F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Drive train malfunction after changing spark plug
Extreme Powerhouse

08-06-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
Vestr36
Tdawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540i xDrive

Drive train malfunction after changing spark plug

I just changed all four spark plugs today and noticed after starting up the car a Drive train malfunction error came up. I made sure to torq it again and it went away then came back the second time I started the car. The car isles fine not rough or shaking, however after the next start up it went away again and I haven't seen it since. Is there something I did wrong? I feel like it would show up tomorrow when I start it up. I'm only worried because I change the plugs before leaving to Canada in a few days and it will be a 600 mile trip.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
helix247
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestr36 View Post
I just changed all four spark plugs today and noticed after starting up the car a Drive train malfunction error came up. I made sure to torq it again and it went away then came back the second time I started the car. The car isles fine not rough or shaking, however after the next start up it went away again and I haven't seen it since. Is there something I did wrong? I feel like it would show up tomorrow when I start it up. I'm only worried because I change the plugs before leaving to Canada in a few days and it will be a 600 mile trip.
If the plugs are genuine, and gapped correctly, you may need to re-seat the coils. If they are not down all the way, you could be misfiring. I have read posts where people thought they were seated correctly only to find they were not after taking to mechanic. Also, some have reported that plugs were fouled on inspection during reseating the coils, which means they had to change them again.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 08:32 PM   #3
Vestr36
Tdawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by helix247 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestr36 View Post
If the plugs are genuine, and gapped correctly, you may need to re-seat the coils. If they are not down all the way, you could be misfiring. I have read posts where people thought they were seated correctly only to find they were not after taking to mechanic. Also, some have reported that plugs were fouled on inspection during reseating the coils, which means they had to change them again.
Yeah they are all genuine plugs I bought off bmws website and are all pre gapped. I just taken all them out and torqed it all to 17lb and inserted all coils back in making sure all the wire are connected. Doesn't seem to have anymore error, only popped up that one time. I'm thinking either you're right about not having the coil pack all the way in, or maybe the wire wasn't in properly. I just heard some people don't get the error immediately, and might get it 1-2 weeks down the road
Appreciate 0