BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Cosmetic Modifications Tips on fixing a peeling spoiler

08-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
Dord94
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530E M sport

Tips on fixing a peeling spoiler

Hey guys,

Got my first (used) BMW a few weeks back. I've noticed that the spoiler has started to peel up from the left hand side. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on helping this? If I gently peel the spoiler up I can see, what looks like, some sort of sealant, maybe Tiger Seal since it's black.
Am I best off using something like white spirits to clean it and then re apply some sealant?

I'm not very technical when it comes to cars so I apologise for the lack of car jargon.

Also, not sure if the spoiler is legit, has anyone got any tips for identifying a legitimate BMW spoiler? If I know it's legit I'd just bring it into BMW to fix.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 03:07 PM   #2
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dord94 View Post
Hey guys,

Got my first (used) BMW a few weeks back. I've noticed that the spoiler has started to peel up from the left hand side. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on helping this? If I gently peel the spoiler up I can see, what looks like, some sort of sealant, maybe Tiger Seal since it's black.
Am I best off using something like white spirits to clean it and then re apply some sealant?

I'm not very technical when it comes to cars so I apologise for the lack of car jargon.

Also, not sure if the spoiler is legit, has anyone got any tips for identifying a legitimate BMW spoiler? If I know it's legit I'd just bring it into BMW to fix.
Thanks!
I think the spoiler is held in place with two sided tape. Post a picture.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
Dord94
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530E M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mffarrell View Post
I think the spoiler is held in place with two sided tape. Post a picture.
Took a few photos, you probably don't need most of them though!

http://imgur.com/a/aZO4UsS
Appreciate 0