F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Empty ConnectedDrive menu
GetBMWParts

11-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
Emrond
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport 2016

Empty ConnectedDrive menu

Hello, guys.

So I have recently bought an 2016 320d and I'm really happy with it. The previous owner was a skilled code and retrofitter and has upgraded the cluster to 6WB, changed the head unit to the one with 4GB RAM and flashed ID6 and coded some other stuff in the car.

The only issue that has been bugging me for some time is that my ConnectedDrive menu is empty. The car has Connected Drive options on its VIN.

6AM Real Time Traffic Information
6AC Intelligent Emergency Call
609 Navigation System Professional
7XP Navigation Package Connecteddrive
6AK Connecteddrive Services
6AE Teleservices
6NS Enhanced Telephony With Extended Sm
6AP Remote Services

However, the only entry in my ConnectedDrive menu is BMW Assistance.
Also, if i hit option, the Update BMW Services is greyed out and Login also will be stuck at Checking user data.

From factory the car had NBT Evo ID4 so there was no change involving the ATM. In fact, the previous owner has the car added on his account in the BMW Connected app and we tested it today. The car operated a remote command sent by him, so I'm sure the mobile connection works.

I plugged my laptop with ESYS today and read the VO and searched through FDL. I couldn't find anything suspicious. All options related to ConnectedDrive or so were enabled.

Do you have any suggestions? I have read a lot of threads but nothing seemed to help.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #2
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Your subscription has probably run out.

Look on the BMW Connected Drive website. It should tell you which services you have active.

It probably doesn't help that the other owner has the car on his subscription. Have him remove it and then look on the website

Last edited by Rick4345; 11-17-2020 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Added information
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

No solution, but an idea.
Do you have ISTA?
So first you can read out the error memory.
And then somewhere in ISTA you can do something like reactivate the connection or the repair the connecteddrive services.
Maybe you can try it.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
Emrond
Rep

The car isn't linked in any way with my account. I can't login and I have no "Messages" find the code and register it on my account.

This is how my menu looks like.

@atzebmw thanks for the suggestion with ISTA. I don't have it yet, but I can install it and check what you described.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
Emrond
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
No solution, but an idea.
Do you have ISTA?
So first you can read out the error memory.
And then somewhere in ISTA you can do something like reactivate the connection or the repair the connecteddrive services.
Maybe you can try it.
Hello. I have tried reading error memory with ISTA today.

This is what i found relevant to communication module.

I couldn't find any relevant information on repairing connecteddrive services in ISTA or on other forums.
I thought about buying an WIFI Antena and plugging it in.
I don't really understand the Bluetooth error since my bluetooth is working just fine.

Do you think you can point me to a source for the repair in ISTA you mentioned? I don't have much experience with ISTA so maybe I don't know where to look for it.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrond View Post
Hello. I have tried reading error memory with ISTA today.

This is what i found relevant to communication module.

I couldn't find any relevant information on repairing connecteddrive services in ISTA or on other forums.
I thought about buying an WIFI Antena and plugging it in.
I don't really understand the Bluetooth error since my bluetooth is working just fine.

Do you think you can point me to a source for the repair in ISTA you mentioned? I don't have much experience with ISTA so maybe I don't know where to look for it.
Thanks.
I was searching in ISTA with the keyword "connecteddrive" and found this ABL (see attachment).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 02:57 AM   #7
Emrond
Rep

I've run the selected procedure. It can't update my ConnectedDrive services for some unknown reason and it also mentions there are memory faults in the communications module.

I coded WLAN_DIAGNOSE to false so that I could remove the Wi-fi antenna error. However, I had no luck in updating my services.

I asked my local BMW ConnectedDrive support to register the car to my account.
I can make remote commands and track GPS, which is enough for me.

There might be a problem with my iDrive software or unit. I'll try to find a way to update it.
Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:06 AM   #8
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Did you ever get it fixed??
      12-03-2020, 03:48 AM   #9
Emrond
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
Did you ever get it fixed??
Hey. Unfortunately, not.
I didn't manage to update my BMW Services by any means. It didn't work even through ISTA. There must be something wrong with my iDrive i guess.

I am fine with having remote control on my phone. I guess I'll have connected services on my next car .
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:01 AM   #10
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrond View Post
Hey. Unfortunately, not.
I didn't manage to update my BMW Services by any means. It didn't work even through ISTA. There must be something wrong with my iDrive i guess.

I am fine with having remote control on my phone. I guess I'll have connected services on my next car .
When i read again your start posting i got another idea.
Your car has similar features to mine.
My car has 6WB retrofitted, ID6 retrofitted from ID4 and i have the working connecteddrive menu.
And i also read that you have E-Sys.
So we can compare the codings from my headunit with yours.
If you want you can send me the CAFD from your headunit and i can compare it with mine?
Or i send you my CAFD and you can compare it yourself?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #11
Emrond
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
When i read again your start posting i got another idea.
Your car has similar features to mine.
My car has 6WB retrofitted, ID6 retrofitted from ID4 and i have the working connecteddrive menu.
And i also read that you have E-Sys.
So we can compare the codings from my headunit with yours.
If you want you can send me the CAFD from your headunit and i can compare it with mine?
Or i send you my CAFD and you can compare it yourself?
Sure, that would be great. I'll send you my CAFD files on a PM.
I really believe that it isn't a coding problem, but something wrong which blocks me from hitting the "Update BMW Services" which is supposed to bring up the entries in the menu. I'd try updating iDrive but i wouldn't know what to install and i'm afraid of losing all my extra coding.

Thanks for help.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 03:34 PM   #12
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

FWIW - this might not be your issue - but I'm pretty sure that if a VIN is already registered to a user, ConnectedDrive won't let you register it... Your seller needs to drop the car completely from his account, and phone app - it sounds like it's still tied to him (and their ConnectDrive subscription is expired).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 05:43 PM   #13
Tuerkay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
FWIW - this might not be your issue - but I'm pretty sure that if a VIN is already registered to a user, ConnectedDrive won't let you register it... Your seller needs to drop the car completely from his account, and phone app - it sounds like it's still tied to him (and their ConnectDrive subscription is expired).
donīt think this is an issue. i was able to add two used cars to my connected drive accounts without the preowners removing them, just by adding the VIN and inserting the activation code send to the cars.

when did the items in the CD menu dissapear? (Did you code something/ did you press "update services"/ just suddenly without doing anything)
Do you know if the preowner swapped the ATM with another one or did he just change the HU and the current ATM ist still the stock one?
If you have ESYS, connect to car and click "read coding" on HU and ATM. it should show short VIN on ECU list. if it shows you car VINon HU and ATM itīs an coding issue. If it shows another VIN on one of the two ECUs, a CAN-Filter was used and updating services will remove services after pressing "updated service" once and will stay greyed out after.

if "update services" is greyed out, that means that either there is an communication issue between HU <-> ATM (VIN mismatch) or ATM <-> BMW servers. With ista you should be able to check if ATM is connected (showing LTE).
if you haven done anything and the services suddenly stopped showing, you can try to unplug the ATM power plug and wait for 1h-2h. If ATM isnīt blocked by BMW, it should reconnect.
Appreciate 1
visionaut1311.50
      12-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #14
Adrian_CRG
Enlisted Member
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 640xd

Your problem happens with ID4 to ID6 retrofits when using original ATM in car if for some reason "Service Update" is initiated by BMW backend.
Let me explain:
When you do "Update services" in car, headunit sends to BMW servers request for provisioning data for actual hardware in car HU_NBT2 and ATM1, so BMW server will send SIGNED provisioning file to EVO and ATM.
When this update is initiated by BMW, server is looking at car's factory ilevel to determine the car configuration so will send to EVO and ATM ID4 type of provisioning which is UNSIGNED.
Unsigned provisioning data is rejected by both EVO and ATM so headunit remains with no provisioning so does not know even the ip address of the server to request them again, hence the greyed out menu.

Solution:
Manual upload of provisioning data files with Tool32 or Online Services Update job in ISTA but ISTA must have online connection to BMW backend, so a cracked ISTA will never work, only online ISTA connected to dealer ISPI Next server.
Wibbles444.50
      09-13-2022, 08:51 AM   #15
piknuie
Rep
Drives: bnw 420i

I have a similarity problem too.
I had 6WA, with NBT (ID4) and TCB 3G.
I retrofitted the 6WB, with NBTevo (ID5 with ID6 graphics) and 4G ATM.
Everything works, the Connected menu is populated with Weather, News, Flickr, etc etc.

I can - from app - start remote commands (open, close and beep).
But most importantly (for me) it doesn't work. It does not come out 'ALL OK' and it does not show me the details of windows and doors (if closed or open).

From the Connected Drive site I can buy the usual packages I bought with the TCB 3G, and not new with 4G ..

By making a CarData, I am returned 'SIM status': ACTIVE.

I called Connected drive and I let myself dare the IMEI of the sim that sees a screen: it coincides with the label of my new ATM.

Can you help me to enable the status of the doors and windows from the app?

edit: the VIN is original MINE. In ATM and in HeadUnit.. All original
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 05:07 PM   #16
Dtype
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by piknuie View Post
I have a similarity problem too.
I had 6WA, with NBT (ID4) and TCB 3G.
I retrofitted the 6WB, with NBTevo (ID5 with ID6 graphics) and 4G ATM.
Everything works, the Connected menu is populated with Weather, News, Flickr, etc etc.

I can - from app - start remote commands (open, close and beep).
But most importantly (for me) it doesn't work. It does not come out 'ALL OK' and it does not show me the details of windows and doors (if closed or open).

From the Connected Drive site I can buy the usual packages I bought with the TCB 3G, and not new with 4G ..

By making a CarData, I am returned 'SIM status': ACTIVE.

I called Connected drive and I let myself dare the IMEI of the sim that sees a screen: it coincides with the label of my new ATM.

Can you help me to enable the status of the doors and windows from the app?

edit: the VIN is original MINE. In ATM and in HeadUnit.. All original
I have the same problem. But in my case my Nbtevo and ATM are original, not retrofitted.
Have you solve this?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 04:46 PM   #17
SimonBMW1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

This is happening to me too and a few other users. We have the remote commands. Just no weather etc load in car.
Id6 i have fitted, not retrofitted

Something on bmw side i think
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 02:40 AM   #18
piknuie
Rep

Not solve... work all (weather, remote commands, etc etc) but LSC/Status car no...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 04:25 PM   #19
Dtype
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by piknuie View Post
Not solve... work all (weather, remote commands, etc etc) but LSC/Status car no...
I’ve called to connected drive help and after two weeks the solved my problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 11:13 AM   #20
piknuie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtype View Post
I’ve called to connected drive help and after two weeks the solved my problem.
Good!

I've made 10 calls and reports to Connected Drive in the last year. They don't want to help me here.
But I'm also hiding the retrofitt (iDrive 4 + TCB 3G --> iDrive 6 + ATM 4G) for fear of being permanently banned
Appreciate 0