E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Pressing the boot button twice on an E91

09-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Pressing the boot button twice on an E91

I think a few of us ex-Audi drivers think the idea of unlocking the car to open the boot via the key a bit stupid....well i do anyway...but this is even better (i think)

Why is it when you press the key twice in an e91, the first press opens the boot and the 2nd makes the cover retract..and not in a good way...it retracts such that it block your rear view?

The only reason i can think of is to gain access to the back of the car through the glass opening bit. But seriously - does anyone ever just open the glass bit? And the boot is already open anyway...so what is the point?

I'm hoping i've missed something (AGAIN) and there's a really good explanation for this 'feature' on the e91....all help welcomed!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think I am right here. Open the glass and the luggage cover lifts to gain access automatically. Open the tailgate and nothing happens to the cover unless moved manually. Sounds like hitting the tailgate button unlatches the tailgate, pressing again lifts the cover automatically for easy access.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
^^ that my interpretation of it......... one press = boot open, 2 presses = glass latch / cover in preperation for you going in via the glass. Same is if you were to opne the glass without previously pressing the boot button.

But, having only owned my E91 for a couple of weeks I've been caught out, and when I've plonked my arse into the seat and set about reversing I come to realise that the cover has shot up and blocked my view!

2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

The remote for the boot is truly gash but I'll admit I do just lift the glass all the time - no need to bend down and its as light as a feather.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
The remote for the boot is truly gash but I'll admit I do just lift the glass all the time - no need to bend down and its as light as a feather.

True, but I doubt my bike will go through the glass section, so I kinda have to left that heavy-as-**** boot !

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
networkguy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D SE Touring

Garage List
But if your are opening the tailgate then most of the time you are going to want to move the cover anyway. Besides it actually serves 2 purposes. The way it is designed is so that it protects the rear seat occupants from the rain whilst the boot is open.

But why mess about with 2 presses? You can just hold the release button on the key fob down and the boot and cover will open together.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 04:30 AM   #7
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixDegrees View Post
^^ that my interpretation of it......... one press = boot open, 2 presses = glass latch / cover in preperation for you going in via the glass. Same is if you were to opne the glass without previously pressing the boot button.

But, having only owned my E91 for a couple of weeks I've been caught out, and when I've plonked my arse into the seat and set about reversing I come to realise that the cover has shot up and blocked my view!

Yeh i guess that's why i've found it 'stupid' - because its came up and blocked my view when reversing, without me meaning to.

(still can't figure out multi-quoting on here easily)

I guess the fact that it protects the rear passengers from the rain is a good feature. But i don't often move it out the way for access to the boot. I'm putting in golf clubs at most at the moment at they just slide in (i got one of those plastic trays off ebay)

Okay so you go in via the glass panel at the back with the cover up. Then you close the glass panel and your rear view is blocked so you have to open the boot anyway and pull the cover back into position?
I still don't get it!
If the cover came back into the position automatically when you started the car or something clever like that....THEN i would think...yeh great feature. But as it is...it's not doing it for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
agh!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 320d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
Okay so you go in via the glass panel at the back with the cover up. Then you close the glass panel and your rear view is blocked so you have to open the boot anyway and pull the cover back into position?
I still don't get it!
No of course not. You can pull the cover back down into position throught the glass hatch opening.
Monday to Friday I'm accessing the boot to put a computer bag in through the glass hatch window. At weekends the whole boot lid is opened for push chairs etc.
I really do like having the glass hatch feature and only occasionally forget to pull the cover back down.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

When you think about it (and I have, because I have the same annoyance as you!) the cover lifting up is the only (reasonably) they could make the cover automatically lift.

You try putting something in the boot with the cover closed and you'll be glad you can lift it with the key, or by pressing the latch on the handle twice.

I use the glass all the time.

Like you, I still forget to put the cover down probably once or twice a month, it is a pain.

AND another thing, why does the removable luggage cover have to be so flipping big? It uses up about 3"-4" of the height of the boot. The dog guard doofer is "cool" but it hardly gets used, and has anyone ever put the luggage cover in the clips in the back seats and used it like that?

Oh, while I'm on about Touring specific things, why oh why oh why does the rear wash wipe not work with the intermittent fronts?
      09-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
The Dog Doofer is a cargo net to stop 'stuff' flying thru to the front and traking yer head clean off!!!

Might work as a dog doffer when lifted in the rear position but wen inserted into the solts when seats are down there are 2 large gaps either side which said doggies will get through.... unless it a big dog!

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
agh!
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The Dog Doofer is a cargo net to stop 'stuff' flying thru to the front and traking yer head clean off!!!
Exactly and after a few months of ownership I realised that I was loading the boot often enough for it to be a pain putting the partition net up and down all the time so have it up permanently now.
I've got used to loking through the mesh in the rear view mirror, doesn't distract me at all now.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 03:10 AM   #12
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Sorry i still don't get the boot button on the key fob.

Okay i now understand that its handy to have the glass opening and that when you open the glass the cover automatically retracts in the up position and then you pull it back down before you shut the glass, so that its not blocking your rear views. That's actually pretty cool. I used it this morning and think i'll be using it again. Nice. But you don't use the keyfob (apart from unlocking) for this.

i.e if you want to use the glass opening, you can't use the buttons on the fob as the whole boot opens with first press and only on 2nd press (or keep pressing) does the cover retract into the up position. But you've now committed yourself to opening the boot anyway. And considering how hard you have to slam the boot shut to get it to close properly you do actually have to push it shut. A way round this would have been to have the boot shut itself if you locked the car or put it in gear like some mercs etc.

Anyway it's Friday and i'll try to not let it bother me anymore lol and instead worry about where i'm going drinking tonight
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 04:02 AM   #13
agh!
Private First Class
Rep

I think your right, the key fob boot opening button is a bit of a gimmick really and I have very rarely actually used it in the 40K miles and 34 months of owning my E91.
I think it's a case of, we're building a "premium" car what cool little features can we add that you don't find on a Ford, Vauxhall etc. (that have probably been added to Ford / Vauxhall by now).
The middle key fob "door locking" button closing all the electric windows is pretty handy though, and so long as you don't have sun blinds stuck on the windows, pressing the door lock open button a second time (and holding it) and having all the windows open is handy to get air through the car before you get in on a hot day.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 04:15 AM   #14
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agh! View Post
The middle key fob "door locking" button closing all the electric windows is pretty handy though, and so long as you don't have sun blinds stuck on the windows, pressing the door lock open button a second time (and holding it) and having all the windows open is handy to get air through the car before you get in on a hot day.
Nice feature - but it was on my 2001 S3*, so i don't see it as THAT special.

Still i love the car when i'm driving it so much so that i've washed it twice already in under a month. The S3 got washed twice in 3 years by me!

*mustn't mention boot button that worked when car was locked....doh!! lol
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 04:59 AM   #15
networkguy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D SE Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Nice feature - but it was on my 2001 S3*, so i don't see it as THAT special.
Not to mention the whole windows up/down . boot release etc was on my last MONDEO! and my Volvo before that.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 05:08 AM   #16
agh!
Private First Class
Rep

Had my previous car for nearly 7 years so missed the arrival of all these new little features everyone is building in
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 06:13 AM   #17
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Quote:

Might work as a dog doffer when lifted in the rear position but wen inserted into the solts when seats are down there are 2 large gaps either side which said doggies will get through.... unless it a big dog!

Yes, I know what it's for, but.... Oh never mind....

Quote:
Sorry i still don't get the boot button on the key fob.
Ok, I get you. I NEVER use it, I agree, it's pointless.