BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Driving Assistance Professional

07-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #1
raj914
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Hi all,

So my M340 has every option. The drivers assistance plus and professional packages both allow for almost autopilot like driving. I like the active cruise control as it holds the lane and steers by itself and maintains distance. However, I have a couple reservations.

Is there any way to turn off the timer for how long the car can drive itself and make it unlimited? I hate that every 5 seconds, the yellow lights flash, and then another 10-15 seconds after that, it flashes red lights and will disengage the self-driving.

Also, is there any way to add recognition for traffic lights? If there are cars in front of me at a light, the car will stop and go by itself. However, if I'm the only car approaching the light, the car will keep going unless I stop it myself.

I can post a video demonstrating the self-driving, if needed.

I know these requests are highly improbable and more in line with Tesla, but it'd be amazing if this was possible with coding.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
imported_nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

The yellow lights won't flash if you're on an approved highway and going <40mph.

No way to recognize traffic lights.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
raj914
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_Mike View Post
The yellow lights won't flash if you're on an approved highway and going <40mph.

No way to recognize traffic lights.
So it would work in let's say the city where speed limits are usually 35 all over, but on an interstate highway, I'd have to constantly keep touching the steering wheel every 10 seconds to reset the timer. That's really annoying. BMW could've made that a lot better!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj914 View Post
I hate that every 5 seconds, the yellow lights flash, and then another 10-15 seconds after that, it flashes red lights and will disengage the self-driving.
Can't help you with duration of the self-driving but you can switch the annoying flashing LEDs off in settings.
Quote:
I'd have to constantly keep touching the steering wheel every 10 seconds to reset the timer. That's really annoying. BMW could've made that a lot better!
You got about 25 seconds before it disengages.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #5
dchar
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C300

I think you may be misunderstanding the drivers' assistance system in cars. None of the systems available in any car are truly autonomous that allows for true no-hands driving. The systems in the BMW Drivers' Assist Professional is only Level 2 out of 5 which means the car requires driver engagement and intervention with partial driving automation. The BMW does not have enough sensors to allow any coding to allow for less engagement that is already programmed in the system; it would be dangerous to do so. The reason why you are getting the flashing yellow and red lights in the steering wheel is because the car detects that you are not engaging enough in the driving process. The least you can do is rest your hand on the wheel while using ACC.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:59 PM   #6
Deltusurf
United_States
Rep
Drives: Arctic White 650i, 2020 M340i

Garage List
2013 BMW 650i  [0.00]
I read a post somewhere that someone used a hair clip to imitate your hand on the wheel. I don't use it, don't think it's a good idea... in theory, it may work.
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 05:40 PM   #7
newway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M SPORT

Quote:
Hi all,
Is there any way to turn off the timer for how long the car can drive itself and make it unlimited? I hate that every 5 seconds, the yellow lights flash, and then another 10-15 seconds after that, it flashes red lights and will disengage the self-driving.

Thanks
Let me guess, your hands are off the steering wheel? In many counties it is required by law to have hands on the wheel so bmw disable drive assist when you don’t put hands on the wheel.

Like others have mentioned, it can be fooled, e,g sometimes I use my tight to put pressure on the wheel.
Appreciate 0