F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > HELP!!! All cylinders misfiring after new headgasket and timing chain
ARMA SPEED

07-29-2020, 12:00 AM   #1
issabimmer
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i X-drive

HELP!!! All cylinders misfiring after new headgasket and timing chain

*SOLVED*

I'm scratching my head over here. Can somebody please point me towards the right direction. I had timing chain failure on my n20 and I removed the cylinder head to make sure that valve didnt hit pistons not knowing that n20 engine are non-interference. After finishing the job, the engine has been misfiring on all cylinders and I cant seem to be able to fix that.

No DTC codes other than misfire and camshaft limit position sensor really. Reset the engine adaptations on ista+ thinking that'll do something but made no difference. The car did sit in the garage for 2 years before it was fixed so I syphoned the old gas out the filler cap but I guess the 2nd side of the tank would still have some. I thought maybe old gas clogged the injectors but poured injector cleaner in and ran for 30min which made no different either.

Really appreciate any input. TIA!

SOLUTION: Found out that cyl 2 spark plug had a crack in the ceramic insulation. I replaced it and syarted the car and it stopped misfiring after revving a few times.

Last edited by issabimmer; 10-02-2020 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Did you use the required special tools? https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...shaft/HipcnQuO
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
issabimmer
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Did you use the required special tools? https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...shaft/HipcnQuO
Yes I did. Timing is 100% correct. To rule it out, I already removed the valve cover again and confirmed the timing is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #4
lvevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Evo 9, Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by issabimmer View Post
Yes I did. Timing is 100% correct. To rule it out, I already removed the valve cover again and confirmed the timing is perfect.
Curious to know if you were able to fix the problem?

Thanks,

Sorry saw that you solved it on the first post.