BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-15-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
BMW UK M3/M4 marketing email - we may only get the Competition model here

Hi all, just received an email from BMW UK (I'm UK based), which included a link to sign up for the latest info on the G80/G82.

So why am I telling you guys, you might ask? Well when I followed the link, the page talked exclusively about the Competition/auto versions.

So as I suspected this means we won't get the 'base' model option in the UK, same as we only get the X3M Competition.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by naywa01 View Post
Hi all, just received an email from BMW UK (I'm UK based), which included a link to sign up for the latest info on the G80/G82.

So why am I telling you guys, you might ask? Well when I followed the link, the page talked exclusively about the Competition/auto versions.

So as I suspected this means we won't get the 'base' model option in the UK, same as we only get the X3M Competition.
Did you guys purchase many 6MT F8x's? They may not have a business case for selling the "base" version consequently.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Looks like only 2.3% of F80s with Right Hand Drive (U.K. being in that bucket) were sold with 6MT. Makes sense they wouldn't offer it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #4
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

It could be the case but I’m not convinced. They’ve made much more fuss over the manual version this time round, I wouldn’t be suprised to see us getting it too.

Sadly I don’t think any version can overrule the styling for me.

Instagram c1_cdg
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #5
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Here was the text in the email I received:

Ahead of their world premiere in September 2020, the new M3 Saloon and M4 Coupé have taken to the track for testing. Both show a significant increase in performance due to improvements in M TwinPower Turbo technology. Both Competition model cars will deliver 510hp and an 8-speed M Steptronic transmission.

The link I got took me to this page. https://discover.bmw.co.uk/article/m-goes-up-a-gear

I am not completely surprised, this happened with the S85 and S63Tu engines in the various M5 and M6 cars only being available as a 6MT in LHD
      09-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Here was the text in the email I received:

Ahead of their world premiere in September 2020, the new M3 Saloon and M4 Coupé have taken to the track for testing. Both show a significant increase in performance due to improvements in M TwinPower Turbo technology. Both Competition model cars will deliver 510hp and an 8-speed M Steptronic transmission.

The link I got took me to this page. https://discover.bmw.co.uk/article/m-goes-up-a-gear

I am not completely surprised, this happened with the S85 and S63Tu engines in the various M5 and M6 cars only being available as a 6MT in LHD
I don't have any skin in the game for the UK so impartially your analysis looks accurate. No mention of 480hp 6mt variant... but they did mention xdrive which isn't going into production till next summer. I suppose you won't have official confirmation till next week.

Were any UK specific press invited to the 6mt pre-prod drives?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #7
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
I don't have any skin in the game for the UK so impartially your analysis looks accurate. No mention of 480hp 6mt variant... but they did mention xdrive which isn't going into production till next summer. I suppose you won't have official confirmation till next week.

Were any UK specific press invited to the 6mt pre-prod drives?
Agreed. This was really misrepresented in his original post. They talk about the competition models...that's it. The absence of specific language devoted to the "base" models does not indicate they won't be offered.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
naywa01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Agreed. This was really misrepresented in his original post. They talk about the competition models...that's it. The absence of specific language devoted to the "base" models does not indicate they won't be offered.
Hope you're right Frankie, but I'm not holding my breath, given we only seem to get the Comp models in the UK now.

If they were planning to launch the 480/6MT version, why not mention it?

We also don't get the option of the RWD M340i here either

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they also didn't bring the M3 Touring to the UK, given the cost of engineering a RHD version.

In any case I guess we'll find out in a week!
Appreciate 1