BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

EXXEL Distributions

10-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Sedan

Let's Complete the Toolkit

My 08 US-spec E90 M3 was missing a few tools from the very spartan stock toolkit. I ordered an open-end wrench and an emergency sunroof crank from BMW. There are already spots for them in the factory tool storage location. Also note storage location of factory wheel lock key.

I carry additional tools in my car (that will be another post), but I wanted to complete the factory toolkit also.

16 X5d | 08 M3 Sedan | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe | 99 M coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep

Part Numbers:
Wrench = 71 11 1 182 747
Crank = 54 10 7 199 321
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Thank you for all the DIY.

I was wondering which tools I should have. I first freaked out and thought someone stole the tools!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
rmmcdaniel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3

Is the factory wheel lock key supposed to be included with the car? I have read through all the threads on missing tools upon car delivery and it isn't clear from what I have seen.

I would also appreciate the BMW part number for this if anyone has it. I'm trying to put together a list of parts that should have been included in my car at delivery but were missing or that I want to purchase to complete the setup.
      11-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Wheel locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmcdaniel View Post
Is the factory wheel lock key supposed to be included with the car? I have read through all the threads on missing tools upon car delivery and it isn't clear from what I have seen.

I would also appreciate the BMW part number for this if anyone has it. I'm trying to put together a list of parts that should have been included in my car at delivery but were missing or that I want to purchase to complete the setup.
Mine came with wheel locks, but not sure if they were added by the dealer, or were perhaps on early cars only.

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...&productId=578

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
rmmcdaniel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Mine came with wheel locks, but not sure if they were added by the dealer, or were perhaps on early cars only.

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...&productId=578
Thanks Greg, you always seem to have the answers!!
      11-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

It is generally the case that the dealers add wheel locks. They may be BMW parts but I do not think any come from the factory with it. If you have locking lug nuts you better have the key. If not, go back to where you got the car and get the key. Without it you will not (easily) get the wheels off.

If you have wheel locks and the key is not in the tool kit then look in the glove compartment or the case that the owners manual came in. Somebody may have been too lazy to place the key in the toolkit.
      11-19-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
JonM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
It is generally the case that the dealers add wheel locks. They may be BMW parts but I do not think any come from the factory with it. If you have locking lug nuts you better have the key. If not, go back to where you got the car and get the key. Without it you will not (easily) get the wheels off.

If you have wheel locks and the key is not in the tool kit then look in the glove compartment or the case that the owners manual came in. Somebody may have been too lazy to place the key in the toolkit.
Also, you can buy spare wheel lock keys. I bought 2 so I can keep spares in my toolbox and and avoid going into the trunk every time I need to take a wheel off. However, you need the wheel lock code that comes with the OE BMW ones. It's on a small slip of paper in the parts box, which you may or may not get from your dealer. It is also cast into the wheel lock key if you look close at the key.
Appreciate 0