07-09-2020, 12:29 AM   #1
bmwg05
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Rattling when lowering air suspension VIDEO uploaded

Hello Everyone
I got 2019 G05, Has happened a few times when I lowered air suspension from the medium level to the lowest level and rear wheel keep calttering like a rattling noise. This sounds more like a metal knocking, but not all the time, It often happens when the first time lowered suspension after drove for a while but I raise or lower right after the sound will not appear. The vehicle engine is on in parking mode with Auto Start Stop Function on and AUTO H on as well.

Parked at drive way, not that flat but Definitely not big downhill, pretty sure the sound is not like compressor operating, I tried to turn off AUTO H function , the sound seemed to disappear, just curious can't operating air suspension when AUTO H is on ?

Kindly asking anyone has same issue incase dealer going to be advised me that normal but seems defect to me

[u2b]
[/u2b]

Last edited by bmwg05; 07-09-2020 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
G050i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05) 50i w/ M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwg05 View Post
Hello Everyone
I got 2019 G05, Has happened a few times when I lowered air suspension from the medium level to the lowest level and rear wheel keep calttering like a rattling noise. This sounds more like a metal knocking, but not all the time, It often happens when the first time lowered suspension after drove for a while but I raise or lower right after the sound will not appear. The vehicle engine is on in parking mode with Auto Start Stop Function on and AUTO H on as well.

Parked at drive way, not that flat but Definitely not big downhill, pretty sure the sound is not like compressor operating, I tried to turn off AUTO H function , the sound seemed to disappear, just curious can't operating air suspension when AUTO H is on ?

Kindly asking anyone has same issue incase dealer going to be advised me that normal but seems defect to me

[u2b]
[/u2b]
I'm no expert but that certainly is NOT normal. I have air suspension as well and I've had the car for a year now. Never ever heard my car do anything of that sorts. I would be shocked if you brought it in and they tell you "it's normal". Definitely get it checked out. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
bmwg05
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G050i View Post
I'm no expert but that certainly is NOT normal. I have air suspension as well and I've had the car for a year now. Never ever heard my car do anything of that sorts. I would be shocked if you brought it in and they tell you "it's normal". Definitely get it checked out. Good luck!
Thx, I will definitely bring it back, hope not big issue.
I thought could be AUTO H on caused the issue while realized car is in parked, AUTO H doesn't do anything at this moment.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #4
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Hello Everyone

It's likely the clamping pressure of the brakes calipers on the disc rotors that's creaking as weight of the vehicle is being redistributed while the air suspension is lowering in the back.

When air suspension is lowering your X5, it lowers the front first and then the rear. It reverses the process when raising.

When you're in park or auto hold is enabled or your foot is on the break, the car will sometimes make that sound while the suspension is raising or lowering. I've heard it once while sitting in the X5, but the sound was deadened.

If you're still concerned, have it checked out.

SAS groans and creaks when raising/lowering
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...owering.77840/

Last edited by Auricom; 07-09-2020 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:54 PM   #5
bmwg05
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
It's likely the clamping pressure of the brakes calipers on the disc rotors that's creaking as weight of the vehicle is being redistributed while the air suspension is lowering in the back.

When air suspension is lowering your X5, it lowers the front first and then the rear. It reverses the process when raising.

When you're in park or auto hold is enabled or your foot is on the break, the car will sometimes make that sound while the suspension is raising or lowering. I've heard it once while sitting in the X5, but the sound was deadened.

Thank you so much, was really helpful.
I always parked and drop my suspension and most of time AUTO H is enabled and that's why the noise keep coming, but foot is not on the break since it's in parking mode.

I guess i have to turn off AUTO H to eliminate the issue, just wondering has always been this sound recently, it won't do any damage to the brake or rotor ?

Thanks your info again !
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 01:58 AM   #6
Gtz1wickedest
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:

I always parked and drop my suspension and most of time AUTO H is enabled and that's why the noise keep coming, but foot is not on the break since it's in parking mode.

I guess i have to turn off AUTO H to eliminate the issue, just wondering has always been this sound recently, it won't do any damage to the brake or rotor ?

Thanks your info again !
Same issue with me I thought it was broken but auto hold or if you step on the brake while lowering it makes that exact noise
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks your info again !
With AUTO H, the brakes are engaged enough to keep you stopped but light enough to quickly let off when you press the accelerator.

I wouldn't worry to much about it in damaging the brake or rotors or disabling AUTO H when needed.

Lowering takes about 7 seconds from Normal to Sport and 17-19 from Normal to Load level. In most cases you're lowering when you're in Park or while driving.

There's more pressure braking (depending on speed) coming to a stop than transferring load weight vertically at standstill.

Last edited by Auricom; 07-10-2020 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
bmwg05
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtz1wickedest View Post
Same issue with me I thought it was broken but auto hold or if you step on the brake while lowering it makes that exact noise
I thought it too
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:20 PM   #9
bmwg05
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
With AUTO H, the brakes are engage enough to keep you stopped but light enough to quickly let off when you press the accelerator.

I wouldn't worry to much about it in damaging the brake or rotors or disabling AUTO H when needed.

Lowering takes about 7 seconds from Normal to Sport and 17-19 from Normal to Load level. In most cases you're lowering when you're in Park or while driving.

There's more pressure braking (depending on speed) coming to a stop than transferring load weight vertically at standstill.
Thank you again, really appreciated !
it's happens to the front wheel as well when I raising the suspension, but obviously the noise come from the back wheels are more intense when lowering compare to raising.
May I ask regard this sound is normal, why does it appear occasionally, No matter what I do, the sound disappears after appearing once for a while.

Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #10
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Try lowering the vehicle with no parking brake, no brakes applied, etc. Sounds like brake pads skipping on the rotors as it shifts slightly.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4360.00
      07-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #11
bmwg05
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Try lowering the vehicle with no parking brake, no brakes applied, etc. Sounds like brake pads skipping on the rotors as it shifts slightly.
you mean Auto H right
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 05:30 AM   #12
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Quote:
you mean Auto H right
Perhaps..... or the parking brake.... or just holding the brake pedal while lowering. Any of those could cause the pads to slip like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #13
bmwg05
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Perhaps..... or the parking brake.... or just holding the brake pedal while lowering. Any of those could cause the pads to slip like that.
thx again
Appreciate 0