BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Anyone have issues with auto highbeam assist?

06-23-2020, 05:57 AM   #1
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Anyone have issues with auto highbeam assist?

Whenever I turn on the auto-highbeams during my early morning commute the system turns itself off after 5-10 seconds. Nobody else is on the road and it completely disables itself with the dash light turning off as well. When I try to turn it back on it might stay on for another 10 seconds but most times it disables after a couple seconds. During my service the dealer claimed that it was a faulty light switch in the dash and ordered a replacement which needs to come over from Germany and is currently backordered.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

In my experience, it depends upon the exterior lighting. At night, it works fine. But during the day it turns off if you are on auto. Not a problem for me. But it might be for you if you are driving in the early morning time between night and day.

If you take it off auto, it should work.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #3
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
In my experience, it depends upon the exterior lighting. At night, it works fine. But during the day it turns off if you are on auto. Not a problem for me. But it might be for you if you are driving in the early morning time between night and day.

If you take it off auto, it should work.

From November 2018 to the last couple months it worked fine and I haven't touched the headlight switch since I bought the car leaving it on auto. I would press the stalk button and the system turned on and disabled the high beams as expected when a car was detected and then re-enable them when it went past. It wouldn't totally turn the system off at random. Really doesn't make sense to me that the dealer says it's the headlight switch causing such a problem. Also, I'm confused, why are you using auto high beams during the daytime?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
From November 2018 to the last couple months it worked fine and I haven't touched the headlight switch since I bought the car leaving it on auto. I would press the stalk button and the system turned on and disabled the high beams as expected when a car was detected and then re-enable them when it went past. It wouldn't totally turn the system off at random. Really doesn't make sense to me that the dealer says it's the headlight switch causing such a problem. Also, I'm confused, why are you using auto high beams during the daytime?
I leave my car set with the auto high beam setting. The lights don't go on during the day and I don't have to remember to turn on the lights at dusk. works perfectly for me.

I do have to remember to press the stalk for full functionality at night which is a bit of a pain to remember.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:15 AM   #5
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I leave my car set with the auto high beam setting. The lights don't go on during the day and I don't have to remember to turn on the lights at dusk. works perfectly for me.

I do have to remember to press the stalk for full functionality at night which is a bit of a pain to remember.

Ah, ok, the switch to the left of the steering wheel isn't for high beam assist. This is what the button on the stalk is for. Switch only operates auto low beams.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 04:23 PM   #6
macmaw
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

I don’t think high beam assist will work if it’s not dark enough outside, even if low beams are on at the time.
Might work if low beans are manually on, but I leave my headlight switch in auto so haven’t tested that theory.
All I know is my low beams will activate automatically when it’s still too light for high beam assist to work.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #7
G30 545e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 545e G30

The BMW LED adaptive auto high beam lights are a pain IMO. When travelling on the motorway/freeway/highway with the auto high beam on I am constantly getting flashed by lorry drivers. The motorways here in Ireland have a 1.5 metre high concrete divider between oncoming traffic. The adaptive lights don't affect oncoming cars as they can't see my lights because of the barriers (unless they are a good distance away) but lorry drivers can see my lights because they sit high up in their cabs.

Would anyone have a solution for this?
Appreciate 1
CnSky330.00
      06-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #8
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 View Post
The BMW LED adaptive auto high beam lights are a pain IMO. When travelling on the motorway/freeway/highway with the auto high beam on I am constantly getting flashed by lorry drivers. The motorways here in Ireland have a 1.5 metre high concrete divider between oncoming traffic. The adaptive lights don't affect oncoming cars as they can't see my lights because of the barriers (unless they are a good distance away) but lorry drivers can see my lights because they sit high up in their cabs.

Would anyone have a solution for this?
The only solution in that case would be manually activating and deactivating the high beans as normal.

It works well for me in the US, but that doesn't help you at all.
Appreciate 0