Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA New M340i in Brisbane

06-19-2020, 07:11 AM   #1
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

New M340i in Brisbane

Well, it’s finally here and can’t be happier. The sunset orange was also nicer than I expected. Just went for a night drive, what a beast. One thing I’m confused about is whether or not I should get Apple Car Play. From reading the forum I thought I would but I don’t seem to have it. Says I need to pay $450 for it. Mine is a 2020 model so I thought the issue was only on 2019 models? Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 07:44 AM   #2
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bris-M340i View Post
Well, it’s finally here and can’t be happier. The sunset orange was also nicer than I expected. Just went for a night drive, what a beast. One thing I’m confused about is whether or not I should get Apple Car Play. From reading the forum I thought I would but I don’t seem to have it. Says I need to pay $450 for it. Mine is a 2020 model so I thought the issue was only on 2019 models? Any ideas?
Hmmm. I find this a bit strange.
My M340 was a Jan 2020 build and definitely has Apple CarPlay.
I suggest you take the car back to the dealer and get them to activate ACP for you free of charge.

ACP or not, I’m sure you’ve loving the thrill of driving such a car.
Enjoy!!!
      06-19-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
Ohhh LOVELY!! Congrats

Yes , some of the salesmen don't know apple carplay is for free now.
You can activate it yourself, I forget exactly which setting but there is an apple carplay tickbox option, just have a play.

Mine is March 2020 build and has it,

If you use Apple Carplay some of the BMW functionality is unavailable , like the intelligent asisstant I think , the button with the speaker symbol on the steering wheel.

Also make sure all you applications are up to date , I had an issue where I could login to connected drive via iphone app and from a browser no problem, but when I tried from the car it said ,"we have encountered and error please try again later"

After speaking to BMW Connect Drive support, they suggested the following

1. Click on Connected Drive symbol physical button to the left off your gear lever (The world symbol)

2. Move I-drive Controller to left

3.Click on Submenu

4.Click on Options physical button to the lower left of the gear lever

5. Click on Update BMW services

After I did that it did not work, then switched off the car and switched it on then it worked and I could add my profile and login successfully

Before I was always logged in as Guest user

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:45 PM   #4
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
ACP or not, I’m sure you’ve loving the thrill of driving such a car.
Enjoy!!!
Thanks Steve, absolutely. It was definitely the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #5
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
Ohhh LOVELY!! Congrats

Yes , some of the salesmen don't know apple carplay is for free now.
You can activate it yourself, I forget exactly which setting but there is an apple carplay tickbox option, just have a play.

Mine is March 2020 build and has it,

If you use Apple Carplay some of the BMW functionality is unavailable , like the intelligent asisstant I think , the button with the speaker symbol on the steering wheel.

Also make sure all you applications are up to date , I had an issue where I could login to connected drive via iphone app and from a browser no problem, but when I tried from the car it said ,"we have encountered and error please try again later"

After speaking to BMW Connect Drive support, they suggested the following

1. Click on Connected Drive symbol physical button to the left off your gear lever (The world symbol)

2. Move I-drive Controller to left

3.Click on Submenu

4.Click on Options physical button to the lower left of the gear lever

5. Click on Update BMW services

After I did that it did not work, then switched off the car and switched it on then it worked and I could add my profile and login successfully

Before I was always logged in as Guest user

Good Luck
Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I’ll give this a try and if not successful will call the dealer/BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 05:43 PM   #6
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Beautiful!
This sunset orange is really growing on me
Haven't seen many on the road yet.
Enjoy ur ride
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

All good guys. I turned on the car this morning and Apple Car Play popped up. Maybe it takes time after the dealer enabled it? Anyway super happy now. Love this car!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #8
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSUV4Me View Post
Quote:
Well, it's finally here and can't be happier. The sunset orange was also nicer than I expected. Just went for a night drive, what a beast. One thing I'm confused about is whether or not I should get Apple Car Play. From reading the forum I thought I would but I don't seem to have it. Says I need to pay $450 for it. Mine is a 2020 model so I thought the issue was only on 2019 models? Any ideas?
Beautiful!
This sunset orange is really growing on me
Haven't seen many on the road yet.
Enjoy ur ride
Thanks, must admit I was nervous ordering it as I hadn't seen it in person. Thankfully looks even better in real life.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #9
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Not biased or anything but you made the right colour choice

Congratulations!

Also you definitely should have Apple CarPlay. Connect your phone to the car via Bluetooth and your phone will ask if you want to use wireless Apple CarPlay. Once you tap yes, the connection will switch over to wifi and the car will start using CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:22 PM   #10
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
Not biased or anything but you made the right colour choice

Congratulations!

Also you definitely should have Apple CarPlay. Connect your phone to the car via Bluetooth and your phone will ask if you want to use wireless Apple CarPlay. Once you tap yes, the connection will switch over to wifi and the car will start using CarPlay
Agree on the colour and now have ACP working. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 02:42 AM   #11
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Agree on the colour and now have ACP working. Cheers
So some observations with Car Play

1. If you use the BMW maps then you get a very nice turn by turn map image on the Heads Up Display, its actually very nice
But the map on the screen is not as good as apple or google maps
2.Its quite convenient as you switch on the engine it connects immediately

Other observations
The wireless charging pad makes the phone quite hot and it does not charge very fast
So wondering if I need to use a cable

Sometimes I get a bit of a screeching sound when I play music through my Tidal app on carplay from the speakers strange, happened twice
now.

Sometimes when I press the three line symbol on the steering wheel right side it says , source not found
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 03:28 AM   #12
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:

Other observations
The wireless charging pad makes the phone quite hot and it does not charge very fast
I tried to turn it off, because it’s still a good spot to store the phone. But couldn’t find a setting. Is there such a menu item?

In the meantime I place it there screen side down so it doesn’t charge.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 04:23 AM   #13
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Quote:

Other observations
I tried to turn it off, because it’s still a good spot to store the phone. But couldn’t find a setting. Is there such a menu item?

In the meantime I place it there screen side down so it doesn’t charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Quote:

Other observations
I tried to turn it off, because it's still a good spot to store the phone. But couldn't find a setting. Is there such a menu item?

In the meantime I place it there screen side down so it doesn't charge.
Ah not sure I must play around
Yes good idea , but I am finding I also leave my phone in the car nowadays as you close the binnacle and forget its there aargh!!
There is a reminder setting I see but I have not heard any beep or light to remind me
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 05:51 AM   #14
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi Bris-M340i

There are some good Youtube BMW videos which explain all the functionality of the car

There are a whole series of these, I am watching them now , so many hidden secrets

Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 07:25 AM   #15
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi Bris-M340i

There are some good Youtube BMW videos which explain all the functionality of the car

There are a whole series of these, I am watching them now , so many hidden secrets

Enjoy
Good find, thanks for this.
Appreciate 0