), then with the far more sensible pricing then the XE or XF would certainly be on the shortlist in 2-3 years time
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #10
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Forum spirit...
Or another alternative in a nice colour like JustChris’

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11125019
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2021, 09:00 AM   #11
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Ahem!

This is a 19 month old XE facelift. No defects of any sort during my time with it. The infotainment is excellent (brand new versions are even faster) The digital dash is far more configurable than BMW units, (the centre screen as well) the Windsor leather seats (an extra now on the XE) are comparable with Merino. The rear space looks less than in my Gran Coupe but the base of the seats are slightly longer so six of one. Unlike the GC, the back door opening is better and the windows actually go down to the bottom, not half way. The boot is slightly smaller but at least folding rear seats are now standard. Fair comment about the engine and transmission. The steering really is better, as noted.

I love mine, not for out and out performance, but it cures all the dislikes I had in the GC so my boxes are well and truly ticked.

Oddly, people (those few who are impressed) have been more impressed with the XE than my Gran Coupe.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
JustChris17544.00
mcoops1757.00
Scoobyd1960.00
robbiep1982.50
      05-08-2021, 09:10 AM   #12
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
Ahem!

This is a 19 month old XE facelift. No defects of any sort during my time with it. The infotainment is excellent (brand new versions are even faster) The digital dash is far more configurable than BMW units, (the centre screen as well) the Windsor leather seats (an extra now on the XE) are comparable with Merino. The rear space looks less than in my Gran Coupe but the base of the seats are slightly longer so six of one. Unlike the GC, the back door opening is better and the windows actually go down to the bottom, not half way. The boot is slightly smaller but at least folding rear seats are now standard. Fair comment about the engine and transmission. The steering really is better, as noted.

I love mine, not for out and out performance, but it cures all the dislikes I had in the GC so my boxes are well and truly ticked.

Oddly, people (those few who are impressed) have been more impressed with the XE than my Gran Coupe.
Cheers, Alan - which engine do you have?
      05-08-2021, 09:11 AM   #13
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Oh yes thanks. Another thing in JLRs that is a no no for me is the slightly girly gear selector wheel... but they changed that in the update too. Pistol shifter is mega as per Alan's interior and the RRS FType etc and dare I say it better than some German versions 🤔

View out and in the gym today heavy squat day it is.
Attached Images

MattRST109.50
      05-08-2021, 09:33 AM   #14
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

Thumbs up from me as well. Pretty sure I’d take one over a 330i if I’m honest and at the new price level it’s refreshing to see the more transparent pricing.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17544.00
      05-08-2021, 11:28 AM   #15
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
It's a 250ps, the one you were referencing (247bhp). It's 7bhp down on a '30i, about 6.3 or 6.5s to 60 compared with 5.9s and it will typically give you about 6mpg less than the equivalent BMW engine.

The P300 is only available on the R-Dynamic and apart from the AWD, it's a body kit, just like the M-Sport so you either like it or you don't. But the R-Dynamic colour scheme isn't as good (if this is your bag). In the R-Dynamic, an oyster interior has a completely black dashboard, the same colour in the standard XE gives you an oyster lower dash colour, which I think looks way better. (ETTO)

There is no performance improvement and the R-Dynamic price makes it harder to keep under £40k with a high spec. level.

If you go for the 20" Propeller wheels, be sure to get the adaptive suspension because they don't help the ride.

Also, the XE turn-in is sharper and it feels just that bit more responsive around the twisties.

JustChris: The gear selector for the facelift was taken direct from the F-Type and it's identical to the one in my son's F-Type which is now the version before yours.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17544.00
      05-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #16
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

I've got a mate who had the pre-facelift supercharged model. It looked good and was fantastic to drive but..

He had problem after problem after problem with it. It literally spent months at a time at the dealership waiting for parts and fixes.

He got rid of it after about 13 months. He loved it when he had it with no faults but that was just too rare.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2021, 11:50 AM   #17
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
I've got a mate who had the pre-facelift supercharged model. It looked good and was fantastic to drive but..

He had problem after problem after problem with it. It literally spent months at a time at the dealership waiting for parts and fixes.

He got rid of it after about 13 months. He loved it when he had it with no faults but that was just too rare.
Reliability would be a concern, of course, TP. I don't know to what degree the facelift has resolved things. However, the electrics/tech are shared with the E/F Pace and the two litre lump is common across numerous models. I imagine that the supercharged monster your friend had was a bit of a rarity.
      05-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #18
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
looks nice. my friend bought a infinity q50 in 2018 and shortly after infinity announced its leaving the UK so he sold it worried about that at a good loss then he bought an xf sadly he wasn't lucky with that was in the garage 3/12 months he owned it but credit to the dealership they bought it back so he had free motoring for 9/12months.
He then bought a audi a6 crashed it in week 2 and major accident repairs. I think its just him. In an unrelated point saw the xf touring on the road in white looked lovely.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2021, 01:21 PM   #19
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

While waiting for any form of deals on m340s I looked at these as the pricing is very competitive.

They look nice and are well equipped and good value. The problem I had was I kept then thinking of 330is and there are still good lease deals for those at the moment.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2021, 01:43 PM   #20
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
While waiting for any form of deals on m340s I looked at these as the pricing is very competitive.

They look nice and are well equipped and good value. The problem I had was I kept then thinking of 330is and there are still good lease deals for those at the moment.
I don't doubt that the 3 series is an all-round better car - for which you pay a significant premium over the XE, of course, particularly if you're buying rather than leasing. I just fancy a change from BMW, and I don't like the G20 that much anyway. What I don't want however is a car which spends much of its life off the road at the dealership :
      05-08-2021, 02:14 PM   #21
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
There has been much talk over the last couple of years in the XE forums about Jaguar "unreliability". The Ingenium petrol engine has been out for 3 or 4 years now and problems have been sorted for quite a while. Electric gremlins are very much reduced across the range and when I bought mine, it was without qualm in regards to reliability.

The consensus is that the facelift XE is way better than the pre-facelift with regard to reliability. One of the issues I picked up on when I joined the XE forum was that the stop/start was always playing up - or rather, not working, - but this is now a thing of the past as it only appeared to be an issue with pre-facelift cars. Mine has always worked.

I seriously wouldn't worry about reliability, especially when you read the posts in here concerning 2nd recalls with EGR faults and what have you. Typically, you only hear about faulty cars, not the vast majority that give no problem.

Also, I don't think the 3 series is an "all round" better car. If you listed the pros and cons between the two you would not produce a list that was overwhelming in the three's favour, I suspect.

e.g. all aluminium body, much more sophisticated suspension system (it can even take a kerbing at 45mph without damaging the suspension), miles cheaper, better leather trim, more toys without blowing the budget (love the clear view mirror), 16 way electric seats with memory (in mine at least - it's now specced as an extra), better steering, less crashy ride, more settled in poor road conditions (doesn't skip), it's better looking (opinion, I know), no hideous grilles going over the top of the bonnet line, genuine 50-50 weight distribution, not BMW's "nearly 50-50". I could go on, but I could also make a list in BMW's favour, TBH.

Last edited by AlanQS; 05-08-2021 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #22
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
There has been much talk over the last couple of years in the XE forums about Jaguar "unreliability". The Ingenium petrol engine has been out for 3 or 4 years now and problems have been sorted for quite a while. Electric gremlins are very much reduced across the range and when I bought mine, it was without qualm in regards to reliability.

The consensus is that the facelift XE is way better than the pre-facelift with regard to reliability. One of the issues I picked up on when I joined the XE forum was that the stop/start was always playing up - or rather, not working, - but this is now a thing of the past as it only appeared to be an issue with pre-facelift cars. Mine has always worked.

I seriously wouldn't worry about reliability, especially when you read the posts in here concerning 2nd recalls with EGR faults and what have you. Typically, you only hear about faulty cars, not the vast majority that give no problem.
+1 for this.

One cautionary note I would advise for JLR would be not to dip in with a new model or infotainment in year 1.

The RRS I had was the MY18 LCI and it looked better and had the dual screen update but the screen and capacitive buttons on the steering had very minor issues with small functions not working about 1/30 times or so.

Experience this time around is 100% spot on and I've tried and used everything the car will do over and over. F Type proven, infotainment proven, same fo the XE now imHo.

PS does the XE have remote start from the APP too? Worth it for this alone vs a 3er

PPS Intended with humour, if you did have issues XE is almost the intro model so the loaners would be o ly onwards and upwards, Disco, RRS, XF and XE maybe