XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
wangxy83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: C350 4matics

Question How rebiliable will the X5 3.0d be? Can I buy it? Help please!

Hello guys,
I have been thinking about to get the new 09 X5 3.0d. I am planning to keep the SUV for at least 8 years! Since it is a twin turbo egine, I am wondering if it is reliable. Will the turbo have some problems in the future (People keep telling me that the twin turbo egine on 335xi will have issues)? Can I purchase it and keep it for 8 years and expect to not have any major repairs during that time even after the warranty expires? Also how well does a X5 holds its value? Thank you very much in advance! Please help!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

I wish I could predict the future to help you. Like any other vehicle, the X5 is losing a lot of its value in the first two years. After that, it will slowly stabilize in value. The X5 4.8i will suffer more than the 3.0i because of the gasoline crisis.

Good luck.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
wangxy83
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
I wish I could predict the future to help you. Like any other vehicle, the X5 is losing a lot of its value in the first two years. After that, it will slowly stabilize in value. The X5 4.8i will suffer more than the 3.0i because of the gasoline crisis.

Good luck.
But I thought the diesel version of it has already been out for a while in euro, maybe someone knows more detail about this diesel SUV!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Diesel engines last forever, the BMW diesel will be no different.
      10-26-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
Diesel engines last forever, the BMW diesel will be no different.
bravo,i agree! go for it!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Consumer Reports rates the X5 as having less than average reliability. There is alot to go wrong with a vehicle as complex as the X5 beond the engine (and turbo chargers). Electronics, computers, air conditioning systems and controls.

Personally, I think vehicles with poor repair histories (BMW has some good ones, such as the E90 and E60, both of which earn a "recommended" from Consumers) are for people who have alot of cash to blow. Leasing for 3 years and turning the vehicle in for a new one keeps you in a high payment for as long as you keep leasing.

Keeping a purchased one for a long term invites costly repairs. BMW's break more than Japanese makes. This results in poorer resale values (i.e. high depreciation costs) and high cost repair bills for people who elect to drive them long term (which I think 8 years qualifies as). Of course they are more rewarding to drive than most cars out there.

If you are going the 8 year route, I would plan on buying an extended waranty from BMW if available and driving it to just before expiry. I'd also plan on an exit value of no more than 15% of purchase price. This should help you figure out whether you want to spend that sum of money on an X5 or something else in the BMW lineup, or other manufacturer's lineup suits you better.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
wangxy83
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Consumer Reports rates the X5 as having less than average reliability. There is alot to go wrong with a vehicle as complex as the X5 beond the engine (and turbo chargers). Electronics, computers, air conditioning systems and controls.

Personally, I think vehicles with poor repair histories (BMW has some good ones, such as the E90 and E60, both of which earn a "recommended" from Consumers) are for people who have alot of cash to blow. Leasing for 3 years and turning the vehicle in for a new one keeps you in a high payment for as long as you keep leasing.

Keeping a purchased one for a long term invites costly repairs. BMW's break more than Japanese makes. This results in poorer resale values (i.e. high depreciation costs) and high cost repair bills for people who elect to drive them long term (which I think 8 years qualifies as). Of course they are more rewarding to drive than most cars out there.

If you are going the 8 year route, I would plan on buying an extended waranty from BMW if available and driving it to just before expiry. I'd also plan on an exit value of no more than 15% of purchase price. This should help you figure out whether you want to spend that sum of money on an X5 or something else in the BMW lineup, or other manufacturer's lineup suits you better.
I always know that Lexus will be the best choice for me! I am right now just keep finding good things about BMW that will enable me to buy one (Dreaming one day I got up and hear BMW has fixed all the problems ). Lexus is just too ugly for me to buy and drive it! I heard Audi also has poor reliability. What's up with all the German nice brands!? I guess in the end if I still could't convince myself to buy a BMW, I will probably end up in a ugly luxury Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 08:24 PM   #8
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangxy83 View Post
I always know that Lexus will be the best choice for me! I am right now just keep finding good things about BMW that will enable me to buy one (Dreaming one day I got up and hear BMW has fixed all the problems ). Lexus is just too ugly for me to buy and drive it! I heard Audi also has poor reliability. What's up with all the German nice brands!? I guess in the end if I still could't convince myself to buy a BMW, I will probably end up in a ugly luxury Lexus.
I'm getting the BMW because even though it may not be the most prudent choice financially, it's the most fun to drive, which to me counts for allot!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Anyone used 500ppm diesel fuel on you E70 30d Bimmer?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
XBimmerman
Rep
Drives: X5

Holy grave digger. This thread is about 2.5 years old.
Appreciate 0