F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N26 Downpipe regret
Studio RSR

06-21-2020, 05:57 AM   #1
f30hobbes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [8.50]
N26 Downpipe regret

Hey guys!

I recently installed a VRSF Catless downpipe and bm3 stage 1 on my 2016 328i n26. My initial impressions of the tune paired with downpipe is that it pulls much better and power is a lot more accessible. However, one of the problems that I should have thought about more is issues with service/warranty.
I purchased the vehicle August of 2019 as CPO and got the extended warranty till mid 2021. I realize it was a dumb mistake in the first place to purchase a downpipe and bm3 with warranty in mind. I'm paired to a 335i exhaust and on cold start it is too loud for my taste and the option to turn cold start off in bm3 gave me idle issues.
I've recently regretted purchasing the downpipe because even if I reflash my car to stock, the downpipe would still throw a CEL when I go into service and I'm worried my car would be flagged if any issues were to arise in the future. What are your guys thoughts? Should I remove the Catless downpipe? All thoughts are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Totally up to you. I chose to effectively "void" my CPO warranty with mods because the dealers around me will do anything to snake their way out of coverage anyway, so it basically was worthless to me regardless. Talk to your service advisor about modifications though, some are much more willing to work with you than others.

Talk to PTF about your cold start issue, they'll make you a custom map to smooth it out. If you're still super concerned about your warranty though, your best option is to go back to stock DP so you can flash to stock and have a car that, to the dealer, is bone stock everytime it goes in for service.
      06-21-2020, 08:05 AM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostho View Post
Hey guys!

I recently installed a VRSF Catless downpipe and bm3 stage 1 on my 2016 328i n26. My initial impressions of the tune paired with downpipe is that it pulls much better and power is a lot more accessible. However, one of the problems that I should have thought about more is issues with service/warranty.
I purchased the vehicle August of 2019 as CPO and got the extended warranty till mid 2021. I realize it was a dumb mistake in the first place to purchase a downpipe and bm3 with warranty in mind. I'm paired to a 335i exhaust and on cold start it is too loud for my taste and the option to turn cold start off in bm3 gave me idle issues.
I've recently regretted purchasing the downpipe because even if I reflash my car to stock, the downpipe would still throw a CEL when I go into service and I'm worried my car would be flagged if any issues were to arise in the future. What are your guys thoughts? Should I remove the Catless downpipe? All thoughts are welcome.
When I read your headline I thought that you might say that you hate the gasoline smell from catless. No need for catless DP with BootMod3 Stage1 so go back to stock catted DP or get a free flow catted downpipe that guarantees no cell, especially if you are inclined to go to BootMod3 Stage2 in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 12:05 AM   #4
kahnfucious
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i - M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostho View Post
Hey guys!

This is the exact reason I have not installed a flash tune on my car or a downpipe or other real performance mods.

With the N26 SULEV warranty - 15 yr /150k miles it really makes it not very compelling to me to make any performance modifications at all.

Fun car to drive mostly stock, not the quickest but not the slowest, very comfortable.

If you like modding cars - best to buy older cars with no warranty and take the extra dollars saved vs a CPO and put it into an interest bearing account to cover issues that might arise.

There's kind of no point in getting a CPO car if you are going to just void out the warranty...that warranty certificate wasn't free - you paid for it .

Someone is going to quote magnuson moss etc...yeah good luck with that.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 12:57 PM   #5
ak7500
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnfucious View Post
This is the exact reason I have not installed a flash tune on my car or a downpipe or other real performance mods.

With the N26 SULEV warranty - 15 yr /150k miles it really makes it not very compelling to me to make any performance modifications at all.

Fun car to drive mostly stock, not the quickest but not the slowest, very comfortable.

If you like modding cars - best to buy older cars with no warranty and take the extra dollars saved vs a CPO and put it into an interest bearing account to cover issues that might arise.

There's kind of no point in getting a CPO car if you are going to just void out the warranty...that warranty certificate wasn't free - you paid for it .

Someone is going to quote magnuson moss etc...yeah good luck with that.

The 15y / 150,000 mile warranty is an absolute blessing (I just found about that recently haha)

But wouldn't it depend on how much OP's trying to mod the car? Because if just speaking in regards to a catless downpipe and bm3, can't you just put the stock dp on and go back to stock and get the service done?

I know it would be annoying if you're constantly going to the dealer, but if you only go once in a blue moon might not be completely unreasonable.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #6
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

Flash the stock tune with cold start turned off and the check for the rear o2 sensor. Quiet start up and "stock" if you will. If you have idle issues then make the "cold start idle" at 800 rpm. Should do the trick.
IG + YT: Sqwin_n20
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi GT (F34/N20)

Has anyone found a catted downpipe that is guaranteed not to throw a CEL because I would definitely be interested...
Appreciate 0