BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > should I cancel my M Drivers package before my car is produced?

04-26-2021, 03:46 PM   #1
Spaceman_Spliff
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

should I cancel my M Drivers package before my car is produced?

Hi, new to the forum although I've lurked a bit, and this is my first post. I read a thread from 2018 about the M Drivers package, and I still have some questions. My M2 is set enter production next week, and I'm wondering if I should have my "m drivers package" removed from the build. I have read that a lot of people feel it is not worth the cost, particularly given that you have to travel for the event (when I first checked the box I foolishly thought BMW would put on an event at a racetrack near me). Anyway, I'm thinking I should maybe remove it and save myself a couple grand, thoughts? thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 03:50 PM   #2
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

I would
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 03:57 PM   #3
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
I never got why anyone would pay for that m driver's package at that price. I'd much rather break it in and take it to the track. you could pay for like 8 track sessions for that price. Yikes!
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #4
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Yes. Just join the BMWCCA for $58 and book a One Day M School for $1318 (15% off) and save yourself $1124.
Archived: 2019 BMW X5 50i M Sport Mineral White/Full Black,2019 Ford GT350 Ford Performance Blue/Dark Slate, 2012 BMW X5 50i Alpine White/Black, 2014 BMW 320i M Sport Melbourne Red/Black, 2009 BMW DINAN3 Alpine White/Black, 2008 BMW 335xi Alpine White/Black, 1998 BMW 328is Avus Blue/Tan
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2021, 04:28 PM   #5
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Yes cancel it. There are a lot cheaper ways to get track time in your car. And if you're not worried about driving your car, there are far far far cheaper ways to get track time in general.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2021, 05:27 PM   #6
jdubm2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

And you can code out the top speed limiter. Should you ever end up somewhere where you can do 174.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #7
Spaceman_Spliff
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replies! I am canceling, track days at the local road course are significantly less expensive, I'll just do that for my kicks
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2021, 10:34 AM   #8
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman_Spliff View Post
Thanks for the replies! I am canceling, track days at the local road course are significantly less expensive, I'll just do that for my kicks
Need to take into consideration track insurance, gasoline, and all of the other maintenance items. But since your car is new, track insurance since most insurances don't cover track anymore, if not all...oh and get a helmet.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2021, 10:46 AM   #9
M2C-NLUSA
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp.

M pack is the biggest scam on the planet.
      04-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #10
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
Quote:
Need to take into consideration track insurance, gasoline, and all of the other maintenance items. But since your car is new, track insurance since most insurances don't cover track anymore, if not all...oh and get a helmet.
Track insurance for me is only 300 a weekend for $50K in coverage. Obvious will be a bit more for an m2cs given the value.

Well worth it
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #11
Spaceman_Spliff
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Track insurance for me is only 300 a weekend for $50K in coverage. Obvious will be a bit more for an m2cs given the value.

Well worth it
I'll look into it, I've switched providers since the last time I had a track day, and that car was less than half the value of the M2C
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 08:50 PM   #12
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Well worth it
I'll look into it, I've switched providers since the last time I had a track day, and that car was less than half the value of the M2C
I use "on track" insurance.

https://ontrackinsurance.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 09:30 PM   #13
Skulinex
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '4 M3/'5 M3CS/‘18 M3CS /‘21M2C

Garage List
2015 Toyota 4Runner  [0.00]
2021 M2 Competition  [0.00]
2018 M3 CS  [0.00]
2004 M3  [10.00]
2005 M3 Competition  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
Yes. Just join the BMWCCA for $58 and book a One Day M School for $1318 (15% off) and save yourself $1124.
Basically this. If you really wanna take the course, do as Mr. Maboomba suggested. Don’t get me wrong, you can have a blast driving their cars to their limits and maybe even discover how much abuse they can actually take without using your own car -and tbh, I’d recommend the 2 day one-. But is is not worth the price as an add on to your cars price ( and IF you are financing, why pay interest for this class etc). Keep in mind this covers full insurance on the cars used during the class which you are going to drive the @:&;% out of.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2021, 04:44 PM   #14
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I just got back from doing this - booked the 1-day M school back to back with the freebie short option they give you for a new purchase, since I bought one off the lot and didn't get either PCD or the Driver Pckg. It is really NOT track instruction of any real substance, but you do get to thrash on a variety of M cars that somebody else maintains. I think you would get as much real track knowledge from a good Street Survival course, if it had a skidpad. But it was a really great time, like visiting an M-car version of Disneyland. If I had it to do over, I'd perhaps have done the 2-day (they extend into more extensive lapping), but might also have felt that was diminishing returns. And I'd also put in a plug for the PC Delivery - with that you get a real concierge overnighter, extensive info on how everything works, and a little track time in their copy of the car you just bought (not for those who want to whisk it off for Expel/detailing immediately, but otherwise a great freebie).
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2021, 09:31 PM   #15
Spaceman_Spliff
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I just got back from doing this - booked the 1-day M school back to back with the freebie short option they give you for a new purchase, since I bought one off the lot and didn't get either PCD or the Driver Pckg. It is really NOT track instruction of any real substance, but you do get to thrash on a variety of M cars that somebody else maintains. I think you would get as much real track knowledge from a good Street Survival course, if it had a skidpad. But it was a really great time, like visiting an M-car version of Disneyland. If I had it to do over, I'd perhaps have done the 2-day (they extend into more extensive lapping), but might also have felt that was diminishing returns. And I'd also put in a plug for the PC Delivery - with that you get a real concierge overnighter, extensive info on how everything works, and a little track time in their copy of the car you just bought (not for those who want to whisk it off for Expel/detailing immediately, but otherwise a great freebie).
I'm considering PC delivery, the only thing holding me back is having to drive all the way back to Denver afterwards
Appreciate 1
Maynard3855.50
      05-01-2021, 08:35 AM   #16
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
I'm considering PC delivery, the only thing holding me back is having to drive all the way back to Denver afterwards
If the drive is a chore, then your local place can probably give you a good intro/delivery (but no time tracking another M car at the BMW Mecca). But surely there are a few cool roads between Spartanburg and Denver? I had finished break in, which made it more interesting, but there are some GREAT roads near the plant (Tail of Dragon and a lot of similar mountain roads); I put about 2k miles on overall, made it into a driving week and could have spent double that down there. I was headed North to NY, but I suspect you'd find a lot to love en route to Denver too. I think they also do this on the west coast site, if that is closer or a better drive.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #17
Spaceman_Spliff
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Quote:
If the drive is a chore, then your local place can probably give you a good intro/delivery (but no time tracking another M car at the BMW Mecca). But surely there are a few cool roads between Spartanburg and Denver? I had finished break in, which made it more interesting, but there are some GREAT roads near the plant (Tail of Dragon and a lot of similar mountain roads); I put about 2k miles on overall, made it into a driving week and could have spent double that down there. I was headed North to NY, but I suspect you'd find a lot to love en route to Denver too. I think they also do this on the west coast site, if that is closer or a better drive.
Good point on the great roads in the area, I will strongly consider PCD. Having said that it looks like my car will be unloaded at a west coast port so I'd be looking at the Thermal facility. It'll probably come down to how much time I can take off the week the car arrives, but I'll keep my options open
Appreciate 0