BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-03-2020, 08:21 PM   #1
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Jack Pads

Question: when the X5 goes on a 4-point lift, are jack pads needed? (see first picture below) I want to say no, since the weight is distributed evenly on all 4 points, and the lift arms themselves cover enough surface area to make contact on the entire rectangular jack point (see second picture below).

My interpretation is, only use a jack pad if whatever device you are using that makes contact with the rectangular jack point is unable to cover the entire surface area?

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
130FeetDeep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforbrian View Post
Question: when the X5 goes on a 4-point lift, are jack pads needed? (see first picture below) I want to say no, since the weight is distributed evenly on all 4 points, and the lift arms themselves cover enough surface area to make contact on the entire rectangular jack point (see second picture below).

My interpretation is, only use a jack pad if whatever device you are using that makes contact with the rectangular jack point is unable to cover the entire surface area?

It is a personal preference. I can tell you the jackpoints get mangled if you just use a jack on them, so why not just use the $10 pads.
Appreciate 1
bforbrian702.00
      08-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #3
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130FeetDeep View Post
It is a personal preference. I can tell you the jackpoints get mangled if you just use a jack on them, so why not just use the $10 pads.
Agreed. Once you mangle them, you can never use them again. I believe they are just hard plastic.

You don't have to buy the Turner motorsports brand.... just buy a cheap set on eBay. They are worth having. In fact, I bought a cheap UGLY set on eBay... in "neon road-cone orange"... so I'd never lose them - LOL

Get 4. You'll likely never use all 4 at once.... but keep them in the car, and next time a mechanic wants to jack your car up using a 4-post life, give them to him. He'll resent you, because it's extra work... but make him use them anyway.
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038
Appreciate 1
bforbrian702.00