BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

08-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
tnsatbhs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
First Ceramic Coating Installed on my M340i!

Finally got my car after a longer than usual wait (COVID related plant shutdowns right after my order was accepted) and was able to get the car properly detailed and coated this weekend. I started the process by foaming the car and then doing a two bucket wash. Then chemically decontaminated and clayed the car. There were a couple paint defects that I wanted to take care of so I followed the decon up with a light polishing. A quick panel wipe and I was ready to install the ceramic coating, which was my first foray into coatings. I've used sealants and SiO2 enhanced products in the past, but never a true coating. After much research, I ended up going with one coat of GTechniq Crystal Serum Light and two coats of Exo V4 for the coating. I had read many horror stories with ceramic coatings (difficult to install, high spots, hazing, etc.), but thankfully I didn't run into any issues. I did pay a lot of attention to the prep and took my time doing everything, which I think really helped make this a smooth install. In the end, I'm really happy with the gloss and smoothness provided from the coating, and am looking forward to the protection it provides hopefully for the entire lease term. I will definitely be installing ceramic coatings on all my cars moving forward.

Products used:

Meguiars Hyper Wash D11001
Meguiars Non-Acid Tire and Wheel Cleaner D14301
McKee's 37 Xtreme Iron Remover
McKee's 37 N914 for Clay lube
Aquapel Glass Coating
Meguiars M205
Lake Country White Flat Pad
CarPro Eraser
GTechniq Crystal Serum Light
GTechniq ExoV4
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
pneumodoc231.50
themnmd1687.00
A6bullet336.00
      09-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Car looks fantastic! Are you a member of the Obsessed Garage Facebook group, by any chance? If not, you should check it out. I get the hunch that you'd fit right in!

I'm not brave enough to ceramic coat my own cars. I'm barely comfortable correcting paint, so I stick with the tried and true Collinite 845/Jescar Powerlock combo.

That said, I think I am going to ceramic coat my wheels and calipers once my M340 arrives. That will be a good first test for myself.

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      09-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #3
tnsatbhs
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforty6_m3 View Post
Car looks fantastic! Are you a member of the Obsessed Garage Facebook group, by any chance? If not, you should check it out. I get the hunch that you'd fit right in!

I'm not brave enough to ceramic coat my own cars. I'm barely comfortable correcting paint, so I stick with the tried and true Collinite 845/Jescar Powerlock combo.

That said, I think I am going to ceramic coat my wheels and calipers once my M340 arrives. That will be a good first test for myself.
Thanks! I'm not a member of the Facebook group, but I've watched tons of the OG videos on YouTube. Tons of great information!

I was a little worried about ceramic coating as well, but honestly I didn't run into any issues. I think the key to coatings is to spend the time on the prep. I was very meticulous on this job since it was the first time. Took me about 14 hours to clean, polish, and apply three coats of ceramic. I could've went quicker, but i figured it was better just to take my time. I think I was more nervous the first time I took a DA polisher to one of my cars than putting this coating on. At least if I messed up the coating I knew I could just polish it off.

The wheels and calipers are the only thing I haven't done yet. By the time I was done with the paint, I was ready to be done. I plan on putting the car on stands and doing the wheels and calipers soon though. I'd say that's a great place to try your hand at ceramic coating. Once you get the hang of it then you can do your whole car.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #4
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Great job I did mine too. just takes time and patience
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #5
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d XDrive M Sport (G20)

Looks great!! i'm about to undertake my first detail work on black swirly car... Never done anything like this before apart from using normal wax but i'm sick of seeing swirls and light scratches... I don't think i could go all the way and add a ceramic coating just yet. I hope mine comes out looking like yours.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:44 PM   #6
M340_pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Looks good. The reflection and clarity in the 4th pic is amazing.
      09-04-2020, 10:13 PM   #7
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Looks amazing!
      09-07-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)