F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N26 Valve Cover to Intake vacuum hose
Extreme Powerhouse

08-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #1
JessesBimmer
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i xdrive f30

Guys please help me.. fairly new to the bimmerpost community.
have everywhere for more info.
my car is a 2014 bmw 328i xdrive n26 but production date is 08/2013.
My problem is my mechanic broke the nozzle on the valve cover (only the n26 has this nozzle) that goes into another nozzle on the air intake.

What im trying to figure out is if i have to replace the whole valve cover or is there a way to only replace that piece somehow?
pics below for reference!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 12:26 AM   #2
JessesBimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessesBimmer View Post
Guys please help me.. fairly new to the bimmerpost community.
have everywhere for more info.
my car is a 2014 bmw 328i xdrive n26 but production date is 08/2013.
My problem is my mechanic broke the nozzle on the valve cover (only the n26 has this nozzle) that goes into another nozzle on the air intake.

What im trying to figure out is if i have to replace the whole valve cover or is there a way to only replace that piece somehow?
pics below for reference!
bump
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #3
JessesBimmer
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Look it up at http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #5
JessesBimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
hey man, thanks for the reference link but i've checked it out, doesn't give me much information tbh.
everything seems to lead to me having to change the entire valve cover but i posted the question to see if there was hopefully another alternative, pretty expensive job and all.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I'd find a way to fix it, probably gluing a brass or stainless steel tube into the hole, then using rubber tubing to complete the connection to the air intake.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
JessesBimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I'd find a way to fix it, probably gluing a brass or stainless steel tube into the hole, then using rubber tubing to complete the connection to the air intake.
yeah i'll have to ask and see who can do some sort of fitting for me there, hopefully i can do that instead.. not sure what effects it can have if i left it as is. been like that for 3 weeks of driving and no cel or anything else so we'll see. thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 10:08 PM   #8
viper7180
Rep
Drives: '06 IB M3

I broke a similar fitting on the air box. I ended up getting a pack a vacuum line male to male adapters from the local auto parts store. It did require that fitting, on my air box (your valve cover) to be drilled out slightly. I then used an epoxy to set the adapter in place. I wasn't going to source a replacement air box when I could repair the fitting for $5.

Although when drilling slowly, the plastic can be removed by the action of the drill bit. I would advise against any drilling with that valve cover on. Don't want to mistakenly get plastic inside the valve cover.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2020, 02:02 AM   #9
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Whyt hasnt the mechanic offered to replace the valve cover? He broke it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 08:02 AM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper7180 View Post
I would advise against any drilling with that valve cover on. Don't want to mistakenly get plastic inside the valve cover.
+1, but then the gasket would have to be replaced. That's why I'd use a metal tube that wouldn't require drilling out the hole.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
ScottSmith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 N20

I believe that line provides ambient air pressure reference to the PCV system so it can provide the appropriate vacuum to the crankcrase (by either directing the crankcase to the intake runners or the pre-turbo hose). The hose normally connects post air-filter but pre-MAF. I think this is different than the N20 because that valve can leak a small amount of hydrocarbons, and with the N26 BMW wanted to capture a few remaining places where those could leak to the environment (on the N20, it's just open like yours is now).

BMW doesn't actually reference that hose, but they do mention changes to the valve cover for the N26: "The cylinder head covers are made of plastic. They accommodate the oil separation of the crankcase ventilation. The oil separators are made of plastic and are very similar to those in the N20 engine. The major change to the cylinder head cover is that the crankcase pressure regulating valve is now welded to the cover and no longer to be replaced separately."

So my read between the lines is: sealing the valve wasn't enough, they also wanted to recycle any fumes from the pressure regulating valve back into the engine.

IMO you won't damage the engine running like this. You might fail smog if they do visual checks where you are and the inspector really knows what to look for. Valve covers range from $85 for cheap knockoffs to $350+ for OEM so you can decide if it's really worth it to fix or not.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2020, 11:20 AM   #12
JessesBimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSmith View Post
I believe that line provides ambient air pressure reference to the PCV system so it can provide the appropriate vacuum to the crankcrase (by either directing the crankcase to the intake runners or the pre-turbo hose). The hose normally connects post air-filter but pre-MAF. I think this is different than the N20 because that valve can leak a small amount of hydrocarbons, and with the N26 BMW wanted to capture a few remaining places where those could leak to the environment (on the N20, it's just open like yours is now).

BMW doesn't actually reference that hose, but they do mention changes to the valve cover for the N26: "The cylinder head covers are made of plastic. They accommodate the oil separation of the crankcase ventilation. The oil separators are made of plastic and are very similar to those in the N20 engine. The major change to the cylinder head cover is that the crankcase pressure regulating valve is now welded to the cover and no longer to be replaced separately."

So my read between the lines is: sealing the valve wasn't enough, they also wanted to recycle any fumes from the pressure regulating valve back into the engine.

IMO you won't damage the engine running like this. You might fail smog if they do visual checks where you are and the inspector really knows what to look for. Valve covers range from $85 for cheap knockoffs to $350+ for OEM so you can decide if it's really worth it to fix or not.
i did get a cel from this, i can't remember the code, but it was for running too lean and its because the tap on the air intake that connects to the valve cover is after the maf sensor causing it to take in unmetered air. so regardless, whether its bad or not to run it as is, it should be fixed lol but like the other guys said before on this post, its not worth a whole valve cover job. its best to find a way to plastic weld some sort of nozzle to connect the vacuum line and call it a day.
if the engine blows it blows, im considering an engine swap in the future anyway lol
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 11:58 AM   #13
ScottSmith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 N20

Did you try plugging the hole on the airbox? That will prevent it from pulling in unmetered air.

My mistake on it being before the MAF. Here's a link to the Injen air intake for N20/N26:
https://x-ph.com/injen-air-intake-bm...i-428-n20-n26/
Third and fourth picture show where they have you connect the line; of course N20 doesn't need that so they just plug it up in that install...
Appreciate 0