E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Finding Daten files

07-01-2020, 09:38 AM   #1
SwedishWoodChopper
SwedishWoodChopper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i N54

Question Finding Daten files

Alright, so I'm going to assume this topic has already been beaten to death and I'm just here to kick the dead horse, but I've exhausted every lead and search trying to find answers and files.

First mistake, I recently procured all the BMW coding tools, INPA, ISTA+, WinKFP, NCSExpert, etc., but here's the thing, I don't have any Daten files, like none, got my software from bimmergeeks.net, the whole package, they even have a SP-Daten file link to a mega site repository that looks like daten files, but I don't think they're working or the correct files. I could be completely wrong and may be just wasting everyone's time with this thread, but I don't know where else to turn to. So I guess what I'm trying to find is a set of reliable daten files for WinKFP so I can go thru and update them and use WinKFP. Yes, I unfortunately need to use WinKFP, it's my FRM module, which I read about on here plenty of times, but I'm stuck at this sole obstacle. Can anyone with a decent working knowledge of all the programming software point me in the right direction of where to get a set of SP-Daten files? And also how to set them up for use in WinKFP? I apologize for all the troubles, but I'm stuck and have no one I can rely on other than myself.

My second mistake is being a DIY bimmer owner, but not really, I love working on my car and driving it even more, I find myself learning more and more and more every time I open the tool box. That's why we're all here though, right?

Thank you all and sorry for beating the dead horse.

P.s. The answer is, Yes, I have in fact looked at older forums and threads with links to daten files, but I either get dead links (because the post is too old) or the mega site link, prefer not to use the mega site link as I've tried and failed several time to procure the daten files from there.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #2
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishWoodChopper View Post
Alright, so I'm going to assume this topic has already been beaten to death and I'm just here to kick the dead horse, but I've exhausted every lead and search trying to find answers and files.

First mistake, I recently procured all the BMW coding tools, INPA, ISTA+, WinKFP, NCSExpert, etc., but here's the thing, I don't have any Daten files, like none, got my software from bimmergeeks.net, the whole package, they even have a SP-Daten file link to a mega site repository that looks like daten files, but I don't think they're working or the correct files. I could be completely wrong and may be just wasting everyone's time with this thread, but I don't know where else to turn to. So I guess what I'm trying to find is a set of reliable daten files for WinKFP so I can go thru and update them and use WinKFP. Yes, I unfortunately need to use WinKFP, it's my FRM module, which I read about on here plenty of times, but I'm stuck at this sole obstacle. Can anyone with a decent working knowledge of all the programming software point me in the right direction of where to get a set of SP-Daten files? And also how to set them up for use in WinKFP? I apologize for all the troubles, but I'm stuck and have no one I can rely on other than myself.

My second mistake is being a DIY bimmer owner, but not really, I love working on my car and driving it even more, I find myself learning more and more and more every time I open the tool box. That's why we're all here though, right?

Thank you all and sorry for beating the dead horse.

P.s. The answer is, Yes, I have in fact looked at older forums and threads with links to daten files, but I either get dead links (because the post is too old) or the mega site link, prefer not to use the mega site link as I've tried and failed several time to procure the daten files from there.

Not sure what you're doing wrong but everything on BG is correct and works flawlessly, datens and Standard Tools. Follow the install instructions to the letter and you should be fine. If you need help you can PM me.
      07-01-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Bimmergeeks daten files are 100% completely fine. If you cannot open winkfp and get an error you didn't import the daten files. You need to use bmw coding tool to import the daten files for your car. Google bmw coding tool how to import daten files and you'll find detailed walkthroughs. Secondly, what are your frm issues? If your frm is faulty then it wouldn't work, meaning your windows, mirrors, turn signals etc wouldn't work and flashing the frm with winkfp wouldn't be possible because the module is dead.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 01:03 PM   #4
SwedishWoodChopper
SwedishWoodChopper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Not sure what you're doing wrong but everything on BG is correct and works flawlessly, datens and Standard Tools. Follow the install instructions to the letter and you should be fine. If you need help you can PM me.
Thank you, I'll go thru it again when I'm home later and make sure I follow the instructions dead nuts. I appreciate you letting me PM if I have any issues, one of the many reason I love this community. Cheers!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
SwedishWoodChopper
SwedishWoodChopper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Bimmergeeks daten files are 100% completely fine. If you cannot open winkfp and get an error you didn't import the daten files. You need to use bmw coding tool to import the daten files for your car. Google bmw coding tool how to import daten files and you'll find detailed walkthroughs. Secondly, what are your frm issues? If your frm is faulty then it wouldn't work, meaning your windows, mirrors, turn signals etc wouldn't work and flashing the frm with winkfp wouldn't be possible because the module is dead.
My FRM is not dead, but is definitely on it's way out, I lost central locking, mirrors, rear windows, gauges, and went into limp mode, threw some electrical malfunction codes, and everything I can find that's close is the FRM, so I'm going to swap in a new one and need WinKFP to code the new module. Sorry I should have elaborated more in my initial post. But thank you for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 01:08 PM   #6
J0K3R5
Lieutenant
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: BMW

07-01-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishWoodChopper View Post
Quote:
My FRM is not dead, but is definitely on it's way out, I lost central locking, mirrors, rear windows, gauges, and went into limp mode, threw some electrical malfunction codes, and everything I can find that's close is the FRM, so I'm going to swap in a new one and need WinKFP to code the new module. Sorry I should have elaborated more in my initial post. But thank you for the reply.
Doesn't sound like the frm to me, scan the car and do proper diagnosis before you start replacing things. I've never heard of symptoms of an frm failing prior to it failing meaning it either works or it doesn't and when it doesn't it actually fails. People think that there are symptoms but they're coincidental meaning they'll get a bulb out warning and when they go to clear it, clearing the codes in frm makes the frm fail not the bulb out warning if that makes sense. The only time I've seen buggy frm3's is coding not staying, the way to remedy that is to update software on frm but I've never seen a scenario of an frm working but displaying symptoms like you have. It sounds like the jbe may be on its way out or another electrical component in the car. You also don't need to flash the frm module when you replace it. Only write Vo to it and code it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #8
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Depending on the yr and mileage of your car, there's a known fault in the FRM3 the BMW will replace under a extended warranty. I've coded a couple guys and have had the module go out with symptoms that you describe. BMW replaced it no charge
      07-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #9
SwedishWoodChopper
SwedishWoodChopper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Doesn't sound like the frm to me, scan the car and do proper diagnosis before you start replacing things. I've never heard of symptoms of an frm failing prior to it failing meaning it either works or it doesn't and when it doesn't it actually fails. People think that there are symptoms but they're coincidental meaning they'll get a bulb out warning and when they go to clear it, clearing the codes in frm makes the frm fail not the bulb out warning if that makes sense. The only time I've seen buggy frm3's is coding not staying, the way to remedy that is to update software on frm but I've been seen a scenario of an frm working hit displaying symptoms like you have. It sounds like the jbe may be on its way out or another electrical component in the car. You also don't need to flash the frm module when you replace it. Only write Vo to it and code it.
I haven't gotten a chance to look over it in ISTA yet, I was planning on doing that this weekend, but you definitely bring up some very interesting points, I'll have to check to see what error codes are stored in the memory. I was looking at the electrical system schematic trying to make sense of it, the FRM and KOMBI (which controls the gauge cluster, which went out completely) seem to be interlinked, I know there's a gauge cluster harness that plugs into the physical FRM, so I had a strong suspicion that may be it, but after hearing you say the FRM will just die, I'm now wondering if it is the JBE. I can't tell if the JBE feeds into the FRM and KOMBI, or vise versa. I appreciate your outside view though, it helps me see things I might not be focusing on, or focusing too much on.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #10
SwedishWoodChopper
SwedishWoodChopper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Depending on the yr and mileage of your car, there's a known fault in the FRM3 the BMW will replace under a extended warranty. I've coded a couple guys and have had the module go out with symptoms that you describe. BMW replaced it no charge
Unfortunately I fall outside of that warranty, my mileage is under 156,000, but I have a 2008. Thank you for the heads up though.
Appreciate 0