BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe Forum (F44) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe (F44) General Discussion

02-01-2021, 05:03 AM   #1
Pjak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 Xdrive 2.0D M Sport

OBD Port Location (UK Models)

Can anyone tell me where the OBD port is located on UK models of the F44? Is it in the same position as the F22?

Need to know if wiring can be fed internally and beneath the panelling as my tracker is connected via OBD so I’d be looking to conceal it somewhere. If anyone can post pics that would be great. I’ve a while yet before I can change my car but I like to plan ahead
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 06:54 PM   #2
lilstevie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i5

It’s in a very similar place, but it has a hinge on the cover instead of coming off. Also how does the tracker connect to the OBD port? Does it just take power or does it actually connect? Because I know with my scanner, the moment it connects to the bus the car enters diagnostic mode
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
Pjak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 Xdrive 2.0D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstevie View Post
It’s in a very similar place, but it has a hinge on the cover instead of coming off. Also how does the tracker connect to the OBD port? Does it just take power or does it actually connect? Because I know with my scanner, the moment it connects to the bus the car enters diagnostic mode
Yes it takes power only so it doesn't actually connect to the diagnostics.

Problem is it's a bit of a bulky thing and I wouldn't be able to close the hinge back over, so not only would it draw attention to itself in the F44, it would also look massively unsightly. It's ideal in my Mercedes because the OBD port is hidden under the steering column, and so it's well out of view of any car thieves.

So.... once the OBD cover is open, would it be possible to feed wires in to run them down the side panels? Again any pics that could be provided of the ODB port with the cover open would be great. Can't get anywhere near a dealership at the minute to actually look at one myself and figure it all out.

It's not a deal breaker.... but I've basically got my heart set on this as my next car so I want to figure all these little bits out now to save any disappointments or frustrations if/when I get one.
Appreciate 0