E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > what about diesel in Denver?

10-29-2008, 05:38 AM   #1
luisalbertoga
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 330d

what about diesel in Denver?

There is one option that I have not think of until now...

I was taking a look at craigslist to check the price of second hand cars, and to take a look at the cars around the area...

What if I could bring my car to Denver??

The biggest problem is that it is a 330d... it's diesel...

Would I have troubles to find diesel at the gas stations around Denver? What about the rest of the US??? When I was in Chicago, not all gas stations had diesel... but I wasn't really paying much attention to that...

I have read some news about diesel coming back to the US in the general forum... but is it for real?

Do the gas stations have diesel available? It's pointless to be able to load diesel in downtown Denver, if the gas station, 400 miles outside Denver doesn't have diesel... (how am I supposed to get back from there without gas???).

What do you think??? I guess that the transport, and certification would be around $4,000-$5,000... Since I don't know yet how good or bad am I going to be able to sell my car here... I think I should consider this option...

Here we also have a big crisis... and it's not the best time to sell "luxury/premium" cars...

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
There are lots of trucks in the Denver area that run on diesel, so for an American city a good percentage of our gas stations carry diesel. They are all also required now to carry the ultra-low sulfur diesels that are required in most BMWs. The reports I have read said that BMW is still on track to begin selling the 335d here in the states next month. Colorado is not one of the states that use California emissions and therefore we have been able to buy vehicles like the TDi VWs where in California, they can't sell them there.

However what is different here from Europe is that Diesel typically costs more per gallon than even premium gas since it is taxed heavier. So sometimes the cost of diesel does not offset the benefit you get from the higher mileage you can achieve.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
07 coupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisalbertoga View Post
...Do the gas stations have diesel available? It's pointless to be able to load diesel in downtown Denver, if the gas station, 400 miles outside Denver doesn't have diesel... (how am I supposed to get back from there without gas???)....
Most gas stations on the interstate highways will have diesel for all the semitrucks.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Appropriate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 335xi

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [0.00]
Diesel is available all over the place here. A lot of people have diesel trucks in the U.S., especially in the Western U.S. If your out in the countryside, you will also be able to find diesel easily because semi-trucks (the big 10+ meter long trucks) use diesel. I imagine in Eastern U.S. cities diesel would be slightly more harder to find than in Denver, but probably not much (if at all). You will be fine is the bototm line.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
Tschuss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Diesel is everywhere in the states. I drove a diesel VW for years. In town, you learn where the good diesel is. On the highway it is everywhere. The 335d is coming any day now, a well equipped one will go for about $50k. I'd be hesitant to invest in the 330d. It being a euro model, the BMW dealers won't have 330d specific parts or training.

-B
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2008, 03:33 AM   #6
luisalbertoga
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 330d

uhm....

Those are really great news!!!!!

I have also read about bmw introducing the new 335d in the US in a few months... it sounds interesting... and the 330d and the 335d will probably use many of the same parts...

but Tschuss is right... maintenance can be a problem... I haven't thought of that yet!!!

they are used to gasoline models... and it will take them some time to acquire the training for the diesel motors... even if they are introducing the 335d I don't fancy the idea of being part of the training of the bmw technicians for the new diesel engines!!

I will have to think about it a little bit more... but at least thank to you all, I know that the gas won't be a problem...

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0