BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

10-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

09 M3 6MTs now have lifetime tranny fluid too (1200 mile service)?

Gents,

I took my 2009 e92 in for 1200 mile service today. After getting the car back, I checked the invoice and I noticed that the transmission fluid was not changed (6MT). I talked to the tech, showed him the part number for the fluid, and told him that 2.1 liters need to be changed. He said that all 09 models (both 6MT and DKG) have lifetime tranny fluid now and do not get changed. He claims that this is because dealers were getting confused between 6MT and DKG and were changing DKG tranny oil (which we've heard plenty about), so BMW just found a mutual solution. Still, I am a bit wary of this. Any other 09 owners already taken theirs in for service? I had him scan my key and show me the prescribed services and nothing was listed for transmission oil, so maybe he is telling the truth...still, I've heard so many cases of poorly informed techs, so I want to be sure.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
E. Honda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Nissan 350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Gents,

I took my 2009 e92 in for 1200 mile service today. After getting the car back, I checked the invoice and I noticed that the transmission fluid was not changed (6MT). I talked to the tech, showed him the part number for the fluid, and told him that 2.1 liters need to be changed. He said that all 09 models (both 6MT and DKG) have lifetime tranny fluid now and do not get changed. He claims that this is because dealers were getting confused between 6MT and DKG and were changing DKG tranny oil (which we've heard plenty about), so BMW just found a mutual solution. Still, I am a bit wary of this. Any other 09 owners already taken theirs in for service? I had him scan my key and show me the prescribed services and nothing was listed for transmission oil, so maybe he is telling the truth...still, I've heard so many cases of poorly informed techs, so I want to be sure.

Thanks!
Interesting...I'd just call another BMW dealership, and confirm with them.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

I'd be very surprised if BMW dropped that M exclusive service.

It would be a huge cost savings for BMWNA though!

FYI - When I took my '08 in for the 1200 mi service, I was expecting the cabin filter to be replaced per the maintenance manual. However, the dealer had an update from BMW that stated the cabin air filter is not to be replaced @ 1200 miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

I find this a little surprising. If that's the case, I'll probably pay to have the tranny fluid changed when I get the service done. I'd probably ask to see a printout of the BMW advisory on this.
      10-20-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

That conflicts with what the 09 service manual says...sounds suspicious.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
BMWguy206
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 400E

Might have to take this up with BMW NA and see what they have to say.

Changing the transmission fluid on a 6 speed manual is a lot cheaper though than doing it on the DCT transmission.
      10-20-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Yeah, honestly it is a bit difficult to get a straight answer here in Germany. I am headed back to the States this week and am going to hit up crevier and irvine bmw's service techs for a more solid answer hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 07:20 AM   #8
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, honestly it is a bit difficult to get a straight answer here in Germany. I am headed back to the States this week and am going to hit up crevier and irvine bmw's service techs for a more solid answer hopefully.
I would. I just double checked and it says Tranny and Diff fluid need to be changed except on DCT.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
I would. I just double checked and it says Tranny and Diff fluid need to be changed except on DCT.
what is "it?" Service manual? I might have a different version, because mine certainly doesn't mention it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #10
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Maybe it's related to Germany, B_W. They didn't change transmission fluid on my car either ('08). According to the service instructions (back then) it's not necessary here, only for European "cold climate countries."

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Maybe it's related to Germany, B_W. They didn't change transmission fluid on my car either ('08). According to the service instructions (back then) it's not necessary here, only for European "cold climate countries."

Best regards, south
Thanks South, that makes me feel a bit better. Kind of odd though because I think that US spec cars have it show up in the key data, and it wasn't in mine. Its not in the book, and the engine and diff oils were changed, so I'm not worrying about it. Maybe I'll have them change it at 10,000 or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #12
Singletrack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what is "it?" Service manual? I might have a different version, because mine certainly doesn't mention it.
Yup - it's a service booklet that is separate from the standard manual. It has spaces for the techs to check off what they did for each service and states what needs to be done at each service.
Appreciate 0