E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > First car: Oil level issue [help :( ]

09-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #1
faheemrafeek
Registered
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 316i (N45)

Unhappy First car: Oil level issue [help :( ]

Hi Guys,

So I just bought my first E90 (also happens to be my first car). I got a good deal so I could not turn it down, the previous owner maintained it pretty well and I know him personally.

The car is a 2011 316i with the N45 engine (1.6L, Petrol, 4 cyl, 128 HP) and the car has done 99500 kms (62000 miles). I have a slight issue where, when I start the car, the oil level shows MAX. However as I am driving, especially long distances (30 - 50 kms) the oil level reading gradually goes down to min, to the point where it gives me a warning to top it up by 1L. However, if I park the car overnight (or say, for 3-4 hours) and come back, the oil level reading back up to max again.

The previous owner did repair some oil leaks (Engine Oil Sump Gasket, Tappet Cover Gasket, Intake Cam, Exhaust Cam and Cam Sensor O-rings, Drain Bolt) and has completed the 100k oil/filter change already, so it should really not be this low. Any suggestions or solutions on what this might be? My hunch is a faulty sensor as it takes around 10-15 mins of the engine being on to give a reading, before which it just shows me the "clock" symbol suggesting that its still "waiting " for the reading.

This is my first time here, so expect a lot more "HELP" posts (although I WILL check the forum before posting, forgive me if the above has already been addressed)

Last edited by faheemrafeek; 09-22-2020 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0