Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Apple Carplay Dropouts Melbourne

07-30-2020, 11:29 PM   #1
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

Apple Carplay Dropouts Melbourne

Hi Fellow G20 owners in Melbourne:

Are you guys experiencing ACP dropouts at certain spots in the wider Melbourne area? My ACP seems to always drop out on the Eastern Freeway between Chandler Hwy and Hoddle St. I also notice problem when going through toll points on citylink. Is it my phone/car or is this a common issue for everyone?

I'm runnong iOS13.6 on iphone 11 pro; and car is on software 11/2019.70 and is a 3/2019 build.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 02:42 AM   #2
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

I'm in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. I use Car Play with offline Spotify & find it great. No drop outs at all.

I have an IPhone 8 running IOS 13.5.1

I have the 2020 software update. But I've never had problems with earlier software.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 03:11 AM   #3
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Hi achk

I sometimes have dropouts , I use Tidal , so maybe lots of data not sure.
And sometimes I can't skip a track as well and the cover art does not update properly, but maybe to do with the app and carplay.

I am in Sydney though, but seems like it happens when 4G reception is not good so that's ok.

With apple maps no dropouts that I have noticed
Iphone 11 Pro Max running IOS 13.4.1

03/2020.58 03/2020 build
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 03:46 AM   #4
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

My entire CarPlay would disconnect... whether playing music or with navigation running or not. The main problematic spot is on the Eastern Freeway near Kew. I think it's worse since the OTA to 11/2019.70. I'm now reverted using Bluetooth or wired connection and just using the idrive for music and navigation.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 04:34 AM   #5
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I find it drops out occasionally because the phone gets hot in the wireless charger and overheats. Check if this is the case and remove from the wireless charger every hour or so to cool it down.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 07:32 AM   #6
Fd340
Rep
Drives: M340i

I find it dropouts or at least the audio pauses when passing through a Toll gate.
Eg city link or East link.

I also find sometimes I get a delay when talking on the phone of around 3 seconds .. very annoying but I thought it maybe had to do with my iPhone X being too slow for all the processing (I am using Waze at the same time)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 12:36 AM   #7
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bris-M340i View Post
I find it drops out occasionally because the phone gets hot in the wireless charger and overheats. Check if this is the case and remove from the wireless charger every hour or so to cool it down.
I've stopped using the wireless charger because I'm worried it will kill my battery with the amount of heat generated. And the charging is incredibly slow when one is also using the phone for music and navigation via ACP.

I'm using a cup holder mounted phone holder and charging with a short USB to lightening cable.

I'm hoping further iOS and BMW iDrive updates will improve the situation with wireless ACP but I'm not holding my breath. The wired system in my other car is far more stable but less convenient.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 06:30 AM   #8
akzz
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post

Are you guys experiencing ACP dropouts at certain spots in the wider Melbourne area? My ACP seems to always drop out on the Eastern Freeway between Chandler Hwy and Hoddle St. I also notice problem when going through toll points on citylink. Is it my phone/car or is this a common issue for everyone?

I'm runnong iOS13.6 on iphone 11 pro; and car is on software 11/2019.70 and is a 3/2019 build.

Thanks.
Exactly same issue with me ! I'm on 11/2019.40 - my software refuses to update once it's been transferred to the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:15 PM   #9
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fd340 View Post
I find it dropouts or at least the audio pauses when passing through a Toll gate.

I also find sometimes I get a delay when talking on the phone of around 3 seconds .. very annoying but I thought it maybe had to do with my iPhone X being too slow for all the processing (I am using Waze at the same time)
I get this too but have no idea why.

My car play has been rock solid. I think wireless car play utililises Bluetooth and a wi fi connection between the car and the phone. I could be wrong.

The 3 series I test drove dropped in and out and was terrible. It could have had an old software version.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #10
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Apple CarPlay uses Wi-Fi to connect, not Bluetooth, which interferes with electronic tolls, tram lines and wireless traffic cameras. All things VIC is known for
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:58 PM   #11
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
Apple CarPlay uses Wi-Fi to connect, not Bluetooth, which interferes with electronic tolls, tram lines and wireless traffic cameras. All things VIC is known for
Ah thanks. That's interesting.

I'be noticed that wireless playback via car play is higher quality than over regular idrive Bluetooth.

Wifi probably has more bandwidth.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 04:48 AM   #12
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
Ah thanks. That's interesting.

I'be noticed that wireless playback via car play is higher quality than over regular idrive Bluetooth.

Wifi probably has more bandwidth.
Yes I've been playing around with different connection methods. To my ears, using spotify, CarPlay has best quality, followed by direct USB and then Bluetooth. I've got the HK system.

It's a pity with the dropouts... so now I've settled with USB connection and have Waze running in the background and mainly using the native BMW navigation (which is very good for a built-in system when compared to other brands).
Appreciate 1
erawamai161.50
      08-05-2020, 08:21 PM   #13
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Yes I've been playing around with different connection methods. To my ears, using spotify, CarPlay has best quality, followed by direct USB and then Bluetooth. I've got the HK system.

It's a pity with the dropouts... so now I've settled with USB connection and have Waze running in the background and mainly using the native BMW navigation (which is very good for a built-in system when compared to other brands).
What music quality do you stream with in the car for Spotify? Does it make a noticeable difference to the sound quality? I also have the HK audio.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:15 AM   #14
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile View Post
Quote:

What music quality do you stream with in the car for Spotify? Does it make a noticeable difference to the sound quality? I also have the HK audio.
I've only ever streamed in "very high" and have never tried the lesser quality of Spotify. Most of my preferred playlists are downloaded beforehand so not really using much data on the go.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:09 AM   #15
7crwolf
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i G20

Quote:

Thanks.
100%. Like clockwork, I will get an audio dropout at EVERY. SINGLE. E-TOLLING area. It must interfere with the wifi connection on CarPlay. And it doesn't look like you can go to wired carplay once it's setup? I'm on 03/2019.70....
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 09:07 PM   #16
7crwolf
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i G20

Quote:

I have this same issue as well, iPhone XR running 13.6, and I actually had BMW update me to the latest iDrive last week, as I was hoping it would fix this issue (primarily). It did not, iDrive version 03/2020.69.

Does anyone know of a way to force Carplay to setup wired, instead of wirelessly? It seems that even when connected to the USB-C cable in the centre console, the connection is still wireless, as I still get the audio drop outs near all electronic toll points.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:14 PM   #17
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7crwolf View Post
Quote:

I have this same issue as well, iPhone XR running 13.6, and I actually had BMW update me to the latest iDrive last week, as I was hoping it would fix this issue (primarily). It did not, iDrive version 03/2020.69.

Does anyone know of a way to force Carplay to setup wired, instead of wirelessly? It seems that even when connected to the USB-C cable in the centre console, the connection is still wireless, as I still get the audio drop outs near all electronic toll points.
Unfortunately CarPlay only works wirelessly. I don't think BMW has the hardware in place for wired CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 12:36 AM   #18
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Yep car play is wireless only., You can choose to run it through i drive and music will play through regular Bluetooth or via the wired connection.

I'd try and un pair and re pair for car play a few times to see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 04:49 AM   #19
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post
Quote:

Yep car play is wireless only., You can choose to run it through i drive and music will play through regular Bluetooth or via the wired connection.

I'd try and un pair and re pair for car play a few times to see how it goes.
The problem may not solely due to BMW idrive. I'm hoping there will be improvement with iOS 14. Has anyway tried with the beta and can comment if CarPlay is more stable? I remembered a significant improvement when we went from ios12 to ios13.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 01:43 AM   #20
Wynnst0n
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330i

I'm running iOS 14 Beta and it drops out quite a bit around Perth. There are particular areas where it does it, so I am guessing that.

1. It uses 2.4Ghz Wifi
2. It's getting interference from something external

The car has USB-C and a lot of other tech, why can't the thing use 5Ghz Wifi....
Appreciate 1
achk132.50
      12-05-2020, 03:30 AM   #21
xfelix
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Same in Sydney. Dropout in certain places, especially underground parking which doesn’t have mobile signal and have strong wireless interference.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 09:17 PM   #22
Wynnst0n
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330i

Mobile signal and Wireless Carplay dropouts are unrelated. It's like what a few people have said. Wireless Carplay uses WIFI and it is susceptible to interference. Since the 2020/07 update it does jump WiFi channels when there is interference a lot better, problem is, it doesn't remember and resets every time you get in the car. So those temporary spots that drop your signal will still cause you pain. It is more of an issue in Australia because our regulation around Wifi frequencies and emission standards are well behind the rest of the world (basically everyone gets away with using cheap, crap Wifi gear that isn't emission tested properly, including the govt.)

Just to add, I've had a buddy in the passenger seat with a WiFi signal analyzer and I've driven to the areas in Perth that drop out my CarPlay. The signal analyzer goes off it's nut (loads of interference) in the areas it drops. I think the only possible fixes BMW could do is work out how to get it to change channels and remember it (learn over time what areas need what channels), or, provide better signal shielding for inside the cabin, however the latter might be a lot harder due to the whole keyless entry system.
Appreciate 0