F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F30 335d Evolve/Unicorn
GetBMWParts

08-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #1
teamshock nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

F30 335d Evolve/Unicorn

Hello

Looking to get my car mapped.

Appreciate this is an age old topic, but i'm torn between the two companies.

Evolve i have used previously on my 335i and they are about 40 mins from me.

Unicorn seem to come highly recommended, and are 3hrs from me

The distance isn't the issue, I'm just wondering what your opinions are in terms of am i going to get a better map from one over the other?

Do i need to be driving to stockport to use unicorn if Evolve are just as good/better?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

I think both are very well regarded in remapping BMWs, I would have no hesitation in using either if it was my car, but went with Emaps as it was local to me.

In your shoes, I'd go Evolve as you'll get a well regarded map and god customer service without the need to travel (personally I'd not travel for it even now as it's not 'essential,' but that's just my view).

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Whilst unicorn might give you a few fluffy extra horsies I would still go with Evolve if they are that much closer. Sure they have always been pricey but if that isn't the issue then I'm sure Imran and his team will certainly look after you well.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 03:15 PM   #4
Mikey365247
Private
Rep
Drives: f30 335d

I'd go with unicorn I've used him for years and if you want something truly custom to your car I'd use Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 05:17 PM   #5
CuntFace5000
Banned
Rep

Or DMS and they'll flash it on your doorstep.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 05:26 PM   #6
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by demc1982 View Post
For flashing on your doorstep I’d go for Simon from Emaps .. much cheaper than DMS and still a quality remap from an experienced tuner.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13352.00
      08-11-2020, 05:41 PM   #7
CuntFace5000
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Quote:
For flashing on your doorstep I’d go for Simon from Emaps .. much cheaper than DMS and still a quality remap from an experienced tuner.
DMS will flash on your doorstep, give you lifetime support all inclusive of the price, a dyno session to fine tune if you're ever near Southampton and give the most bhp gains. Not to mention their maps are very reliable and have been developed in house by their team.
Appreciate 1
Firaxis265.50
      08-11-2020, 05:46 PM   #8
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

It may depend on whether you 'just want a remap' or are looking for something a bit more involved.

If it's the former, just go to the closest reputable tuner which offers a fair price.

If it's the former, call several and see which one takes the time to talk to you and actually answer your technical questions.

A few months ago I was actively considering a Stage 2 setup for my car and had an interesting in-depth chat with Rick at Unicorn. I wanted to sound him out and he came across as someone who really knows these BMW 6-cyl units and what they can reliably achieve.

That's not to dismiss Evolve - we just didn't have that chat.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #9
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
DMS will flash on your doorstep, give you lifetime support all inclusive of the price, a dyno session to fine tune if you're ever near Southampton and give the most bhp gains. Not to mention their maps are very reliable and have been developed in house by their team.
I hope not, anyway I was going to dismiss DMS and go with Evolve due to distance, although all the points you've made make DMS tempting. Thanks for the info..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 03:03 AM   #10
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firaxis View Post
Quote:
I hope not, anyway I was going to dismiss DMS and go with Evolve due to distance, although all the points you've made make DMS tempting. Thanks for the info..
I'm sure DMS are good, but it's not all about the bhp gains. It's about the delivery of that power, how the engine feels and ultimately, not pushing it beyond its boundaries that will severely increase maintenance and wear and tear.

Not looked at them myself before, just things I'd consider as you can get all the bhp you want, doesn't mean it's usable.

Look at the reviews carefully. Took me ages to make up my mind as customer service and reputation are very important when dealing with BMW engines.

I used Simon at Emaps on recommendations from here - fantastic reputation and his remaps are well regarded on here and other sites. Custom mapping on your doorstep, has lasted for years on many cars from here.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 07:31 AM   #11
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post
I'm sure DMS are good, but it's not all about the bhp gains. It's about the delivery of that power, how the engine feels and ultimately, not pushing it beyond its boundaries that will severely increase maintenance and wear and tear.

Not looked at them myself before, just things I'd consider as you can get all the bhp you want, doesn't mean it's usable.

Look at the reviews carefully. Took me ages to make up my mind as customer service and reputation are very important when dealing with BMW engines.

I used Simon at Emaps on recommendations from here - fantastic reputation and his remaps are well regarded on here and other sites. Custom mapping on your doorstep, has lasted for years on many cars from here.

Armaan
Agreed, the car already has enough HP and reliability is king so I'd be looking for 20% max anyway. As you said it's all about delivery and I think the 340i is missing the mark.

Once it gets rolling the 340i is relentless but in the low mids it feels rather gutless and this isn't a petrol vs. diesel thing because my now departed Astra 200 SRI (new shape) petrol in sport mode would kick like a mule barely above tickover.

Although that was also its issue, with a high riding clutch pedal you'd often lurch / spin the wheels and have to be very careful not to hit the car in front of you. Even in third the wheels would spin from practically no revs, due to that I barely ever used sport mode.. The go pedal was essentially an on off switch and at higher revs when the torque dropped off it had little to boast about.

However it did feel impressive, far nippier than the 340i up to 3.5K revs.. So I need a map for the 340i that'll take advantage of the torque / ZF 8AT to the fullest (without making it unusable). Again it's not about HP, more about delivery for me..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #12
CuntFace5000
Banned
Rep

For the record DMS pride themselves on reliability. That's why when I asked them to fit hybrid turbos and rewrite my map they refused on the grounds of reliability and longevity.
Appreciate 1
Firaxis265.50
      08-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #13
g9icy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe MSport

I think evolve are still closed but are offering remote remaps? Best to check!

Personally I really like what I've seen from Evolve's YT videos and I'm not sure I'd go with anyone else at this this point for a remap.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 02:39 PM   #14
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

DMS went well above and beyond for a friend who had issues. They sussed out a problem after spending many hours looking at the car. They mapped it a year prior but still spent ages fault finding for the guy.

Top quality service. I wonder how much they'd charge to turn off cold start if I get a new cat on my 340i. Hmmm
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 12:40 AM   #15
teamshock nick
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g9icy View Post
I think evolve are still closed but are offering remote remaps? Best to check!

Personally I really like what I've seen from Evolve's YT videos and I'm not sure I'd go with anyone else at this this point for a remap.
They are open
Appreciate 0