F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust Vibration with Active Autowerke Muffler
GetBMWParts

07-04-2020, 10:44 PM   #1
trentr98
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i X-Drive Sport

Exhaust Vibration with Active Autowerke Muffler

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem with my recent Active Autowerke muffler installation. Although it sounds nice, it has introduced a new vibration in the 2000-2800 RPM range. It's as if the whole car is buzzing, and I feel like it's making all of the car's small rattles get even worse. Is there anything that I may have done wrong while installing it? It's an N20 X-Drive and I used an exhaust clamp as opposed to welding. The vibration is non existent at RPMs above 3000. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 02:01 AM   #2
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
I had a similar issue with my muffler delete, midpipe was hanging too low and hitting the chassis brace under certain rpm’s, Switched to the AA exhaust and it fit like a glove and no more rattling. What i think it is you’re feeling is the drone which is minimal compared to a muffler delete, and is actually enjoyable since it just fives the exhaust note a little beefier note.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2020, 07:19 PM   #3
kahnfucious
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i - M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
I had a similar issue with my muffler delete, midpipe was hanging too low and hitting the chassis brace under certain rpm’s, Switched to the AA exhaust and it fit like a glove and no more rattling. What i think it is you’re feeling is the drone which is minimal compared to a muffler delete, and is actually enjoyable since it just fives the exhaust note a little beefier note.
What you are describing does sound like exhaust drone. However - the rev range you are describing seems a bit higher than where I have gotten it:

A few questions:
- Is your car automatic or manual?
- if auto - try moving from sport mode to comfort / eco.

Do you see a change

Lastly - a clamp vs welding is no issue - double check the clamp. There isn't that much you can screw up though with the AA exhaust. Here is my install video for the 335 dual exhaust on my 328

Appreciate 1
      07-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
trentr98
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i X-Drive Sport

thanks for the input! My car is an automatic and changing the modes makes no difference. Most of the vibration is either while on gas semi hard or off gas completely. Giving a very slight amount of gas (just so that there is no engine breaking) makes the vibration mostly go away.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 12:46 AM   #5
kahnfucious
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i - M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentr98 View Post
thanks for the input! My car is an automatic and changing the modes makes no difference. Most of the vibration is either while on gas semi hard or off gas completely. Giving a very slight amount of gas (just so that there is no engine breaking) makes the vibration mostly go away.
I would jump back under the car and just double check the exhaust hanger bracket - 13mm nut, ensure the AA exhaust is properly seated In the rubber hanger completely, make sure everything is hanging level and nothing is touching the bottom of the car. it does unfortunately sound like exhaust drone and resonance.

I did two things to resolve this on my car:
1) Added some extra sound deadening
2) installed the stock exhaust valve in the AA exhaust

Both of those videos are on my channel.

Good luck
Appreciate 2