E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Bouncy ride at high speed.!

09-23-2008, 01:18 AM   #1
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi AW/Saddle

Bouncy ride at high speed.!

I've been noticing that my car seems really bouncy at high speeds when i hit a smallest bump or dip or even change lanes.

The car feels like the top of the cars going up and the wheels are gripping the road. When going kinda fast and i hit the smallest dip or a bump the car bounces so much you kinda feel like body is getting airborned somewhat.

Also when i switch lanes and hit like a dip the car bounces so much that feels like i might lose control sometimes.

Is this because its an xi? Would lowering the ride cure this issue?
Or does this have anythign to do with the RFT's maybe?

My right foot weighs more than my left for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 02:22 AM   #2
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

Ive been having the same problem! I asked my friend why hasnt my car been handling like it usetoo he said it might be from the tires. Since we both have falkens on our car and he Im guessing it is the tires. He drives a s500 and he has the same problem as I do. Are your rims stock?
      09-23-2008, 02:32 AM   #3
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep

Yup stock 17's with rft. Conntinetal i think. It feels more like the cars suspension is really bouncy high.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
It's the xi suspension. I dont think tires have anything to do with the car feeling "airborne", which i do experience at times. because our ride height is very high, the center of gravity will increase as well, giving you that "not so sure it's on the ground" feeling when going over dips.

solution? coilovers. or drive slower
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

The suspension on xi sucks ass at high speed, not just the tires.

Depressions bottom the car out and any rise almost throws the car in the air.

Xi suspension is the worst I have ever had, nothing sport about it, it is shitty.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Axe Murderer with headlights

omg im not the only one...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep

Another regret buying a xi...

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #8
Doc E
Surf Caster Extraordinaire
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 ISF

its def the suspension set up...soft springs and shocks.
I took care of that with KW V3 right away. It is really night and day difference.
Actually i feel that the Xi stock suspension is unsafe for highway driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
FastLane
Live life in this lane....
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

BS its the xi-suspension. And who ever posted above me, softer suspension translates into more energy absorbtion by the fluid in the shock, thus a numming affect occurs. A stiffer set up creates a harsher ride.

Tires definitely have something to do with it. RFT's are known for having a more harsh ride. Also, the 335 utilitzes very high body sensitivity values and the front suspension is designed to let the driver know what type of pavement is below.

Easy solution: if you see a bump/dip in the road, drive around it, thats why you have a steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 09:58 PM   #10
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
The suspension on xi sucks ass at high speed, not just the tires.

Depressions bottom the car out and any rise almost throws the car in the air.

Xi suspension is the worst I have ever had, nothing sport about it, it is shitty.
I felt that way about it even at low speeds. Not smooth and very floaty
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLane View Post
BS its the xi-suspension. And who ever posted above me, softer suspension translates into more energy absorbtion by the fluid in the shock, thus a numming affect occurs. A stiffer set up creates a harsher ride.

Tires definitely have something to do with it. RFT's are known for having a more harsh ride. Also, the 335 utilitzes very high body sensitivity values and the front suspension is designed to let the driver know what type of pavement is below.

Easy solution: if you see a bump/dip in the road, drive around it, thats why you have a steering wheel.
That's crazy talk. Clearly the XI suspension is not optimal at all. I don't have RFT's and it still rides terribly. Potholes sound and feel like the whole front end will break.

If the only solution short of replacing the whole suspension is steering around obstacles, I'm getting a new car.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 11:50 PM   #12
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by exidisjon View Post
I've been noticing that my car seems really bouncy at high speeds when i hit a smallest bump or dip or even change lanes.

The car feels like the top of the cars going up and the wheels are gripping the road. When going kinda fast and i hit the smallest dip or a bump the car bounces so much you kinda feel like body is getting airborned somewhat.

Also when i switch lanes and hit like a dip the car bounces so much that feels like i might lose control sometimes.

Is this because its an xi? Would lowering the ride cure this issue?
Or does this have anythign to do with the RFT's maybe?
Hahah, like you've figured out from everyone else - the run farts are awful and the suspension is poor. Welcome to the E90XI. You'll have to consider changing out the suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
That's crazy talk. Clearly the XI suspension is not optimal at all. I don't have RFT's and it still rides terribly. Potholes sound and feel like the whole front end will break.

If the only solution short of replacing the whole suspension is steering around obstacles, I'm getting a new car.
The XI suspension is short of dangerous for anyone pushing this car around in any spirited fashion. I believe your only choice currently is H&R and KWv3 plus installation.

I cannot tell how disappointed I was when I bought this car. I thought it was broken. It is likely my last BWM for that reason .... I digress.

Since I replaced the suspension with the KWv3, it now behaves normally and has very respectable track capabilities.
      09-26-2008, 12:10 AM   #13
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I have the Sport Suspension on an I (not XI). I had same jumpiness as you describe, so it's not just an issue with the XI. I believe the OEM suspension sucks.

The runflats don't help because they are pretty stiff, but it's not the cause of the jumpiness.

Changed my suspension (springs + shocks) and a world of difference, even with the stock runflats.....car rides smoother, absorbs bumps really well and as an added bonus body rolls are reduced significantly in turns.
      09-26-2008, 01:24 AM   #14
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
I have the Sport Suspension on an I (not XI). I had same jumpiness as you describe, so it's not just an issue with the XI. I believe the OEM suspension sucks.

The runflats don't help because they are pretty stiff, but it's not the cause of the jumpiness.

Changed my suspension (springs + shocks) and a world of difference, even with the stock runflats.....car rides smoother, absorbs bumps really well and as an added bonus body rolls are reduced significantly in turns.
This makes me a feel a bit better bout buying the xi.

I guess soon in the future ill get a set of coilovers and call it a day.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #15
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

its not just the XI.
      09-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #16
R12ax7
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 340xi

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
I've come to accept the harsh, bone jarring "thunk" that comes from hitting dips, bumps and potholes but its the floating issue that I am concerned with. I feel like the harsh bumps/dips are more the tires and the heavier suspension but the "floatiness" has to have more to do with the ride height.

Anyone here on an e92 XI have a better experience with the slightly lower suspension on that? Does the e92 still float over crests of hills at higher speed?

I actually feel like my '05 Infiniti G35 stayed a little more planted going over crests at high speed - then again I was probably going 15+ mph slower than I am in the 335.

I know the XI suspension components are heavier than the I. Add in the runflats and the higher ride hight and this is the result.

While I dont regret getting the 335xi, you better believe I will be at least giving the S4 a look when my lease is up.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #17
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

the XI suspension is just crap and the bodyroll is disgusting even when hitting the slightest bumps and turns. the KWv3 are the way to go.. I was skeptable at first because of the price and how their is always bias on this board towards them but since i have the XI i really had no choice. for daily driving the V3's are not needed but a suspension upgrade is! other then springs on stock shocks which IMO is not a valid option for getting ride of that bounce and "airy" feeling..

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #18
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLane View Post

this has nothing to do with ride quality. the topic is about the handling and the car's inability to cope with high speed or sudden changes in road levels (i.e. hill undulations). What do tires have anything to do with the car when the car is airborne?

anyways, yes, the xi suspension sucks as does the ride height. If the ride height weren't so high, i dont think it would be THAT big of a deal, but it seems that all xi cars ride around in stilts (hence the handling issues). What I don't understand is why only BMWs raise the ride height. Audi and their Quattro systems don't seem to have the 4x4 ride height issues.

Oh, and another thing, don't buy springs alone. As of this point, I'm SOO tempted to just by springs (financial situation won't allow me to buy coilovers), however, there are still horror stories going around with springs busting the OEM shocks. As of this point, shocks + springs aren't an option since no shocks are available for the xi.

And coilovers are too damn expensive (i.e. KW3). H&R? Who knows when those will come out...
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #19
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12ax7 View Post
t? Does the e92 still float over crests of hills at higher speed?
it does it even better and smoother with the feeling of more control now that i have my KWs

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 08:20 PM   #20
exidisjon
PuffPuffPass
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_blue View Post
Drive around a dip??????

OK OK OK OK -- i have gone nearly airborne on the same stretch of HWY outside newark going in to Nyc.

Speed of 60-70 you sincerely feel that you will fly....down to 50ish and it is not as pronounced....I will gladly *****and I mean gladly *****repeat this experiment for anyone at BMW. It should happen. They need to understand how freaking insane this little body bounce issue is. I agree also on the pothole thing...but I think that is an RFT issue more than a chassis/susp. thing.

My thought...I need to contact my dealer. I have a fairly high profile them and this car....they replaced the head recently-- I am calling them and by god we will make this issue known. It is stupid and unacceptable.

Rant.....over for the moment.

+100000000

Its not bout driving around a dip or anything.

If you're cruising 80~90 and you decide to change lanes and go thru the little cracks or uneven pavements the car tends to "skid over it" with a airborne feeling. It isnt rough or anything its more like too soft with no grip?

Kinda scary when it happens.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #21
dakine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: mineral white e92 M3

mine feels lofty around 100, but around 110-115, it really settles down.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #22
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
this has nothing to do with ride quality. the topic is about the handling and the car's inability to cope with high speed or sudden changes in road levels (i.e. hill undulations). What do tires have anything to do with the car when the car is airborne?

anyways, yes, the xi suspension sucks as does the ride height. If the ride height weren't so high, i dont think it would be THAT big of a deal, but it seems that all xi cars ride around in stilts (hence the handling issues). What I don't understand is why only BMWs raise the ride height. Audi and their Quattro systems don't seem to have the 4x4 ride height issues.

Oh, and another thing, don't buy springs alone. As of this point, I'm SOO tempted to just by springs (financial situation won't allow me to buy coilovers), however, there are still horror stories going around with springs busting the OEM shocks. As of this point, shocks + springs aren't an option since no shocks are available for the xi.

And coilovers are too damn expensive (i.e. KW3). H&R? Who knows when those will come out...
Whoa, what stories of busted shocks?! That sounds kinda scary. This site or another re the busted shock stories?

Also, is the .8" increase in ride height really THAT much of a difference? I've seen some other non-335 E90s and they don't look any different in the wheel gap buy maybe they had smaller rims?

I'm not one to track or autocross my (stock) 08 335XI so I'm not that into the suspension to understand what the difference would feel like.

I get the "floatiness" though too. It's really weird, like there's just no suspension travel so the whole car gets thrown up when going over a bump vs just the wheel/suspension moving up&down.

Does anyone have a technical explanation of exactly what KX v3s or other coilovers are doing vs what the stock suspension is not able to do? e.g. the KWs have lower/higher rate springs, give 2" more travel, harder rebound and softer compression vs stock etc.

thanks

BB
Appreciate 0