F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rebeading a tyre - what does it mean?
ARMA SPEED

11-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Rebeading a tyre - what does it mean?

OH's car has been into the dealer today, one of the issues being a slow puncture. Someone from service just phoned and said the tyre needs stripping and rebeading. As usual, OH had already hung up before coming and asking my opinion, so I wasn't able to speak to service myself.

Could anyone please explain (a) what this means and (b) what might have caused it? Two questions in my mind:

1 - is the tyre faulty? It's fairly new so I'll be kicking off with the place it came from if it is.

2 - is this a result of wheel damage? No mention of it apparently but there doesn't seem much point doing anything with the tyre if the underlying problem isn't sorted.

Thx for any help.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
OH's car has been into the dealer today, one of the issues being a slow puncture. Someone from service just phoned and said the tyre needs stripping and rebeading. As usual, OH had already hung up before coming and asking my opinion, so I wasn't able to speak to service myself.

Could anyone please explain (a) what this means and (b) what might have caused it? Two questions in my mind:

1 - is the tyre faulty? It's fairly new so I'll be kicking off with the place it came from if it is.

2 - is this a result of wheel damage? No mention of it apparently but there doesn't seem much point doing anything with the tyre if the underlying problem isn't sorted.

Thx for any help.

As a guess they've found the leake around the edge of the rim where it meets the tyre.

I think it just means they'll remove the tyre clean up the alloy and the tyre and reassemmble.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-GT View Post
As a guess they've found the leake around the edge of the rim where it meets the tyre.

I think it just means they'll remove the tyre clean up the alloy and the tyre and reassemmble.
Thanks, that seems plausible and hopefully not too expensive. Not something I've come across before though.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

It’s re bedding the tyre on the rim?
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #5
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Yup rebeading is just re sitting the bead on the tyre to the alloy, nothing fancy, maybe a bit of bead sealer to help if the alloy is curroded on the sealing face
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #6
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the replies, it doesn't sound too drastic then
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #7
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Had it a few times on older wheels.

Most likely remove the tyre, get the wire-wheel on the inside of the alloy to scrub away any corrosion or old stuck on stuff, then refit the tyre with a load of tyre bead paste, which stops tiny leaks.

If you have a slow puncture and there's no obvious holes, it's not the valve core, then it's often around the bead.

If you submerge the wheel underwater you can see little bubbles*, or by "painting" a water/washing up liquid solution on you can see the bubbles sometimes.

* do this at your own risk. My mum lost her absolute $h!t when I did that in their bathtub and left rubber marks in the bath. Got a right hiding for that one. She practically kicked me out the house before the end of summer and back to my university digs

My progress thread
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #8
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBri89 View Post
Had it a few times on older wheels.

Most likely remove the tyre, get the wire-wheel on the inside of the alloy to scrub away any corrosion or old stuck on stuff, then refit the tyre with a load of tyre bead paste, which stops tiny leaks.

If you have a slow puncture and there's no obvious holes, it's not the valve core, then it's often around the bead.

If you submerge the wheel underwater you can see little bubbles*, or by "painting" a water/washing up liquid solution on you can see the bubbles sometimes.

* do this at your own risk. My mum lost her absolute $h!t when I did that in their bathtub and left rubber marks in the bath. Got a right hiding for that one. She practically kicked me out the house before the end of summer and back to my university digs
I can imagine! Don't think we'll be trying that in our cheap white acrylic bath
Appreciate 0