E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Leaving my car for an extended period of time

02-24-2021, 01:03 PM   #1
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Leaving my car for an extended period of time

So I am a travel nurse and I will be leaving for my next travel assignment in a few weeks to Boston for 3 months (possibly 6 months if I like the assignment). I will not be driving my car to the location as I don't want to expose my 2007 335i to salt. I will be leaving my car with my brother and I was wondering how often should he drive my car while I am gone. The car runs on full e85 (he is aware of this and there are plenty of locations to fill up on). I can change my tune to run on pump 93 before I leave as well, just not sure if I should do that though.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingpanda View Post
So I am a travel nurse and I will be leaving for my next travel assignment in a few weeks to Boston for 3 months (possibly 6 months if I like the assignment). I will not be driving my car to the location as I don't want to expose my 2007 335i to salt. I will be leaving my car with my brother and I was wondering how often should he drive my car while I am gone. The car runs on full e85 (he is aware of this and there are plenty of locations to fill up on). I can change my tune to run on pump 93 before I leave as well, just not sure if I should do that though.

Thanks!
I have zero personal experience but the general consensus is that ethanol is not good for long term storage since it absorbs moisture but on the other hand our fuel systems are allegedly sealed. I would suggest using up all the existing fuel, then refilling with 93 pump and changing the tune.

Also look into using a fuel stabilizer - I know Sta-Bil has a good reputation among the seasonal powersports crowd but I imagine it would be just as good in a car. Also get a battery tender, or have your brother at least start the car and drive it every two weeks or two if he can, making sure to get the engine warmed up fully.

I used to ride a motorcycle every day but stopped due to too many close calls with inattentive drivers, so as I was driving less and less the motorcycle spent more time sitting. I always added a few ounces of Marvel Mystery oil or techron to the tank (whatever I had on hand) and it seemed to work fine and help with storage. The bike would sit for six months or more then would start immediately. Recently I spent a day riding, then refilled before parking it but didn't add anything else to the fuel tank. Then only 3 months later I had a heck of a time starting it. Once I did start it, it wasn't well and sputtering at low RPMs and low throttle openings. A pilot on one of the carbs is clogged. I'm not sure if my MMO did anything but it's ironic that the only starting problems I ever had happened after I didn't add anything else to the fuel tank before parking/storing it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
I store cars for the winter (~6 months) and it depends where its being stored (inside or outside); If inside I wouldn't drive it at all. Usually when storing cars you use non-ethanol fuel as it likes to eat rubber/seals if the car wasn't designed as flex-fuel
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:52 PM   #4
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Good choice not bringing it to Boston. It's busy work up here in Boston for healthcare (not a nurse but I work at a few hospitals up here).

For long term storage, I'd get a fuel stabilizer for the ethanol. It also wouldn't hurt to overinflate the tires unless the car will he physically moved a few times here and there. Keep a battery tender on the car or remove the battery completely. And for rodents you can use steel wool, peppermint oil, dryer sheets, or a combination of all of them throughout the engine bay, interior, and in the exhaust tips.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:58 PM   #5
Explorerlyon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 986 Acura TL-SHAWD BMW

Garage List
Storage comes up a lot in Porsche discussion groups for winter storage. I don't see why a BMW would be any different than a Porsche for storage so this is what is recommended (and I follow):
1. Clean exterior and interior well
2. Over inflate tires (I think to about 45psi or so).
3. Change the oil (the theory is to get any contaminates out before storage)
4. Fuel tank FULL, add stabilizer
5. Cover it
6. Put a battery tender on it if you can
7. Don't touch it, don't start it, just leave it alone until Summer.

Rodents seem to be the larger concern.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 03:11 PM   #6
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingpanda View Post
I will not be driving my car to the location as I don't want to expose my 2007 335i to salt. I will be leaving my car with my brother and I was wondering how often should he drive my car while I am gone.
How's your brother as a driver? Some people's brothers could do a lot more damage than road salt.

Hopefully you'll love it up here in Boston. The weather will get A LOT nicer come May. You may just want to sign up for the second 3 month hitch. (plus, if you're working in the Longwood area, you're walking distance to Fenway..... )
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 05:09 PM   #7
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If you have him drive it.
Have him do a highway drive of about 20 miles once or twice a week .
Keep it on a battery tender or have him put it on a battery tender over
night once or twice a month.
Better to keep it Garaged if you can. ( To save the exterior and Interior)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 10:19 AM   #8
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

I appreciate all of the responses here, thank you! I will burn as much e85 as I can before I head out and put in 93 (change the tune back to 93 as well) and have my brother drive it twice a week (he also drives a e90 335i as well, just less modified). I'm very excited to be going to Boston but a bit nervous as well with everything that is going on. Wish me luck!
Appreciate 0