Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin iDrive brake pad info

07-06-2020, 01:22 PM   #1
Eriphill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

iDrive brake pad info

In the iDrive when I check the remaining life on the break pads for my '17 340i it says something like 9,000 miles remaining, but when I took it in for service they said I need to get the breaks done now. Anyone know how reliable the iDrive sensor is? Is it even an actual sensor or is it just an estimate?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriphill View Post
In the iDrive when I check the remaining life on the break pads for my '17 340i it says something like 9,000 miles remaining, but when I took it in for service they said I need to get the breaks done now. Anyone know how reliable the iDrive sensor is? Is it even an actual sensor or is it just an estimate?
I think it's a combination of both a sensor and working out how much you drive etc which is the condition based service program.

How many miles have you done? Do you drive her hard? I think BMW advise 50,000 miles to change the pads on average but if the car is driven hard then that'll change.

It does seem quite far out if they do need replacing. Might be worth a second opinion.

One of my friends works for Audi in the service dept and they say 'pads are 80% worn' to punters to get them to change them when actually there are at least 2000 miles of pad left.

I've never found the iDrive to be massively out vs service guys. But doesn't mean it's correct.
Eriphill2563.50
      07-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #3
Eriphill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by del82 View Post
I think it's a combination of both a sensor and working out how much you drive etc which is the condition based service program.

How many miles have you done? Do you drive her hard? I think BMW advise 50,000 miles to change the pads on average but if the car is driven hard then that'll change.

It does seem quite far out if they do need replacing. Might be worth a second opinion.

One of my friends works for Audi in the service dept and they say 'pads are 80% worn' to punters to get them to change them when actually there are at least 2000 miles of pad left.

I've never found the iDrive to be massively out vs service guys. But doesn't mean it's correct.
The car currently has 27000 miles on it. iDrive is saying 9000 miles for the rears and 5600 miles in the front. The first couple years I had it I drove it pretty hard, but have since relaxed...somewhat haha

Last edited by Eriphill; 07-06-2020 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriphill View Post
Should be able to easily tell by yourself by just taking a look thru the rims, you should be able to easily see the pad touching the rotor, from the rotor to the first metal part after the pad is how much pad you have left, in order to know if you need rotors as well just feel them with your finger (make sure car has cooled off) if you feel a lip at the edge you probably need rotors if there's no lip rotors are good unless you see major grooves or discoloration/contamination..