E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > P0430 - Bad o2 sensor reading or cat?

09-13-2020, 11:19 PM   #1
HMG_E93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 328i Convertible

P0430 - Bad o2 sensor reading or cat?

I'm getting a 29f5 (P0430) on my 08 328i e93 with 200k miles. In INPA I'm seeing the voltage for bank 2 downstream o2 sensor fluctuating from .78 volts down to near zero. The one for bank 1 fluctuates too but not as much. I thought this was a sign that the sensor was bad so I replaced it with a new bosch. Cleared the code but comes right back once the catalyst readiness check completes. I also can't seem to get the lambda probe readiness to complete although the heater one will. This has me thinking that the o2 sensor might be good but just isn't reading correctly due to a bad connector or wires. I haven't tested the actual voltage with a meter yet. From my reading the rear sensors should stay fairly stable while the front ones fluctuate but INPA seems to show the opposite.

I'm not sure if it's the cat since the car seems to drive just fine. Gas mileage is slightly down but I haven't been driving it all that much. At $1000 I wanna be sure that's really the issue before replacing it. Need this fixed so I can get get it smogged.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
NFiftyWon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328 X-Drive

I had a similar issue. Dealer replaced cats and it went away. If you want to be sure pull them out and inspect
Appreciate 0