E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > aftermarket radio in E90

04-23-2006, 02:01 AM   #1
guinny-t
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

aftermarket radio in E90

i had an 03 325xi without the hk radio, and took out the factory hu and installed an alpine iva-d900 with alpine navi nve-n852a, and alpine 6 disc changer. it integrated with the factory amps easily and sounded amazing-better than the hk system. so this march i picked up my 330xi, which i ordered back in january without the factory navi. i heard all of the nightmares about idrive and figured i already owned a great navi and system. i thought i would just put it in. i didn't know about this site until a few days ago, and i wish i did.

i now know that it's close to impossible to install an aftermarket system with the logic 7. you have to bypass the whole system and use all aftermarket amps. not to mention the mess of losing a bunch of onboard computer functions, warning lights from the bmw assist/sos coming on, and loss of pdc. and the aftermarket system gets zero reception when connected to the factory antenna-so a separate power antenna has to be added.

i have since abandoned trying to upgrade to an aftermarket system just for navi, so i bought a dash mount unit from garmin. my question is this though. i going to take the alpine unit out and put back the factory hu. none of the wires to the factory unit were cut, only the factory speaker wires that come out of the factory amp. these can be soddered back together. the fiber optic cables were never touched and are still 100% intact with connectors and all.

will i have problems when i switch back to the factory radio? will the warning lights turn off, or do i have to go back to the dealer? will all of my factory hu functions be restored-on board computer control, pdc sounds and other sounds for alerts? or will i have to go back to the dealer and have the whole thing reprogrammed?

if someone knows the anwsers, please let me know because i can't sleep at night from the stress. i don't want bmw to know what was done for fear of voiding the warantee on the electrical system, especially since the car is a lease.
Appreciate 0