BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > M performance exhaust (N55 M2) in Melbourne

08-02-2020, 02:17 AM   #1
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

M performance exhaust (N55 M2) in Melbourne

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone here has an M performance exhaust for their OG N55 M2 (no dp mod) here in Melbourne as it would be great if I could get a listen as I'm looking to purchase one.

I know we've now just entered another stage of restrictions here in Melbourne but thought I would ask on the above now in advance for when things get lifted.

Stay safe Melbourne ppl!

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone here has an M performance exhaust for their OG N55 M2 (no dp mod) here in Melbourne as it would be great if I could get a listen as I'm looking to purchase one.

I know we've now just entered another stage of restrictions here in Melbourne but thought I would ask on the above now in advance for when things get lifted.

Stay safe Melbourne ppl!

Thanks.
Not anywhere near Melbourne, but trust me when I say, the MPE on the OG M2 sounds absolutely outstanding. Has a nice meaty grunt to it, without being raspy. Sound is subjective, but IMO, it's the best sounding exhaust for the M2, hands down.

Even if you do not get a chance to hear it in person, you will not regret getting one.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 05:01 PM   #3
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

I'll hook you up when we return from restrictions, no worries. I am sure i can organise someone to give you a listen and a ride in one.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 05:08 PM   #4
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
I'll hook you up when we return from restrictions, no worries. I am sure i can organise someone to give you a listen and a ride in one.
Much appreciated Andrew, thank you - looking forward to it.

Hope the latest round of restrictions doesn't impact your workshop and it's business as usual for you and the team.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

Stay safe Melbourne ppl!

Thanks.
Not anywhere near Melbourne, but trust me when I say, the MPE on the OG M2 sounds absolutely outstanding. Has a nice meaty grunt to it, without being raspy. Sound is subjective, but IMO, it's the best sounding exhaust for the M2, hands down.

Even if you do not get a chance to hear it in person, you will not regret getting one.
Thanks for the inputs. It's all mostly positive reviews and feedback here on the forums on the MPE, but as you've said sound is very subjective. Trying to do as my due diligence as going through on it.

Guessing you've got the MPE on your car then? Anything not so great to point out from your experience? Most I've heard is around the cold start rattle (which seems quite a few have fixed this) and the highway drone especially on the 6MT. Some have said the MPE is a bit on the loud side but from what I've read those persons also have a sports cat as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #6
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Stay safe Melbourne ppl!

Thanks.

Thanks for the inputs. It's all mostly positive reviews and feedback here on the forums on the MPE, but as you've said sound is very subjective. Trying to do as my due diligence as going through on it.

Guessing you've got the MPE on your car then? Anything not so great to point out from your experience? Most I've heard is around the cold start rattle (which seems quite a few have fixed this) and the highway drone especially on the 6MT. Some have said the MPE is a bit on the loud side but from what I've read those persons also have a sports cat as well.
Yup. Those are the 2 downsides.

The coldstart rattle was annoying, but I took mine up to the dealership and they replaced it under warranty for me. Said the rattle was actually inside the exhaust can itself. Ever since then, no rattle.

The drone is at around 3000 rpm or so. It's a bit annoying at highway speeds (80mph in 6th gear) in my 6MT., But honestly it doesn't bother me enough to out weigh the positives. You can always cruise in 5th gear at slightly higher rpm if it bugs you.

It's not too loud IMO. Unless you drive around with the flaps open (Bluetooth remote controlled).

Now, if you add a downpipe with the MPE, it's a whole different beast and pretty loud. I have a AA catted downpipe and cold start in the morning will rattle your windows I don't really mind it much, but YMMV.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 10:54 PM   #7
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Stay safe Melbourne ppl!

Thanks.

The coldstart rattle was annoying, but I took mine up to the dealership and they replaced it under warranty for me. Said the rattle was actually inside the exhaust can itself. Ever since then, no rattle.

The drone is at around 3000 rpm or so. It's a bit annoying at highway speeds (80mph in 6th gear) in my 6MT., But honestly it doesn't bother me enough to out weigh the positives. You can always cruise in 5th gear at slightly higher rpm if it bugs you.

It's not too loud IMO. Unless you drive around with the flaps open (Bluetooth remote controlled).

Now, if you add a downpipe with the MPE, it's a whole different beast and pretty loud. I have a AA catted downpipe and cold start in the morning will rattle your windows I don't really mind it much, but YMMV.

Hope this helps!
Great - thanks for the inputs there. Good to hear that the cold start rattle was resolved under warranty.

Do you have ASD coded off or have the bypass harness installed? If so - any experienced before/after having ASD off with the MPE?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 11:55 PM   #8
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Stay safe Melbourne ppl!

Thanks.

Hope this helps!
Great - thanks for the inputs there. Good to hear that the cold start rattle was resolved under warranty.

Do you have ASD coded off or have the bypass harness installed? If so - any experienced before/after having ASD off with the MPE?
Yup. Installed ASD bypass. It definately improved the overall experience in the cockpit.

If you have an oem exhaust, you may like the ASD, but once you have an aftermarket exhaust, it's just extra noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 03:26 AM   #9
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Stay safe Melbourne ppl!

Thanks.

Hope this helps!

Yup. Installed ASD bypass. It definately improved the overall experience in the cockpit.

If you have an oem exhaust, you may like the ASD, but once you have an aftermarket exhaust, it's just extra noise.
Great - I've got one on order. Was planning to install it with or without the MPE exhaust just to remove the extra noise in the cabin. Some have said that's how the car should have been like from factory with ADB off, but many have said it's too quiet without ASD. Will report in to once ASD is off with the bypass harness.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 03:41 AM   #10
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Hey mate fellow Melburnian.

I have Remus which sounds pretty good. Have you considered that option?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 07:40 AM   #11
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightM2 View Post
Hey mate fellow Melburnian.

I have Remus which sounds pretty good. Have you considered that option?
Hi there.

Yes - I have considered the Remus too. Sounds great from the numerous YouTube clips out there. Sounds quite similar to the M performance exhaust but from what I've read there isn't any drone with the exhaust and plus there's no cutting involved unlike for the install for the MPE. Lots of choices for exhaust tips too.

How did you shortlist buying the Remus? Did you get a chance to listen to a few exhausts including the Remus first? Anything particular reason you went with the Remus in the end?

Would be great to get the chance to hear your car in-person post lockdown. Hopefully better days ahead for Melbourne!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 05:46 PM   #12
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Taken from https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/stage-4-...tions-covid-19

"I live in metropolitan Melbourne – can I get out of the house and just go for a drive?

No. From 6pm on Sunday 2 August, you can no longer leave home to go for a drive. You can drive if you are leaving home for shopping for food and necessary supplies, medical care and caregiving and work and study, if you can't do these from home."

Stay safe Melburians
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:30 PM   #13
SparklingRed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i -> M135i -> M2C

You can visit a car dealership. I think this one has a M Performance exhaust.

http://maxouzas.com.au/our-cars/#!/v...MW-M2/21661395
      08-05-2020, 10:43 PM   #14
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingRed View Post
You can visit a car dealership. I think this one has a M Performance exhaust.

http://maxouzas.com.au/our-cars/#!/v...MW-M2/21661395
Thanks for flagging this but I have actually already test driven this back in June when at that stage I was shopping around for an M2.

Unfortunately, I didn't take too much note of the exhaust as I was too busy checking out all other aspects of the drive and the car as that happened to be the first M2 I had driven.

Anyway - I understand car dealerships aren't even open right now under stage 4 restrictions if I'm not wrong? I would rather not go back under the pretence that I'm interested in that car to just check out an exhaust. I also actually had to wait nearly 1 hour just to test drive the thing too!

Hoping by lockdown end can meet some MPE owners and get a better idea and extended time to hear the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:54 PM   #15
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
I would recommend against the MPE if possible... While it does sound great, I think other exhausts have better tones and better build quality (mine had rattling issues, bluetooth controller issues, and it cracked at one point too).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 12:29 AM   #16
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
I would recommend against the MPE if possible... While it does sound great, I think other exhausts have better tones and better build quality (mine had rattling issues, bluetooth controller issues, and it cracked at one point too).
Do you still have the exhaust on the car or did you end up moving on from it? If so - what did you end up going with?

I know some were able to get the rattle fixed (or the muffler replaced) - how did you get yours rectified?

About the cracked part - how did you find out it was cracked? Pardon my ignorance, but is it something you hear that isn't right hence inspecting the exhaust? Again, silly question on my lack of knowledge, but can these cracks be welded as a fix or does the exhaust needs to be replace?

With the Bluetooth issues - what were the exact controller issues? the valve wouldn't open/close on the button press or the valve would shut by itself?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #17
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Do you still have the exhaust on the car or did you end up moving on from it? If so - what did you end up going with?

I know some were able to get the rattle fixed (or the muffler replaced) - how did you get yours rectified?

About the cracked part - how did you find out it was cracked? Pardon my ignorance, but is it something you hear that isn't right hence inspecting the exhaust? Again, silly question on my lack of knowledge, but can these cracks be welded as a fix or does the exhaust needs to be replace?

With the Bluetooth issues - what were the exact controller issues? the valve wouldn't open/close on the button press or the valve would shut by itself?
My dealer replaced mine and it is working fine for now!
I knew it was cracked because my whole left exhaust tip fell off (the whole left piece where the valve is had just sheared off somehow).
Sometimes it will have a long delay before the valves open and sometimes the valves will automatically close on their own.
For now, I am keeping the exhaust, however, I'm definitely looking to swap it out at some point in the future.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 08:13 AM   #18
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My dealer replaced mine and it is working fine for now!
I knew it was cracked because my whole left exhaust tip fell off (the whole left piece where the valve is had just sheared off somehow).
Sometimes it will have a long delay before the valves open and sometimes the valves will automatically close on their own.
For now, I am keeping the exhaust, however, I'm definitely looking to swap it out at some point in the future.
Cools - good to hear you still got it on the car at least! Hope you're enjoying the sound it makes though!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #19
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Cools - good to hear you still got it on the car at least! Hope you're enjoying the sound it makes though!
It's a great sound, especially with my catless downpipe lol. It's just not a premium BMW quality product and the price reflects that - you could definitely pick up an m performance exhaust for way less than most of the other aftermarket ones...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 07:25 AM   #20
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's a great sound, especially with my catless downpipe lol. It's just not a premium BMW quality product and the price reflects that - you could definitely pick up an m performance exhaust for way less than most of the other aftermarket ones...
Good to hear you enjoy it!
How has the Bluetooth controller been for you? Seems quite a common issue with the valves closing themselves or the BT controller not responding.
Appreciate 1
samsamdar569.50
      08-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #21
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How has the Bluetooth controller been for you? Seems quite a common issue with the valves closing themselves or the BT controller not responding.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Honestly, it's extremely hit or miss... Wish BMW had created a better solution. Just yesterday the controller stopped working entirely for a couple hours and wouldn't open... I'd suggest getting an aftermarket valve controller.
      08-10-2020, 06:32 AM   #22
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Honestly, it's extremely hit or miss... Wish BMW had created a better solution. Just yesterday the controller stopped working entirely for a couple hours and wouldn't open... I'd suggest getting an aftermarket valve controller.

That is no good at all. Do you know if you've got one of the earlier model MPEs or one of the V2's with the cold start rattle fix and drainage hole?

I've done a bit of searching on these forums on what aftermarket valve controller options works with the MPE - is it only the JB4? Are you aware of any other controllers?
Appreciate 0