E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Has anyone here ever had a 2DED code..

09-07-2020, 09:23 PM   #1
Kiddvegas
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 OG

Has anyone here ever had a 2DED code..

I keep getting a pretty violent limp mode once the car warms up. I've seen it on the N54 forums, but I know that we have different DME's. Happens at random throttle positions, big yellow check engine light with the cross through it, no throttle response at all, Have to cycle the ignition for throttle control again.

Currently running a StageFp tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 07:02 AM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Without scanning the DME with INPA/ISTA to get the codes that triggered it, we’d just be guessing.

What other electronics have you fiddled with? Any retrofits?

https://www.justanswer.com/bmw/bw8zo...t-control.html
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 08:21 AM   #3
4foothill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddvegas View Post
I keep getting a pretty violent limp mode once the car warms up. I've seen it on the N54 forums, but I know that we have different DME's. Happens at random throttle positions, big yellow check engine light with the cross through it, no throttle response at all, Have to cycle the ignition for throttle control again.

Currently running a StageFp tune.
Yep, appears in my codes a few times, but never any ill-effects. I think it's just something is pulling power when the car is in standby (probably because my alarm detector thing in the engine bay is always unplugged from working in the engine bay). The ECU should detect it and power off anyway from my understanding.

Are you sure it's that which is causing your check engine light? I'm sure ISTA P always reports it won't cause a check engine light.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 10:47 PM   #4
HydroxFrost
@Lucky.330i
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Garage List
Got any aftermarket electronics hooked up to your car? Also when was the last time you replaced the battery?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #5
M80DCX
The Girl With The Skills!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 N53 - 330i msport

Garage List
Hi, new to site and been browsing threads, setting up profile and stuff saw this, having the same issue - Have 2008 e92 330i msport - Been having the usual age related issues recently, ive replaced the starter, main relay, oil exchange, rocker cover, coil packs & Sparks, Water Pump and Thermostat and brand new battery less that 4 weeks ago
... then after all this she had the 'Black Out' that ended up with her being recalled to BMW for the Positive Power line fix, this was exactly a week ago... since then ive had code 2DED, she wont start, battery is being drained and cant even use the boost pack to get her going... any ideas please? Im sound with the mechanics and programming but if its electrical i'm proper lost... any advice would be massively appreciated as this girl is my labour of love, we've been to hell n back together and i dont wanna quit on her now
Cheers, Victoria
      09-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M80DCX View Post
Hi, new to site and been browsing threads, setting up profile and stuff saw this, having the same issue - Have 2008 e92 330i msport - Been having the usual age related issues recently, ive replaced the starter, main relay, oil exchange, rocker cover, coil packs & Sparks, Water Pump and Thermostat and brand new battery less that 4 weeks ago
... then after all this she had the 'Black Out' that ended up with her being recalled to BMW for the Positive Power line fix, this was exactly a week ago... since then ive had code 2DED, she wont start, battery is being drained and cant even use the boost pack to get her going... any ideas please? Im sound with the mechanics and programming but if its electrical i'm proper lost... any advice would be massively appreciated as this girl is my labour of love, we've been to hell n back together and i dont wanna quit on her now
Cheers, Victoria
What scan tool are you using? You should really try and get ISTA (what the dealers use) to scan the car with. Other scan tools tend to be a bit inaccurate. You could try unplugging the IBS sensor in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
M80DCX
The Girl With The Skills!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 N53 - 330i msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaBmw View Post
What scan tool are you using? You should really try and get ISTA (what the dealers use) to scan the car with. Other scan tools tend to be a bit inaccurate. You could try unplugging the IBS sensor in the meantime.
Thanks for getting back to me, have Carista full access OBD diag tool - Its showing as "Power Management Closed Circuit Violation"
Tried a battery reset, erased the code and still nothing though...
      09-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
4foothill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

Open your bonnet/hood and check the sensor on the cowling is getting pushed down properly when it's shut. That's what triggers the code for me, probably not what your problem is but worth checking.

Also unplug as many things as possible that aren't necessary (amp, mulf, anything aftermarket) to try and narrow down what is drawing power.

Maybe try shutting the car off, get a multimeter and then check the fuses for any current. Or you should be able to infer which ones these are from the schematic/wiring diagrams. Also I would start your own thread in the electronics forum because you'll hopefully get someone with a lot more knowledge of the car electronics.

Edit: the fact that it won't start sounds like it might be the IBS sensor based on what others have said. You'd save yourself a lot of effort checking the codes with INPA/ISTA or finding someone who will do it for you. Cables are only cheap and the software is easy to install.

Last edited by 4foothill; 09-23-2020 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0