F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dying to add a DP, reluctant to do so
GetBMWParts

08-20-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i M-Sport

Dying to add a DP, reluctant to do so

Can someone convince me please. I have JB4, MHD, intercooler, catback, basically most but DP. The smell as every person on earth mentions is clearly the main problem and price is as well.

1: Fabspeed catted has been the suggestion, anyone looking to get rid of one so im not spending a million dollars lol?

2: Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
- Injen intake
- Active Autowerke intercooler
- Active Autowerke charge pipe
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
FancyTie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Package 6spd

Smell isn't that bad.. It's personal preferences anyway.
I've ran catless the last 4 years on all my cars lol but I do agree that my 335i smells more than my others v4. I can't smell anything if I don't do pulls but I do if I let the car do some crazy burbles and park the car!

You should check Members classified on the forum for used part.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyTie View Post
Smell isn't that bad.. It's personal preferences anyway.
I've run catless the last 4 years on all my cars lol but I do agree that my 335i smells more than my others v4. I can't smell anything if I don't do pulls but I do if I let the car do some crazy burbles and park the car!

You should check Members classified on the forum for used part.
I check the classifieds every day lol. There are a lot of DP, just looking specifically for ones suggested for less smell, or is that rubbish?? Lol
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by a404freedom View Post
Can someone convince me please. I have JB4, MHD, intercooler, catback, basically most but DP. The smell as every person on earth mentions is clearly the main problem and price is as well.

1: Fabspeed catted has been the suggestion, anyone looking to get rid of one so im not spending a million dollars lol?

Thanks!
I have no smell, never did
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zole2112 View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
I have no smell, never did
What pipe do you use?
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

If you are concerned about price and want the no CEL guarantee along with no smell and OBD2 emissions compliance, just wait until black friday. AA was on sale for $750 last year (although that could have been in part because it was just launched), and fabspeed was around $1150.

If you dont care about emissions or CEL and just want to get rid of most the smell, get a cheaper catted.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 12:13 PM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

A DP is worth it. Less restriction on the turbo (very good), reduced under hood heat, more responsive motor/turbo, more HP and TQ, and improved sound.

Spend the money and get a quality catted DP. Fabspeed ($1300), Active Autowerke's ($1000) and HJS ($1400) all make good DPs that won't throw CELs. I'd go with the Autowerke's or HJS as they run cleaner running 300 cell cats. It improves the sound quality and won't make your catback loud as hell.

I wouldn't go catless because:

1) With your catback, it will be real loud and raspy
2) Raw fuel smell on cold starts and will while idling in traffic.
3) No real performance gains compared to catted.
      08-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #8
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
If you are concerned about price and want the no CEL guarantee along with no smell and OBD2 emissions compliance, just wait until black friday. AA was on sale for $750 last year (although that could have been in part because it was just launched), and fabspeed was around $1150.

If you dont care about emissions or CEL and just want to get rid of most the smell, get a cheaper catted.
You get what you pay for and id never go cheap, every dollar counts in both directions lol
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 01:56 PM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You get what you pay for and id never go cheap, every dollar counts in both directions lol
Then refer to my post and XutvJet above. I suggest waiting until black friday sales in 2-3 months. Like i said, they were significant last year, and you can probably save $200+ on the expensive ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #10
Conr4d
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3M Competition

Quote:

Thanks!
Your best bet is to visit your local BMW tuning shop or find a local BMW car meet-up to compare the smell and sound of fellow enthusiast’s cars with catless & catted down pipes. I was on the fence until I did the same and it helped persuade my decision to go catless.

Don’t believe the hype about catless making your exhaust sound raspy. I believe that is only a problem when paired with a resonator delete + muffler delete.

Here’s what my set-up sounds like. Evolution Racewerks Catless Down Pipe, Dinan Resonator Delete, Dinan Exhaust.

https://youtu.be/yEutWAQZDF8

Last edited by Conr4d; 08-20-2020 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 02:59 PM   #11
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

I'm down in San Diego, you are more than welcomed to hear and smell my catless setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #12
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
I'm down in San Diego, you are more than welcomed to hear and smell my catless setup.
Much appreciated, we have moves from Santa Monica to Austin so I'm on the hunt out here for good shops. I've met someone who has an incredible m4, havent sat in the car, just aware of what hes got. Next time we meet I'll definitely jump in. Thank you all very much!
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 05:50 PM   #13
WaleeF30
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92

I was hesitant to go catless but now I can't go catted anymore lol

The turbo spook delay is way less than it was before catless

Yes there's a smell when you're sitting in traffic but I'm addicted to that smell now plus you can just put your windows up

Cold start is LOUD but the exhaust note is worth it IMO

It's all up to preference but if you go high flow catted remember that you still run the risk of blowing out your cat with burbles
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #14
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaleeF30 View Post

Yes there's a smell when you're sitting in traffic but I'm addicted to that smell now plus you can just put your windows up

It's all up to preference but if you go high flow catted remember that you still run the risk of blowing out your cat with burbles
"Spool delay" is way less going from OEM to catless? Yes.

"Spool delay" is way less going from a good catted to catless? No.

The performance difference between a good catted (read - fabspeed, AA, or equivalent) compared to a catless on a stock turbo application is negligible. You shouldn't feel like you are leaving power on the table by going with one of those catted. That's the objective part.

These threads always turn into a debate about catted vs catless, with half the people say it smells and the other half saying it doesn't, so people liking the sound and others saying its too raspy or loud, etc. That's the subjective part.

Extremely aggressive burbles are dumb to begin with, and shame on you if you run them with any catted DP. Normal (read - OEM) burbles are completely fine on a catted DP.

The advice to go smell and hear a catless F30 is probably the best advice to make an informed decision. Or, just pay the money for a good catted and call it a day; you can't go wrong going that route.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #15
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Catted downpipes make the car sound muffled and unnatural in my opinion

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:26 PM   #16
a404freedom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaleeF30 View Post

"Spool delay" is way less going from OEM to catless? Yes.

"Spool delay" is way less going from a good catted to catless? No.

The performance difference between a good catted (read - fabspeed, AA, or equivalent) compared to a catless on a stock turbo application is negligible. You shouldn't feel like you are leaving power on the table by going with one of those catted. That's the objective part.

These threads always turn into a debate about catted vs catless, with half the people say it smells and the other half saying it doesn't, so people liking the sound and others saying its too raspy or loud, etc. That's the subjective part.

Extremely aggressive burbles are dumb to begin with, and shame on you if you run them with any catted DP. Normal (read - OEM) burbles are completely fine on a catted DP.

The advice to go smell and hear a catless F30 is probably the best advice to make an informed decision. Or, just pay the money for a good catted and call it a day; you can't go wrong going that route.
I agree, going to shops and meeting with other to hear and smell is probably the best thing to do.

That being said, if anyone has recommendations to shops in Austin please let me know. I moved here in June and with Covid there has been many restrictions with me being able to go around and meet people.
- Injen intake
- AWE catback

*** I want more!!!***
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #17
zole2112
Rep

Quote:
What pipe do you use?
VRSF, no fitment issues. I haven't had a leak as far as I know but I am going to be doing the O-ring upgrade when I install my turbo.

And as far as cost, I'll likely get crucified for this lol, it's just a pipe man....fitment is key though. I am an engineer and I am old, just saying!
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF

Last edited by zole2112; 08-24-2020 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #18
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zole2112 View Post
VRSF, no fitment issues. I haven't had a leak as far as I know but I am going to doing the O-ring upgrade when I install my turbo.

And as far as cost, I'll likely get crucified for this lol, it's just a pipe man....fitment is key though. I am an engineer and I am old, just saying!
The "it's just a pipe" argument is somewhat true for catless (assuming fitment is OK), although the VRSF still doesn't have a support bracket.

Does not apply to catted, as the cats between different cost/brands are very different (plus concerns about fitment and support brackets).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

If legal in your state, get the Active Autowerke downpipe.
No smell, no CEL

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #20
zole2112
Rep

Quote:
The "it's just a pipe" argument is somewhat true for catless (assuming fitment is OK), although the VRSF still doesn't have a support bracket.

Does not apply to catted, as the cats between different cost/brands are very different (plus concerns about fitment and support brackets).
True Dat!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #21
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullfan View Post
Catted downpipes make the car sound muffled and unnatural in my opinion
In my opinion, its the turbo that makes the car sound muffled and unnatural.
      08-21-2020, 07:08 PM   #22
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
So I finally had my FabSpeed cat put on... definitely louder but not too loud... in my opinion it's perfect.... People heads turn when I get on it (sounds very cool)... but won't turn the cops head during normal driving... Was going to take the resonator off but don't think I need to... Turbo spools up a lot quicker...

Cold start in my Apartments 50 car Garage is really loud coming out of one pipe until the other pipe opens up... I was surprised...

Last edited by FastF30; 08-21-2020 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0