Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Opinion G20 vs G22 M Performance parts

11-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #1
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330Xdrive

Opinion G20 vs G22 M Performance parts

Hi Everyone,

It seems the G22 M-Performance parts are really lacking in variety in my opinion on the vehicle compared to the G20 M-Performance parts:

2021 BMW M440i G22 M Performance Parts:

VS

2019-2020 BMW G20 M Performance Parts:

and brighter video here for M Performance Parts debut back in 2018:

For the M440i
You can see the M-Performance front lip spliter is only available all CF and it appears to be in 3 pieces, no option for pure black.
The M-Performance CF side skirts are stuck on tip of the skirt trimming, doesn't contour, wrap around and blend into the existing side trimming. No option for black gloss side skirts.
The CF Spoiler is so thin compared to the CF spoiler from the m340i, where's the beefiness?
Only thing that M440i has as an accessory is blacked out numeric badge on the back vs the m340i
Left and right canards for m440i, not available on the m340i
With the 430i M-Sport and M440i I believe from the factory the black diffuser insert is standard. Only option to upgrade will be the CD diffuser insert.
Large kidney grill can be replaced with CF version.

For the m340i
The M-Performance front lip spliter is all black in one piece and you can add the front CF left and right side wings. It seems more to make the car lower.
The side skirts are black but contour, wrap around the edges and blend into the existing side trimming, not just 'tacked' on like the m440i. It seems more to make the car lower and tastefully sportier.
You have rear spoiler options: a smaller matt black which can be painted or larger beefier CF spoiler. Looks more classy and tastefully aerodynamic.
Option to have black diffuser insert or CF diffuser insert.
No OEM CF kidney grill available

Does anyone notice these? Thoughts and comments? If you were to order the 430 or m440, what M-performance parts would you consider/not consider?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Garage List
I would agree I like the aesthetics of the m340i side skirts over the m440i option, but I still think they look decent.

Front lip looks cleaner to me on the m440i, and the stock rear trim I believe is gloss black regardless of diffuser choice. For the m340i you have to pay extra for the gloss black.

Spoiler definitely is better on the m340i, that spoiler on the m440i is sad if it's truly the optional accessory add on.

If I was going with M performance on the m440i, I think I would do front lip, side skirts, and the cf diffuser. I would look for an alternative spoiler option that looked slightly more aggressive than OEM.

On the m340i, I would do M performance rear trim, cf insert, cf spoiler, and I would do an aftermarket cf side skirt and cf splitter (aa concepts splitter and kies side skirts come to mind).
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

I would be nice if BMW would at least get the parts on-line so we can shop for them.

There are apparently 2 different MP grilles available for the 4. The CF surround with black center and cerium numbers similar to the stock grill, and one that is all gloss black with no acF and no cerium. I’ve ordered that one already through sponsoring vendor BMWPartsPros.com

Last edited by VetteGuy; 11-01-2020 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

Here's my question. Historically, does adding any of these performance parts increase resale value? If not, not really enticing.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

These M Performance parts generally don’t make the cars faster or handle better either. It’s all about individualizing and enjoying your car now. I don’t believe that dressing a car up now to improve resale value 2,3, or 10 years from now is the reason for buying any performance or appearance parts.

Hey, just make it look good and drive it like you stole it!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #6
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

Ok cool, so let me drop $1500 on an MPE or a carbon fiber spoiler on top of my $550 monthly payment to get no additional value when I go to resell the car, even though I took the step to differentiate it from stock cars. I'm not a yolo kind of guy so this is not really smart if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKrazyPolak View Post
Ok cool, so let me drop $1500 on an MPE or a carbon fiber spoiler on top of my $550 monthly payment to get no value when I go to resell the car, even though I took the step to differentiate it from stock cars. Not really smart if you ask me.
You're not wrong about the financials not making sense, but then again the most economical thing is to buy a used 2014 Ford Explorer and drive it for 250k+ miles.

Also, you could always remove the M Performance parts and sell on forums to recoup some of the upfront costs. I did that with my last lease, removed the performance exhaust and just swapped the OEM back on, selling the exhaust for 75% of what I paid.
Appreciate 0