E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > BMWCCA School at Auto Club Speedway Review

09-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
BRO
Oldie Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 Auto Sport Red

BMWCCA School at Auto Club Speedway Review

Wow what a fantastic experience yesterday at the Speedway in Fontana California! Track was excellent, the instructors friendly and helpful. I just bought my first BMW, a 335i, a few months ago and had no idea really what it (and I) were really capable of doing. Boy did I find out in a hurry! I am so impressed with this car! From the 120mph stretches thru the hairpin turns the handling and braking were flawless. And there was power to spare.

Since this was my first time on a track, I am sure there were places where I could have gotten in trouble, but the traction control was there to keep things from getting out of hand. This was very apparant later on the wet skid pad where too much power with DTC would just cause a general drift out of line. When DTC was turned off, the rear end would fly around quite easily! This feature will not make a mediocre driver great, but it will keep him out of trouble and on the track!

I really can't say enough about how great the instructors were, the relaxed freindly atmosphere, and the professional organization. It was the best 1 day vacation I have had in recent memory. Work never entered my mind. I have much more knowledge and confidence in the car and in my ability to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

you're right, it was great. When do we see you next? Autocross? It's ok to drive all the way to San Diego for one of those.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
BRO
Oldie Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 Auto Sport Red

I would like to do some autocross. I have friend up here that does a lot of them in a Scirrocco. But no, SD is not too far to go. Also looking into open track days at various willowy places
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRO View Post
I would like to do some autocross. I have friend up here that does a lot of them in a Scirrocco. But no, SD is not too far to go. Also looking into open track days at various willowy places
See you in SD on the 26th of Oct!

I have had 2 bad experiences this year. If you asked for my advice, I'd recommend you wait for the next BMWCCA event at a big track. Autocross all you want with whomever you want. But, big track... BMWCCA only till you know you're ready.
Appreciate 0