F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Garrett Hybrid E-Turbo
ARMA SPEED

07-31-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
sirch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 320i

Garrett Hybrid E-Turbo

Just curious if anyone else has been looking at adding on the Garrett Hybrid E-Turbo. In short the advantage will be you can add a larger turbo that might not be useful on the street using a normal turbo, but with the hybrid turbo it reduces lag and makes it more street friendly. I also find it interesting that Garrett is working AMG to start using them on there cars higher end cars.

I am curious in these turbo for adding to my car after I rebuild my engine within the year.

https://www.garrettmotion.com/news/m...-mercedes-amg/
2001 M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
Kel918
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328ix

I wonder how much it would cost, would need a battery pack
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 12:59 AM   #3
fazi13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Manual

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Do you even notice lag on the current n20 turbo? It’s so small already I barely feel any.. and I think a pure turbo is already $1500 without all the electronics.
Also I did contemplate rebuilding my n20 as well but it was way cheaper to drop in a slightly used engine. Got one from a 2016 328i with 8000 miles lol. It was like $3500 with shipping
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 05:28 AM   #4
RMMAGA
Private
Rep
Drives: 120i

the issue would be the integration, the EWG boost controllers in modern ECU are hard enough to manage for tuners

it is a cool concept as it can also recover turbine kinetic energy as a generator when off boost, or directly recover exhaust energy when driving a mid range loads where the WG can be closed up and used as a generator, however I guess that would only be a small amount like a few % of the actual power output

in low rev it can act as e supercharger, and allow the motor to remain in lower RPM with less gear change that should improve overall efficiency in EPA testing

also it can spin up on the e motor, for much less lag, especially at low loads and rpm where the spooling takes the longest as the exhaust energy is low

however all of the above requires some pretty close integration with the main ECU, that I think is going to be too much for most tuners to handle any time soon

also for us power junkies, I do not think its helpful, at high RPM high loads, the e motor will do nothing, I guess its only like a 5-10 kW motor, and for 500 WPH your looking at 50-60 kW of turbine energy needed to maintain something like 20 psi of boost, even with a 70% efficiency compressor

to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't use the e motor at all above about 4000 rpm, or only used it for turbine speed control / regeneration to prevent over boost
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
zerodb
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

If your vehicle doesn't have a high voltage battery system it becomes really difficult to use this type of tech. At 12V it takes a TRUCKLOAD of current to spool up a motor like this fast enough to be useful, but with a high voltage system like a hybrid would have, it becomes a lot more feasible. Back in the early 2000s I worked for the company that pionered this technology, which was then bought out by Honeywell/Garrett, the technology was poorly developed as Honeywell wanted to push VNT turbos instead; company was shut down, and now a couple decades later Garrett is parading it out as a new idea. (look up Turbodyne Dynacharger if you're curious) But on the topic of power requirements, we had motors that pulled in excess of 1000 amps on acceleration; the power leads were like garden hoses. The tech has surely improved since then but it's not trivial to manage that much electricity on a vehicle electrical system.

If you can properly integrate it and provide sufficient power, this could allow you to spec a MUCH larger turbine which vastly opens up the breathing capability of the engine because you're not choking the entire exhaust flow down to a tiny orifice to spool up your turbine. At a certain level of integration you can also eliminate the wastegate completely and essentially use regenerative braking to limit boost if necessary. 2.0L engines pushing 500+ HP are not a difficult goal with larger turbos, but they're nearly undriveable at lower revs. Put something like this in to provide usable boost at lower speeds and it starts to get really interesting.

Last edited by zerodb; 08-03-2020 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0