BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-20-2020, 05:04 AM   #1
t4ure4n
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 xdrive 20d

I want to change the tyres on my 2016 X3 MSport as the current tread depth is around 3.5-4 mm on all tyres and MOT is due in September.

Can someone please advise me if I should stick with the Pirelli P Zero or try a different brand. I have checked my local Costco and they only do Goodyear Excellence or Michelin Pilot Sport 4.
I would like to know what others are using and would recommend.

FYI, I am in London, UK and the car came with the following setup of Pirelli P Zero tyres

Front 245/40 R20 99Y XL Run flat
Rear 275/35/ R20 102Y XL Run flat
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #2
HPR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 35i M Sport

I recently purchased tires from Costco. I switched from a Michelin Primacy run flat to a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, which is a non run flat tire. Sizing is the same as yours...the 245 front 275 rear staggered fitment.

The new Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires provide a quieter, smoother ride than the original run flats and I believe they handle a bit better too. Just over 1k miles on them and I'm quite happy.

I did have to purchase a scissor jack, battery powered tire pump, and a repair kit. But even with the cost of the roadside repair items included, total price was less than the four run flats would have been.
      06-20-2020, 08:36 AM   #3
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

I switched from the factory Goodyear's on my X3 (square set up, not staggered like yours) to Micheline Primacy MX4M runflats. The Michelin was definitely an improvement versus the Goodyears.

I'd check those out.

If you go non-runflat, I concur with the person commenting before me. I have non-RFT winter Michelin X-ice tires and those are even better than the RFTs I got for summer.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #4
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30,E34T,E46,F48

I went with good year eagle NON run flat, I purchased a small compressor and tire plug kit to leave in my x3 for an emergency (better than nothing) I will say the ride quality is night and day. Much softer over bumps, the tires them selves look identical in tread design compared to the stock good year run flats I took off.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
t4ure4n
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 xdrive 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPR View Post
I recently purchased tires from Costco. I switched from a Michelin Primacy run flat to a Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, which is a non run flat tire. Sizing is the same as yours...the 245 front 275 rear staggered fitment.

The new Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires provide a quieter, smoother ride than the original run flats and I believe they handle a bit better too. Just over 1k miles on them and I'm quite happy.

I did have to purchase a scissor jack, battery powered tire pump, and a repair kit. But even with the cost of the roadside repair items included, total price was less than the four run flats would have been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
I switched from the factory Goodyear's on my X3 (square set up, not staggered like yours) to Micheline Primacy MX4M runflats. The Michelin was definitely an improvement versus the Goodyears.

I'd check those out.

If you go non-runflat, I concur with the person commenting before me. I have non-RFT winter Michelin X-ice tires and those are even better than the RFTs I got for summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30lover318i View Post
I went with good year eagle NON run flat, I purchased a small compressor and tire plug kit to leave in my x3 for an emergency (better than nothing) I will say the ride quality is night and day. Much softer over bumps, the tires them selves look identical in tread design compared to the stock good year run flats I took off.
Thank you all for your replies. All of you seem to like non Run Flats I will look into this.

If you have the experience of doing it, how easy is it to perform a self repair - at least to a point that you can drive the car to a tyre shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4ure4n View Post
I want to change the tyres on my 2016 X3 MSport as the current tread depth is around 3.5-4 mm on all tyres and MOT is due in September.

Can someone please advise me if I should stick with the Pirelli P Zero or try a different brand. I have checked my local Costco and they only do Goodyear Excellence or Michelin Pilot Sport 4.
I would like to know what others are using and would recommend.

FYI, I am in London, UK and the car came with the following setup of Pirelli P Zero tyres

Front 245/40 R20 99Y XL Run flat
Rear 275/35/ R20 102Y XL Run flat
My X3 35i came with the same tires yours did. I replaced them with non RFT, Continental ExtremeContact DWS but I bought new wheels because I did not want a staggered set up. When you have a staggered unidirectional set up, you cannot rotate your tires. I bought a scissors jack, cig lighter air pump, nail/screw fighting tools (vice grips, screw driver, tire plug kit, spray water bottle), 17mm deep plastic coated 1/2" drive socket and socket wrench. All that fit in the cargo area either under the cargo floor or behind the drivers side cargo panel.

I have since had to plug a tire while on a trip and was lucky to have seen the screw in my front tire while the car was parked. The tire never deflated so I jacked it up, left the tire/wheel on the car, pulled the screw out, plugged it, inflated it and was on my way. My main concern is a situation where I lose air and destroy the tire, then I'm done, right then and there. I drove from New York State to California and back with the continentals on. They were quiet and boosted my mileage to just over 31mpg when they were new.

I have since pretty much worn out those tires and my original set of staggered Pirelli's are back on the car. They are noisy and ride harsh in comparison. After having both run flats and non run flats on the same car, I think the best situation is having a car with run flats and a spare tire. I know you can now order a new X3 or X5 with an optional mini spare. The only issue with that is if you are on a trip with your cargo space full of stuff and you have to change the tire for the spare, there is no room for the big tire you take off the car, it will not fit where the mini spare was.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30,E34T,E46,F48

I use something similar to this link I’m providing. Works fantastic and I feel a mushroom style plug will last longer than a conventional plug. Obviously If you have a blow out or get a large puncture your unfortunately stranded but if you think about it similar damage to a run flat will leave you stranded as well... I’ve heard people get blow outs on a run flats and barely make it off the road before the tire walks off the rim. It all depends on the situation unfortunately, bmw was very foolish to no provide area for a spare..

Link:

https://www.amazon.com/Stop-Go-1075-...2669351&sr=8-3
Appreciate 0