BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C carbon front grille fitting

02-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
m2comp_sb
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

M2C carbon front grille fitting

Just picked by my M2C in Sunset Orange last week and loving it so far!
It was a dealer demo with a great spec, including the carbon fibre M Performance parts.

I have noticed, however, that one side of the front grille isn't sitting flush, where the other side is. I have given it a push, to see if it just needs clicking in, but no joy.

Rather than going through the hassle of getting the dealer to sort it (which is made even harder during lockdown!) I wondered if anyone had a guide on how to fit these? Been looking around and found plenty for the original M2, but not the Comp.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #2
Chris_Uk_m2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

From: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1701278

1. Remove rubber strip covering the front fascia T30 torx screws.
2. Remove six T30 Torx.
3. Pull fascia forward (it's very pliable) and slip hand in.
4. Locate top plastic tabs along grill and push those in and forward while you pull on grille from outside with other hand. (This takes some patience and going back and forth between tabs).
5. While pulling up and out with external hand, push in tabs along bottom of grille.

It takes a bit of patience first time you do it. After one time however it becomes a lot easier.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 02:10 PM   #3
m2comp_sb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Uk_m2 View Post
From: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1701278

1. Remove rubber strip covering the front fascia T30 torx screws.
2. Remove six T30 Torx.
3. Pull fascia forward (it's very pliable) and slip hand in.
4. Locate top plastic tabs along grill and push those in and forward while you pull on grille from outside with other hand. (This takes some patience and going back and forth between tabs).
5. While pulling up and out with external hand, push in tabs along bottom of grille.

It takes a bit of patience first time you do it. After one time however it becomes a lot easier.
Fantastic! Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #4
EtotheD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

At least for myself, I couldn't get my hands inside the fascia after removing the torx screws. I guess I was too scared to bend it out. I don't know if it's easier with the OG M2. I was able to fit my hands between the grille slats. Undo all the center tabs first so the center pops out. The two tabs on each end are the hardest. I used a 90 degree pry tool to pop those out. Once you get one end loose you can pull the grille away and reach for the other end. I've done this twice now and sitting on a stool in front of the bumper was the most comfortable. You might have a broken tab which could cause it not to sit flush.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 04:45 AM   #5
m2comp_sb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtotheD View Post
At least for myself, I couldn't get my hands inside the fascia after removing the torx screws. I guess I was too scared to bend it out. I don't know if it's easier with the OG M2. I was able to fit my hands between the grille slats. Undo all the center tabs first so the center pops out. The two tabs on each end are the hardest. I used a 90 degree pry tool to pop those out. Once you get one end loose you can pull the grille away and reach for the other end. I've done this twice now and sitting on a stool in front of the bumper was the most comfortable. You might have a broken tab which could cause it not to sit flush.
It certainly is very tight behind the bumper! Managed to pull it out enough to check the clips, and they're all clipped in properly, so I'm not sure why the trim isn't sitting flush. I'll live with it as it's only slight off, and I'll let the dealer take a look next time it's in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 12:18 AM   #6
EtotheD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2comp_sb View Post
It certainly is very tight behind the bumper! Managed to pull it out enough to check the clips, and they're all clipped in properly, so I'm not sure why the trim isn't sitting flush. I'll live with it as it's only slight off, and I'll let the dealer take a look next time it's in.
Now that I see your picture mine is also similar. I've been through two grilles now. The first one had imperfections in the carbon but sat flush and the second one sits more like yours but the same on both sides. Maybe out a little more on one side. Also this one I noticed has less give to it, like it's really tight on. The one that sat flush you could push on it and it would move in and out a little. As I've bought more and more M Performance carbon bits for my car, I've learned they aren't perfect. That or I'm really unlucky.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 05:14 AM   #7
m2comp_sb
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtotheD View Post
Now that I see your picture mine is also similar. I've been through two grilles now. The first one had imperfections in the carbon but sat flush and the second one sits more like yours but the same on both sides. Maybe out a little more on one side. Also this one I noticed has less give to it, like it's really tight on. The one that sat flush you could push on it and it would move in and out a little. As I've bought more and more M Performance carbon bits for my car, I've learned they aren't perfect. That or I'm really unlucky.
Well whilst imperfections aren't great, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one!
Overall I'm loving the car so far (collected 10 days ago), not that I've had much chance to use it yet!
Appreciate 0