F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Steering Wheel Driving Mode Selector Button Retrofit?
ARMA SPEED

07-25-2020, 10:19 PM   #1
x4runnerGunnerx
Rep
Drives: 2016 F34 335i GT MPPK

I know that I am not the first one to think of this but I have yet to see a report of a successful retrofit.

My idea: add aftermarket M1 & M2 buttons to the blank spots in my steering wheel and run the wires to tap into the switch next to the gear selector. Then the steering whee wires are an extension of that switch and provide the same function of scrolling up or down the driving mode list. Can someone smarter than me tell me why that won't work?

The only potential issue I can see is needing to purchase a left steering wheel module from a car with ACC so that the buttons are functional and then can be swapped for M buttons.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 04:53 AM   #2
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

This will not work because the M3 / M4 has different control units and therefore it cannot be coded for another model.
There are also not more wires on an M3 / M4.
The signals of all buttons from this keypad run over 2 wires and the control unit evaluates these signals.
Appreciate 0