E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > VVT issue after valve cover gasket replacement?

08-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
slas1990
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

VVT issue after valve cover gasket replacement?

So after 8 great years, the time has come for me to part with my N52 convertible. I thought I would set the next owner off on the right foot and also have some fun by replacing the valve cover gasket.

A few hours and choice muttered swear words later, I have the gasket properly seated and the VC back on. I go to start the car, and after a few moments it revs up to 1500RPM and then begins to idle erratically and stall. I check all the sensors, connections, and etc., then restart. Same thing.

I noted that when I unplug the the valvetronic motor, it does not behave this way and runs/idles just fine. Plug the motor back in and the erratic behavior resumes. Strangely, if I use INPA to clear the fault codes after shutting down, the problem does not occur on the next start, but does return on the following start.

I reset the adjustment motor adaptations with INPA and this does not seem to help. INPA shows code 2A82 Inlet VANOS (218) Moves with difficulty - jammed mechanically. I have cleaned and swapped the VANOS solenoids already and that did not change the error to exhaust side or affect anything else.

I have a replacement valvetronic motor on order, but think this will be fruitless as I can hear mine doing something when running the INPA VVT test. Does anyone have instructions on how to relearn the stops on it?

I am frustrated that this short project is turning into a goose chase, but I guess that's how it goes. I want to be able to sell the car while the summer sun is still attracting buyers. I see a litany of folks with similar errors, but have not seen someone else report that unplugging the adjustment motor makes things OK.

Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Sure you put back the PCV valve correctly and all the plugs are connected well?

Check all your plugs, including the Valvetronic to make sure they're snapped into place. I screwed up and the fuel rail plugs were connected but not pushed in all the way. Pushed it in to a snap and bam, started.

When you remove the valvetronic, unscrew all the way, then when putting in, spin it in (lightly) to the right until it gives resistance. Helps it find the endpoint better (cause its at the endpoint).

I think you said you already found the relearn in INPA, but for reference. There is also a 10 pedal press version, but I dont think that's actually needed.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=13
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 09:05 AM   #3
simzjr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi

I'm having the same issue, but I have codes 002D06 (Air Mass System) and 002D15 (Air Flow Sensor, Measuring Range). I have tried replacing the MAF Sensor but I think it's a vaccuum leak somewhere (even though I can't find it). Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by simzjr View Post
I'm having the same issue, but I have codes 002D06 (Air Mass System) and 002D15 (Air Flow Sensor, Measuring Range). I have tried replacing the MAF Sensor but I think it's a vaccuum leak somewhere (even though I can't find it). Thoughts?
You hit the nail on the head that its probably one of the two. Check PCV first behind the valve cover and also that you mated the plastic inlet to the throttle body as that is a common mistake. Also assume you replaced gaskets for TB and IM. Those are the easy ones to start with.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 04:53 PM   #5
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep
Drives: Man

When that happened to me i cleaned the 2 vanos solenoid make shure you clean them properly take your time not just the outside ..Thats what i did and it went away..
Appreciate 0