BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-18-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
DZ F30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport

I値l miss the power dome hood

Am I the only one who misses the power dome hood on the M3/M4? I know it's a small detail, but I honestly feel like BMW's getting rid of the hood bulge is kind of a slap in the face to BMW's of the past. Ever since the E46 it's been part of what differentiates the real M cars from the non-M cars, at least from a design perspective.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

The power dome was introduced in the E9x (where it was needed because of the V8), and it was non-functional in the F8x. So hardly Hofmeister-Kink type heritage.

Also, the M2CS got the power dome, so make the math...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 03:19 PM   #3
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
The power dome was introduced in the E9x (where it was needed because of the V8), and it was non-functional in the F8x. So hardly Hofmeister-Kink type heritage.

The power dome was introduced in the E46. Still regardless, I agree with you that it's not that big of a deal. It still gets unique sheet metal so it wasn't a cost cutting measure. It was just an intentional departure.
Appreciate 4
duky1313.00
DZ F30300.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      07-18-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ F30 View Post
Am I the only one who misses the power dome hood on the M3/M4? I know it's a small detail, but I honestly feel like BMW's getting rid of the hood bulge is kind of a slap in the face to BMW's of the past. Ever since the E46 it's been part of what differentiates the real M cars from the non-M cars, at least from a design perspective.
Most of the sheet metal is still unique on the G80 including the hood. I personally thought the powerdome on the E46 was lame. It was a design compromise to fit the intake on the E46 and kinda ruined the organic and clean lines of the E46.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #5
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post

The power dome was introduced in the E46. Still regardless, I agree with you that it's not that big of a deal. It still gets unique sheet metal so it wasn't a cost cutting measure. It was just an intentional departure.
Agreed, but for me the G8X hood has definite American muscle car overtones that don't really sit well with what the M3/4 is meant to be about. It just seems a strange direction to go in.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:45 PM   #6
m34m
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

BMW goes out of its way to ruin brand equity and heritage so why is this a surprise. This is the brand who's foundation was built on things like "telepathic" steering and bespoke M motors. Look at them now. Can't even respect a lousy bulge.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      07-19-2020, 02:22 AM   #7
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Guess what you'll be finding from the M Performance Catalog, and later a different version from something they call the CS.
      07-19-2020, 08:08 AM   #8
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Guess what you'll be finding from the M Performance Catalog, and later a different version from something they call the CS.
I can't wait to see what the G82 looks like fully loaded with M Perf parts. It's going to be a(n expensive) beast

2023 F56 MINI Cooper SE Midnight Black II on Carbon Black
2021 C8 Audi RS6 Avant Mythos Black on Black/Grey
2016 F80 BMW M3 Black Sapphire Metallic on Silverstone
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 11:00 AM   #9
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

The G80\82 are going to have significantly more pronounced "nostrils" in the center of the hood leading into the grills than the 4 series, this will likely be the design element that replaces the "powerdome". So instead of recycling an old element a new take on the same concept of setting the hood apart from the standard series with an aggressive feature
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
solstice5456.50
JustChris17423.00
Nashville1108.00
JTO245246.50
CityLife197.50
      07-19-2020, 05:33 PM   #10
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
The G80\82 are going to have significantly more pronounced "nostrils" in the center of the hood leading into the grills than the 4 series, this will likely be the design element that replaces the "powerdome". So instead of recycling an old element a new take on the same concept of setting the hood apart from the standard series with an aggressive feature
Doesn稚 look like a very good design feature.Looks like an area where water will collect after a good rain.The E46 M3 hood with the power dome was design perfection.
Appreciate 1
DZ F30300.50
      07-19-2020, 05:44 PM   #11
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Doesn't look like a very good design feature.Looks like an area where water will collect after a good rain.The E46 M3 hood with the power dome was design perfection.
Meh, always looked like an afterthought to me... which it actually was because it was needed for engine/hood clearance. I only thought it actually worked as part of the design on the E9X
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2020, 06:22 PM   #12
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Meh, always looked like an afterthought to me... which it actually was because it was needed for engine/hood clearance. I only thought it actually worked as part of the design on the E9X
Everyone has different tastes when it comes to car design.IMO the power dome is proportioned perfectly with the design of the E46 hood.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
greekcs773.00
DZ F30300.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      07-19-2020, 08:47 PM   #13
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Quote:
Everyone has different tastes when it comes to car design.IMO the power dome is proportioned perfectly with the design of the E46 hood.
Fair enough, I certainly can't picture the e46 without it....
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 09:17 PM   #14
Kyler13
Private
Rep
Drives: Undecided

Quote:
Sweet. Now we get power dimples. Maybe the dome will return in 6-7 years if for no other reason than to fit another piece of luggage under the front hood of the electric M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #15
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
The Power Dome was a defining feature for several generations of M3/M4.
I'll miss it for sure but unless it's going to be functional or necessitated from an engineering standpoint (i.e., to clear the intake/plenum) like how it was on the E46 & E9x, I can definitely respect the decision to depart from it.

I personally am a fan of the proportions & fluid design of the E9x M3's Power Dome, and how it's visible from the driver's seat.
But, of course, I'm biased.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      07-20-2020, 04:17 PM   #16
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
The Power Dome was a defining feature for several generations of M3/M4.
I'll miss it for sure but unless it's going to be functional or necessitated from an engineering standpoint (i.e., to clear the intake/plenum) like how it was on the E46 & E9x, I can definitely respect the decision to depart from it.

I personally am a fan of the proportions & fluid design of the E9x M3's Power Dome, and how it's visible from the driver's seat.
But, of course, I'm biased.

Agreed, I liked it on my 2011.5, it honored the feat of being able to shoehorn in that glorious V8 into a 3 series but on my F80 it痴 not something I think of or that I will miss on the G82.
Appreciate 1
Law6377.00
      07-20-2020, 04:52 PM   #17
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Agreed, but for me the G8X hood has definite American muscle car overtones that don't really sit well with what the M3/4 is meant to be about. It just seems a strange direction to go in.
You don't think that's what the power dome was, though? Hood bulges similar to the power dome are a huge part of American muscle. That's why my first reaction to seeing the E46 power dome was distaste. I thought it looked like an afterthought and pointless aesthetics, though later it was found to be functional. We're all used to it now, which is why people are complaining, but I think it would have looked better without it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #18
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
You don't think that's what the power dome was, though? Hood bulges similar to the power dome are a huge part of American muscle. That's why my first reaction to seeing the E46 power dome was distaste. I thought it looked like an afterthought and pointless aesthetics, though later it was found to be functional. We're all used to it now, which is why people are complaining, but I think it would have looked better without it.
Good point - I guess I never thought about that. I relocated to the US in 2003, and knew basically nothing about American Muscle cars before then (other than watching Dukes of Hazard as a kid...my fav show!). Hence when the power some came out on BMWs I never made that connection.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #19
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
On the topic of afterthoughts, not all afterthoughts are created equal.

There's much to dislike and loathe about an afterthought that's due to poor design or cost-cutting but I tend to group the Power Dome in a different category, one that consists of things like fender flares and factory aero pieces on souped up versions of what are otherwise plebeian pedestrian vehicle platforms.

It's these engineering-necessitated afterthoughts that make cars from skunkworks divisions so interesting & adored in terms of their appearance for those who appreciate them.
Not everyone is a fan but the designs are truly form over function.
There's no way to efficiently fit wider wheels & tires on a 'regular' sedan-based chassis without the afterthought of flaring/widening the wheel arches (i.e., many skunkworks cars, M, AMG, you name it.).
There's no way to fit a 4.0 V8 with a volumetrically efficient plenum for the ITBs without bulging the hood (i.e., E9x M3).
There's no way to make that econobox layout have the optimal cooling & aerodynamics without the afterthought of bumpers with large openings and large rear spoilers (i.e., Civic Type-R, Lancer Evo, etc.)

Bespoke platforms/chassis are nice in that they provide a clean sheet design where everything that's there is there for a reason from the beginning. You have less design compromises since the body from the get-go has been designed around the engine that it's going to have, the tire widths that it's projected to have, etc.
You don't see a Ferrari 812 with a bulging hood or fender flares despite its large V12 engine and wide tires precisely because the platform was designed from day one to accommodate for those things.

But modifying a luxury or econobox sedan chassis and turning it into a sports car with a different engine, suspension, etc. is a different challenge altogether.
It's these kinds of afterthoughts that make these types of cars what they are & many enthusiasts of these cars really appreciate the little bits of engineering that go behind them.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 3
solstice5456.50
SeanWRT3179.00
xlover2191.00
      07-20-2020, 06:00 PM   #20
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

There's much to dislike and loathe about an afterthought that's due to poor design or cost-cutting but I tend to group the Power Dome in a different category, one that consists of things like fender flares and factory aero pieces on souped up versions of what are otherwise plebeian pedestrian vehicle platforms.

It's these engineering-necessitated afterthoughts that make cars from skunkworks divisions so interesting & adored in terms of their appearance for those who appreciate them.
There's no way to efficiently fit wider wheels & tires on a 'regular' sedan-based chassis without the afterthought of flaring/widening the wheel arches (i.e., many skunkworks cars, M, AMG, you name it.).
There's no way to fit a 4.0 V8 with a volumetrically efficient plenum for the ITBs without bulging the hood (i.e., E9x M3).
There's no way to make that econobox layout have the optimal cooling & aerodynamics without the afterthought of bumpers with large openings and large rear spoilers (i.e., Civic Type-R, Lancer Evo, etc.)

Bespoke platforms/chassis are nice in that they provide a clean sheet design where everything that's there is there for a reason from the beginning. You have less design compromises since the body from the get-go has been designed around the engine that it's going to have, the tire widths that it's projected to have, etc.
You don't see a Ferrari 812 with a bulging hood or fender flares despite its large V12 engine and wide tires precisely because the platform was designed from day one to accommodate for those things.

But modifying a luxury or econobox sedan chassis and turning it into a sports car with a different engine, suspension, etc. is a different challenge altogether.
It's these kinds of afterthoughts that make these types of cars what they are & many enthusiasts of these cars really appreciate the little bits of engineering that go behind them.
I don't disagree that having an element like the power dome tells a little story about that car. It even makes it more exciting. I love wide fender flares, but I just don't like the power dome. Obviously it's a minority opinion. I loved the styling on the E46 and thought the fender flares, exhaust, and body kit did enough talking. I was never a fan of the fender vents or the power bulge.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #21
1 Duppy
Nightshift
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I'm sure after market hood options will have something that will suit everyone's taste.
Driver Mod and Lead Foot
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #22
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:

Excellent perspective regarding the design and engineering bits difference between afterthought built and ground up built.

I personally wouldn't categorize the power dome and fender flare on the E46/90 into afterthoughts design. The moniker of the vehicle - M3, for example, makes it very clear that it's a M vehicle built from a 3 series platform. It's all about the relativity here and the term "afterthought" is no exception. The 3 series platform is the "sheet", although not remotely as clean, that they started the work with. In this sense, the flares and domes are rather M engineering than afterthoughts, otherwise the entire M thing would be called afterthoughts.

The afterthought is the things missed during engineering process (from the point of the "sheet" or the base you're given on). For example, the low hanging muffler from the F8X M2C/3/4, with which the BMW improvised to lightening emission law and crash safety/damage control.

Afterthoughts can become true icons and traditions. Some of them, along with all other classic design bits, is expected to be carried on generation after generation for no particular engineering reasons, only to serve an identification purpose - the M elements.